“Decent Place”
Review of Hilton Albany

Hilton Albany
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed March 24, 2014

God Hotel to stay...Place can be bit crowded and the service is just up to the mark...But over all...it was a good experience...Nice amenities and room... Internet works fine... Resto and bar were good...The fitness centre is quite nice...

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
JD-GM-ALBHH, General Manager at Hilton Albany, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Kulbir Singh M,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was glad to see that our team met your expectations for dining and service. We look forward to servicing again upon your return to the "States".

John D'Adamo

Write a ReviewReviews (1,228)

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I was hoping for a 5 star hotel,,from outside and once into the lobby it is a 5 star hotel..Things started to go downhill real fast at check in..I usually don't book using HHonors because I use other awards programs but this time I decided to try..It was a pleasant surprise that when I booked I was offered upgrades at a discount if available at check in..Wow,,that felt really good and I chose to upgrade to a very nice suite...I was really looking forward to relaxing in my upgraded suite..When I arrived at the hotel parking garage a few hours early I called the hotel and asked if I could check in early..I was informed that my upgraded suite was ready yet but would be later..I went to the TImes Union Arena for a few hours then tried to check in at 615pm..My suite still wasn't ready so I had to take the room I originally booked,..At this point i was disappointed but the front desk lady was outstanding,,she offered comps but I wasnt interested then she gave me free parking..Now I am still in the lobby and the place is busy..The lounge is fantastic with great service at the lounge..I think there was a wedding reception going on so there were beautiful women all over the place..Also I failed to mention that this Hilton is located in a great spot,,walking distance to almost everything downtown..Restaurants and bars and the Times Union Arena only a few blocks away..5 star location..Now here is when it starts to go get bad..Walked into my room and paint is peeling from the ceiling in the room and in the bathroom.I wouldn't expect that at a Hilton.There was only one washcloth in the room,,I had a problem with the cable signal so I couldn't watch NCAA March Madness,..Someone wrote something on the bathroom mirror that you can only see it after the bathroom steamed up..I erased it..The bed was comfortable,,
At 430 am I heard a bunch of guys in the next room,,,they were very very loud and you could hear everything they were talking about..I eventually fell back to sleep.When I woke up it was freezing in the room..I found the heat off so I turned it on..It was 56 in the room..The heat was on for an hour and it only went up to 59,,then it started getting colder so I decided to check out. I didn't complain about anything so part of this is my fault...Now I am still thinking that the front desk is great..When I checked out the reps were very friendly and they were asking guest how did they enjoy their stay..When I finally get to check out all I get was "you are all set" and my receipt...I felt that was a little cold..Then I noticed that I was over charged..I still can't figure out what happened..I think I was charged for my upgrade..Now I just wanted to leave...Now I am thinking I'm glad I at least received a free parking voucher but no one was at the parking booth so everyone leaving at that time received free parking..LOL..I will still return,,mostly because of the location,the lounge and I LOVE ALL HILTONS but I will pass on booking with HH awards.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Dear Jeropero, Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I appreciated your receptiveness to our renovations , as well as the atmosphere you felt in our bar Sessions. I am disappointed to read about how we did not have your suite available, at the time of check in.

I would like to speak with you more about this, especialy if you were charged for an upgrade which you did not receive. You may email directly john.d'adamo@hilton.com.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

For a downtown, hotel. with no parking lot, but a charge next door garage, there should be a parking attendant and valet service. Also someone to help with your bags, the bellmen also drive the shuttle, not good!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
JD-GM-ALBHH, General Manager at Hilton Albany, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

DEar John C,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your constructive comments regarding our Bellmen and Drivers. It is a challenge at times when your Bellmen and Drivers are two in the same. We strive to make your experience positive and memorable. Unfortunately the demand of our Bellmen to drive at times does affect our Bell service.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

The Hilton Albany made a great first impression. It is a beautiful hotel with a top notch buffet. It is conveniently located in the downtown area and I was given a room with an incredible view of the Albany courthouse that while impressive by day, is truly a marvel at night when lit up in florescent colors. I was greeted warmly and checked in by Seema at the front desk who continued to greet me by first name every time she saw me throughout the remainder of my stay.

Unfortunately, I need mention that my 4 night stay was not entirely pleasant. What is comforting is that the management makes every effort to remedy the mistake if the issue is serious enough. If you ever have any issues, seek out Lauren Hayward and Mohamed Hemmid. They are kind, thoughtful, and sympathetic.

MY ISSUE: I was treated incredibly rudely by a driver who dropped me off at the wrong location in Albany. The ride itself was pleasant enough - I made small talk, gave him a tip, etc. However, as soon as I got dropped off, I realized it was the wrong location. When I called the hotel worried and concerned I did not know where I was, the switchboard operator transferred me to the taxi stand where my driver told me I gave him the wrong address, that it was on me, and hung up - leaving me stranded. I walked to work infuriated that morning weaving my way through parking garages, back alleys, an errant hallways of public buildings. While I had left with plenty of time, this resulted in me being 20 minutes late to my first day of work - the reason I was even in town. I returned my call to the switchboard operator, Kevin Mitchell, who was concerned, and apologetic. He told me he would leave a message with a manager who would call me back before the end of business day. I never got a call.

That evening, I spoke to managers Lauren and Mohammed. They listened, apologized, told me they would speak to the driver, and in a kind gesture offered me some some hotel perks. While I assured both Lauren and Mohammed that this would remain private, as a long-time Hilton Honors member with a lot of stays logged under my belt, I feel that this issue needs to come to light for reasons I will give below.

What concerns me about this situation in particular is that I was later told by other staff members that this particular driver has has several complains logged against him in the past and that what he did to me was not "surprising." What is further disturbing is that an apologetic friend of his on staff (who I assume was sent to me to do damage control in the hopes I would not I report his) told me that the driver sometimes gets moody. Also that he was not really into his job - as if that was an appropriate excuse for the way I was treated. I also found it interesting that he was telling other members of staff about our situation and felt additionally vindicated in his behavior.

So, I don't know who this person is related to or what other sort of leverage he has with Hilton, but it became apparent to me at this property that while he has a history of mistreating guests, and everyone else just covers for him and puts up with his behaviors - paying off guests along the way. This is not the way to go and I hope that by writing this review I will be the last person he mistreats.

For the remainder of my stay, I went out of my way to avoid him and ceased use of the hotel shuttle service with the exception of my ride to the airport, where I made sure that I would not have to ride with him.

Everything else about my stay was great and on-point. Bonus shout out to restaurant hostess, Valerie who offered me a latte order and got it right every morning at breakfast. I would've given this beautiful property a 5 star review of excellent had it not been for this odd situation.

Room Tip: I received a room on a high floor that faced the downtown courthouse. It was mesmerizing - especiall...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
JD-GM-ALBHH, General Manager at Hilton Albany, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Henry C,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Albany. I was very happy to read that overall you enjoyed our service and staff. I was however disappointed to read about the service from our shuttle driver. I do apologize for the lack of professionalism shown to you. I can assure you that we accept and welcome constructive comments such as yours. We will address and council when appropriate.

Henery, we look forward to servicing you again when you visit from Brooklyn.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

I had stayed at this hotel a few times each year on business prior to the renovations. It was ok then but older decor and kind of dark inside. My company switched to a different hotel in the area just prior to the renovations but for this trip that hotel was booked solid so 2 of my coworkers and I decided to try this Hilton again. We were very pleasantly surprise as soon as we walked in the door. It looks like a completely different hotel and made us feel like we were in a different city. Very bright and open and all the updates to the lounge, registration, restaurant, and guest rooms are excellent. The bathrooms in the guest rooms are beautiful and the lighting is perfect. We ate dinner and breakfast in the Charter restaurant. Especially liked the high back seats at the tables in the restaurant dining room. The food at the Charter restaurant was excellent but the service was on the slow side. It was more leisurely than we expected, considering we did not order drinks or appetizers. We only had dinner and dessert and it took 2 full hours. Considering there was just the 3 of us at our table and there was only one other diner in the whole place when we got there at 5pm, we felt it should have moved a little quicker. Our server was very congenial and helpful, nonetheless. We will definitely stay here again the next time we are in Albany.

Dear Linda C,

Thank you for your recent review of both the Hilton Albany and Charter restaurant in the Hilton. Also, thank you as well for your high praises of Decor, Comfort, Cleanliness and Food Quality.

Linda, we are glad that you came back to give us another try after renovations. Let's get you signed up for Hilton HHonors the next time you're back in town and staying with us!!

All the Best !!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I am writing on behalf of our recent conference the InterAgency just had at the Hilton Albany. I want to start off by expressing how extraordinarily attentive the hotel's staff has been to our event. I know these things do not happen without a great deal of effort on the part of everyone, and I want the staff to know how much we appreciate their hard work. More importantly, I would like to point out Brian Murphy's extreme level of detail and hard work he consistently puts into our conference each year. We are very fortunate to have him organize the details of our conference, and look forward to working with him each year. To a job well done – thank you!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Priya M,

Thank you for your comments about the Hilton Albany . I am happy that your Inter Agency conference was succesful !! We always share with our staff all of our guests comments, however it is extra special when the team receives Five Stars in every area.

Thank you again.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Was there for a conference and was pleasantly greeted as I arrived in the lobby.The staff checked me in as quickly as possible and I was pointed in the right direction to the Conference rooms.The rooms were clean and spacious the beds very comfortable.Breakfast and lunch were a part of the package and were delicious. The Charter Restaurant there had a simple and varied menu. I ordered the Roast Duck which came with rice and broccoli. The duck was tender, the skin crispy( just the way I like it) and the Blueberry Demi-Glaze was outstanding! Much better than the old Orange glaze standard.Rice was fine the broccoli was crisp tender. All in all it was a great conference with the staff helping in any way they could.A wonderful place to have a conference, meeting, or just to come for a good meal.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C noise
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
JD-GM-ALBHH, General Manager at Hilton Albany, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear JimWilliams58,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Albany . After reading your review I wanted to head upstairs to Charter Restaurant and ask my Chef to make me the Duck !! Jim, thank you as well for all of your Five Star ratings about the other areas of the hotel. I was happy to read that we exceeded your expectations.

Warm regards,