“The Ideal Place to Stay in Albany”
Review of Hilton Albany

Hilton Albany
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I had business at the State Education Department (about 100 yards away) and found the Albany Hilton to have great views of the historic downtown. I looked out my window, saw two chapels, five or six buildings of different architectural styles, and the state legislature. It was like a view into a small cute town with great architecture. Wonderful.

No one walks the streets at night in downtown Albany (related note: Note: There is no ATM in the hotel. There are several in the immediate vicinity. If you are wary of going out at night into the dark get cash before dark) so I was very happy that there was fairly large lobby with plenty of couches and places to sit, as well as as large bar/table where one could eat/read if they wanted to be alone. It is in a nook where the coffee stand is.

Note: In the next year or two the empty streets may fill up. One reason they are empty is the 5 buildings up the street are all being converted to lofts (and thus temporarily empty).

The lobby is bright and happy while also being somewhat relaxing. There is both a restaurant and a bar. Near the bar are a bank of computers that can be used (I believe free).

The people are very eager to please. The check in people were friendly and professional. The bar waiter made me a special house salad with chicken (by request) and the chicken was wonderful!

The room was very clean and the shower was excellent. The bed was very comfortable (firm) and there were an array of pillows.

The next morning I woke up and had a soy steamer (half coffee/half steamed soy at the coffee store in the lobby. It was outstanding! The person who made it (Bob?) was excellent. I have this drink all the time but never had it done as well. Compliments to the man that made them.

Newspapers are provided at the hotel free. Toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash are at the desk (ask they are free). The shampoo and soap in the bathroom is great.

The cab system in Albany is terrible. Some seven hours after I had checked out I returned to the hotel and they gave me a complimentary ride to the Amtrak station. (Of course, please tip the driver. You are saving between $15 and $45 by not taking a taxi. A bus from the corner of the hotel goes to the Amtrak station for $1.50 as well.)

You probably could stay in a generic suburban hotel outside of the city, but there is something nice about staying in a downtown.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a view facing the Capital and State (I think) street.
1  Thank urbanitebd211
JD-GM-ALBHH, General Manager at Hilton Albany, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear Urbanitebd211,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. Your review of both our city and hotel were quite detailed. You are correct that our city is embarking on a great development project which will add shops, offices and residences, along with a Convention Center. All of these new additions will be within three city blocks of walking distance from our hotel.

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our staff, along with our hotel amenities and our renovations. We look forward to welcoming you back to Albany and the Hilton.

John D'Adamo

Write a ReviewReviews (1,228)

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I stayed here one night this week and it enjoyed my stay! The staff was very nice and helpful. Also, the hotel was in a great location. It is close to the Egg, the Corning Tower, and the NY State Capitol. I would certainly stay here again!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear RegePG,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We are located in the heart of historic downtown Albany. Walking distance to the Hudson River, State Capitol and the Emoire State Plaza, just to name a few.

I am happy that our team exceeded your expectations in service. We look forward to servicing you upon your next trip to Albany.

'

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Spacious, quiet, clean... attentive, friendly, accommodating ... these are just a few worlds to describe the Hilton Albany accommodations & service.

My wife & I stayed with our twin 3-month-old children & we couldn't have had a better experience. Aside from the ups & downs of traveling with infants. :)

I highly recommend the Hilton Albany to anyone, traveling with family or otherwise.

Room Tip: As with most, the rooms are the upper floors are best. Specific needs/amenities aside.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
JD-GM-ALBHH, General Manager at Hilton Albany, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Ihplam,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Albany. I am glad that we exceeded you and your families expectations in Five Star Fashion !! I agree with you that our higher floors provide spectacular views of our historic city. Additionally our Executive Lounge on our 13th floor is something to behold as a Hilton HHonors member.

Looking forward to welcoming you back. Perhaps when the twins turn 4.

Cheers !!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

......was treated VERY well, service a bit slow in restaurant but there were MANY of "us" and honestly, a bit too few of "them!" Room had lovely view of a couple of nearby churches and State buildings, comfy beds, modern bath and plenty of drawer & storage space. Saw many employees stopping to give directions, answer questions...all in all very nice "attitude" throughout! HUGE buffet style dinner Saturday truly had all dietary choices covered! Friends told me pool & spa were GREAT! Parking included with your room. Hilton Albany helped make our Convention extra special!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
JD-GM-ALBHH, General Manager at Hilton Albany, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear Pamela H,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Albany on Trip Advisor. I was glad to see that our team exceeded your expectations in most every area. I will discuss with our Food and Beverage Manager the need for additional staff in Charter Restaurant when a large group such as yours will be in the hotel.

We look forward to servicing your group once again.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

From check in to check out, service was top class. The event facilities were well maintained and everyone was friendly. I travel frequently and loved this hotel. In-room service was fast and accurate. The chocolate lava cake is a must!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Mariana C,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was happy to read that our staff exceeded your expectations in Every area of the Hotel !! I will also pass along your compliments to Room Service and the Chef for their prompt service and exceptional menu and food, "especially the dessert" :-).

Thank you again.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

In Albany for training, which included lodging at the Hilton. As many others have noted, the only way to control the temperature in the room, as I was told at the front desk, was to open a window. Great, 10th floor, no screen (who knows what could fly in) and now I get to hear the traffic noise, sirens, beeping crosswalk signs, and busses all night. Either that, or sweat in an 80 degree room. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable and the room and bathroom were clean. Restaurant breakfast buffet was good, but overpriced ($12.95 for a cold buffet that would be free at many brands, $18.95 for a hot buffet, more if you wanted an omelet instead of scrambled eggs). For the money, I feel there are other less expensive chains that offer better value.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Raymond H,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was happy to know that we received high reviews on the comfort of your room, along with the cleanliness of the hotel. I am glad to read that our food quality for breakfast was up to your expectations as well. I do apologize regarding the temperature in your guest room. We do operate with Heat in the colder months and then Air Conditioning during the warmer months. Not withstanding of this system we need to do a better job monitoring the temperature of our guest rooms to insure maximum comfort for all of our guests.

All comments are valuable to the improvement of our product and service.

Thank you again.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights for the Greater NY/NJ Region 15 Sweet Adelines International women's chorus contest. Found the hotel very easily - good access from major highways and central to all the major attractions in downtown Albany. The management worked very hard to make the first gathering in Albany (past years were in Philadelphia) a comfortable, convenient and smooth transition for a large group with many requirements to carry out their contest as they have done for many years. The hotel definitely came through with only a few glitches that I'm sure can be worked out with future contests. Rooms, bathrooms and linens were clean and comfortable though bathrooms are quite small. Room service was a little slow but it was a very busy night for them I'm sure with a hotel full of hungry singers to feed on friday night... The food was tasty and hot when it came. Breakfast on Sunday morning in the restaurant on premises was very good with the choice of a breakfast buffet or off the menu. The pool was cool and the spa hot...both lovely and clean with nice, large towels available. I called guest services twice - once for extra sheets and another for a warm blanket which were delivered quickly by very pleasant staff. The hotel was apparently just renovated and redecorated recently with a very modern, sleek appearance and is well done. The parking garage is attached to the hotel and is very convenient. All staff encounters were pleasant and professional. The thermostat in the worked fine and we were able to keep the room nice and cool through the night though when we first got there we were told it was not working. The refrigerator in the room was as small as they come and there was no microwave which would seem to be a necessity nowadays.

Room Tip: Nice if you can get a room with a view of the Hudson River or even of the Capitol building.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Robin122,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It was a lot of Fun for our hotel to host the Sweet Adelines convention this year , as well as the next two years here in Albany. I am happy to see that you dined in our Restaurant and in Room Service. I will pass along your compliments of our Food to our Execuive Chef and his Team.

Robin, we look forward to seeing yourself and the Sweet Adelines back in our hotel next year and for many years to come !!

Cheers !!