“Mingle will make your taste buds tingle”
Review of Mingle - CLOSED

Mingle
Cuisines: Korean, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
NY
“Mingle will make your taste buds tingle”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Thanks to bookends Mingle and New World Bistro, Delaware Avenue now offers the hottest food (literally) in town. The spice index at Mingle may rival the renowned heat down the street at New World Bistro, thanks in large part to its authentic Korean influence, where hearty accents of kimchi accompany a number of dishes (on the evening I dined one of the specials was a side dish of kimchi fries.) Don’t be scared away by that, though, as there are more mellow offerings that are just as stimulating. A Five-Cheese Mac and Cheese (available with the five cheeses, or in versions featuring lobster, or chicken and spinach and marinara, or kimchi and pork belly) is one of those decadent alternatives, as is a Broiled Salmon with Cherry-Riesling reduction. A Chicken and Shrimp Cacciatore sounds like it lies on that mild but still flavorful side, while some spicy in-between options are the Chicken and Chorizo Creole, and the Mediterranean Paella – both of which utilize smoked chorizo sausage for their heat.
It’s the Korean influence that makes this restaurant a unique, stand-out spot, thanks to the magic of Chef Un-Hui Filomeno, who’s been imparting this sort of culinary magic to the Capital District for two decades. The Korean Tacos here – part of the lighter fare or appetizer portion of the menu – are a ravishing way to begin. A soft but sturdy corn tortilla is filled with your choice of beef or chicken that has been marinated and cooked in sesame oil and soy, tossed in gochujang and stuffed with apple-radish kimchi, Napa cabbage, scallions and a spicy yogurt sauce. The end result has a bite tempered with the perfect amount of tang to leave the tongue tingling and wanting for more.
Continuing my heat-seeking trajectory, I ordered the Korean Style Bulgokee (beef marinated in sesame oil and soy then broiled, served with sticky rice, house-made kimchi, gochujang and red leaf lettuce for wrapping.) The beef was perfectly cooked – tender and substantial of texture, rich and redolent of flavor and aroma – and proportioned amply enough to provide meat for every ruffled lettuce leaf (and even a bit more.) Additional home-style Korean fare includes Bibimbap, Chap Chae, Kimchi Jigae, and Ojingo Bokkum.
As mentioned, there are more-muted offerings on hand for the less adventurous taste-buds – a delectable-sounding Filet A Poivre, a Pan-seared Duck Breast with a Port Raisin sauce, a traditional Meatloaf, and a Pork Schnitzel – each served with a side of heat in the kimchi mashed potatoes. All of the entrees that were coming out of the kitchen looked significant of size, and the sizable lighter fare menu offers excellent choices for those desiring a little less – including an Asian burger (with cucumber kimchi), Pan fried Yakimandu (chicken dumplings with ricotta cheese, soy bean sprouts, scallions, and napa cabbage), and a pair of flatbread pizzas. In other words, there’s something for everyone.
Aptly named for its convivial atmosphere, Mingle offers exceptional food in a jovial setting: at the time I arrived a couple of strangers were becoming fast friends at the bar, and the tables were enjoying friendly exchanges with the staff. Good food and drink always seem to inspire an easy camaraderie, and a restaurant running on all happy cylinders seems to inspire such joy in its patrons. This is one of those places that has so many unique and varied dishes that you will need to go back over and over and over – and I’m not at all sorry that it is so.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Alan I

Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida
“Excellent cuisine in Albany!”
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

We were so impressed by everything at Mingle. Food with a Korean twist was different, flavorful and generous. We had the Zuppa Combo which consisted of green lip mussels and clams. Spicy and delicious. We followed that with a wonderful tuna, Steak Diane and an interesting take on cacciatore- shrimp and chicken. Service was delightful and wine list very affordable.

1 Thank Jane L
New York
“Must try - Albany NY”
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

The host was very charming and welcoming! Met friends at the bar, and Dave the bartender was awesome! Best Lemon Drop martini I have had. We sat for dinner..Tawni hosted us, and she was the best. We started with the cheese board (I highly recommend). One of us had a salad, one pasta, and I had the Chop Chae - spicy..all very good. Ordered chocolate mousse type for dessert..very good..but my only criticism is in the dessert presentation. I will go back. Unique place, really good good, and excellent service.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank HeatherG13NY
Massachusetts
“It was OK...”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I made reservations for New Years Eve about 2 weeks in advanced. We got stuck in traffic on the way there and called to let them know we were going to be about 5 minutes later for our reservations, they said it would be fine. We should up 5 minutes late and when we walked in and gave our names, the hostess proceeded to tell us we had an hour and a half to eat/spend at the table, because they would need the table at that time. It seemed a little rude because it was pretty much the first thing out of her mouth but we said OK. Our waitress was nice enough but nothing note worthy. We both got drinks and they were both very good. I had the Sangria which I would recommend. My boyfriend ordered the meatloaf and I ordered the chicken and chorizo creole. When the food came out, I found a hair in mine. Hey it happens. The waitress was very apologetic and said she would have the kitchen make me a new one right away. In less then 10 minutes I had a new meal. The manager came over and apologized and even bought me my second sangria. Both our meals were good, but really, not excellent. I don't know if we didn't order the right thing but I was a little more hopeful after reading reviews the food would be better. The meatloaf was better than my dish and the kimchi potatoes were really interesting and delicious. My creole dish was good, nice and spicy, but if I ever go again I would not order it. Over the place is worth trying, next time I would just try to order a Korean dish.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank nicoleb610
Guilderland, New York
“Different in a great way”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My daughter who is glutin intolerant urged us to take her there because of their extensive glutin free menue . I on the other hand like my glutin , what I found was a spectacular combination that catered to all , the food was different and great !!! Service was also stellar : we will b back .

• Visited November 2013