“What a Wonderful Place!”

New York State Museum
Ranked #2 of 67 things to do in Albany
More attraction details
Owner description: Under the leadership of the New York State Education Department, this museum and research center preserves New York State's artistic, social, historical and environmental legacies through such exhibits as "Native Peoples of New York," "The Cohoes Mastodont" and "Black Capital: Harlem in the 20s."
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I arrived on Monday and it was closed............On Tuesday I had a conference to go to, but I did manage to take about 20 minutes at the end of the day to look at the exhibit commemorating the attacks on the World Trade Center........and it is absolutely amazing. Can't wait to return and spend several hours.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

As a resident of NYC, I've been to many museums ranging in all types of art, history, and architecture so I wasn't expecting the NYS Museum to take my breath away as it did. In retrospect, how couldn't I be amazed by this facility. It is dedicated solely to the attractions and history of NY. The exhibits range from early Native American settlements with an impressive life-sized Longhouse model, to the tenement slums of the Lower East Side, the Fifth Avenue elite, Harlem's evolution, life in the Adirondacks, and a very moving tribute to 9/11. It was hard to see actual debris, parts of the building and view the photos again, but everything is done so tastefully that I just wanted to read and see more. The fourth floor features early model vehicles and aircraft and a beautifully renovated early 1900s carousel. Suggested donation to ride is $1 and well worth it. the museum is free and no one hounds you to donate, but there are donation boxes located in the lobby. I felt compelled to throw some money in, without this museum many people would not be able to truly understand the beauty and importance of NY.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

give yourself time....all ages can enjoy...parking is available and you can drop off and then park the museums displays are ever changing with some remaining steadfast... the 9/11 display is phenomenal, as is the one which depicts the depression, if you are older look at the dates do the math...this could be coming our way again...

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Large museum with great permanent and traveling exhibitions. Nicely designed space and the exhibits are always interesting and explained well. And free, so there's no need to try and pack all the exhibits into one visit (if you live in the area.) I spent 2.5 hrs there and still have plenty to see.

Note: Parking is free after 2pm in the adjacent lot.

If you find yourself in Albany (or anywhere in the area) with time to kill, it's definitely worth checking out.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I had never been to the museum and wanted to take my son while we were in town for the day. Apparently there was an art show and a rock show the same day. I had no interest in either, but was told at the desk "I would need to pay for one or the other or both." Nobody told me that the flower show was in the main museum, and the rock show was upstairs. I ended up paying for the rocks, as that sounded more amusing then flowers, and went to go into the museum (to see the exhibits downstairs) and was told I would need to pay for the flower show to see the exhibits downstairs. This is rough for a free museum, particularly when they told me I could no longer get the discounted rate for both shows ($8 for both, $5 each), as I had already purchased a ticket for one. So, $10 later I got in. The 9/11 exhibits and the fire displays are fantastic. Most of the museum was great and I will definitely be back with others. Really enjoyed my time and my one year old also seemed to have a good time in the kids room. For $10 (which I found out was a donation, so it didn't bother me as much), it was well worth the afternoon.