“Wonderful food and friendly staff!”
Review of Mingle - CLOSED

Mingle
Cuisines: Korean, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 7, 2013

One of the best meals I have had in Albany! They had wonderful appetizer choices and a great mix of dinner options. We had the fruit and cheese board as an app and it was HUGE! Definitley worth it. The staff was great, very knowledgeable of the food and drink menus. We will be back!

1  Thank Jenn A

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Mingle had assumed a mythic status around our house; our son had promised to take me there for my birthday two years ago and never got around to it--so it entered our family lexicon as a kind of Shangri-La. This afternoon, on the eve of our 28th wedding anniversary, my husband and I were flirting with the idea of either a supermarket pizza or leftovers when our son called us and invited us to Mingle to celebrate our Big Day early. We aren’t stupid—we changed and hopped into the car and sped to Delaware Avenue for our 6:30 reservation.

I have never, EVER been greeted as warmly upon entering a restaurant as we were by the hostess at this charming little bistro. It was as if she had been waiting all her life to welcome us. The bar was absolutely packed with revelers and there was nothing to separate it from the dining room, nor was there any kind of baffling to muffle sound. Hmmm. Ordinarily, noise at this level would irritate the dickens out of me, but this was such JOYFUL noise. It actually enhanced our experience. Dining here was like being with a giant, happy group of unknown family members. The tables are close together, which makes Mingle even more "communal."

The wine list was reasonably priced and well-thought-out and the beer offerings were microbrews, for the most part although Budweiser, Coors Light, Corona and Heineken were available. I can’t even remember the name of the ale I chose, but it was so delicious I had two glasses and our son switched from the lager he had selected.

The menu is so eclectic it defies categorization. Fusion is such a silly word, but I guess it’s appropriate to define the “mingling” of Korean, Mediterranean and Italian cuisine on offer. We had a horrible time trying to decide on entrées, so my husband ordered a bowl of Tuscan meatball soup and Son, Girlfriend and I split a sumptuous order of calamari that made my fillings throb while we perused the menu. Eventually I opted for paella, Son selected a Meatlover’s Something (pork belly, chicken and beef), Girlfriend went with the crab cake special and my husband chose pork schnitzel with a port/craisin sauce.

Well. Everything was divine. We all shared bites and drained our water glasses many, MANY times, because the genius in the kitchen is NOT shy with garlic or pepper. I don’t think we’ve ever dined anywhere where everyone at the table was so happy. Not a clunker in the bunch. My son’s dinner included daikon kimchi, and it was the best I’ve ever had (I am an ESL teacher and I have been blessed with a lot of talented Korean cooks as students. I am a HUGE kimchi fan.)

Here’s another thing that struck me—EVERY person working there had a huge, sincere smile on his or her face. Amazing. Our server, Adam, was brilliant—patient, knowledgeable, professional, cordial. He didn’t put a foot wrong all night.

I have no qualms at all about gushing about this restaurant. It is a GEM. They pride themselves on serving seasonal, locally-sourced organic food and have numerous vegetarian and gluten-free options (upon being seated, we were asked if any in our party would require a special menu. Outstanding.). Also—the women’s restroom was beautiful and immaculately clean.

Our check (four microbrews, a bowl of soup, a calamari appetizer, four dinners (with leftovers) and a complimentary mug of chocolate raspberry mousse came to $170--a wonderful value.

This was an evening we will remember for a very long time. I cannot wait to return.

3  Thank Lori12309
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

What I love most about Mingle is its consistency. Everything is always great! The food is unique and fresh. Plus the wine list is diverse.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Mingle is a jewel in Albany's dining establishments. Small, with not much decor, this place serves up great Korean Fusion dining! From the outside, the place hides the wonderful dining experience that you are going to have once you enter its doors. The staff is friendly and they know their menu, as well as their wines. Also, they know how to deal with people with food allergies and can make great recommendations or substitutions. One great dish is the Cheese Mac, this American standby, is a comfort food lovers dream come true. Pasta and various cheese come together to make a mouth watering meal. The Tuna dish is outstanding, pan seared and with fresh local vegies. Don't miss this place! But, come early the parking is a pain, but there is plenty along the street...but, don't let this small problem stop you from a truly great dining treat.

1  Thank Barry D
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The exterior is unimpressive and hardly inviting.The restaurant doesn't look like anything special from the outside. But -comfortable...friendly..and cozy was what i felt from the staff and venue from the moment I entered until I left.
Before being seated our waiter asked if any of us had special accommodation needs,
'Gluten free? Vegan? Vegetarian?" For anyone who needs one of those accomadations- it was nice to be asked in a way that made it clear that staff actually understood what each term meant and that dishes could easily be modified.
The menu had numerous choices begging to be tried. It was hard to settle...but it was paella for me. Companions ordered Chilean bass,tuna un hui, vegetarian 3 cheese mac and cheese and more paella.Most of the dishes had different ranges of "heat" and waiter defined each skillfully.
My paella was more than yummy.We're talking sensual delight....
Now despite ordering paella, i'm not a big fan of calimari. If eveyone cooked their calimari like Mingle I'd be eating it all the time. Every part of the dish was delightful. and while I was savoring each mouthful I managed to hear the contented sighs and quasi moans of delight from my companions. At a certain point I think conversation just stopped. It interferred with the mindfulness of the moment.
Companions who had been to Mingle previously said they were thinking about their next Mingle meal before they exited the restaurants door. Certainly true for me.I'm still thinking about what I want to try next.

1  Thank tomtdn