“A great place to hang out and enjoy great beer selection” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The City Beer Hall

The City Beer Hall
Reserve with OpenTable
The City Beer Hall is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 681 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Gastropub, American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Poughkeepsie, New York, United States
“A great place to hang out and enjoy great beer selection”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Bottom line: very nice atmosphere in a beautiful building! They have a VERY large beer selection - so everyone can find something they like. A nice "bonus": for ever beer you order, you get a ticket / coupon that can be redeemed for a personal thin crust (like a tortilla) pizza. Although ordered additional food items (which were very nice), we found this free pizza to be actually very nice! it was fresh and tasty and a nice companion for the cold beer :) I would recommend this place if you're around the area (also - very close to the Times Union Center!).... or even worth driving there :)

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Gilad I

Averill Park, New York
“Best Gastropub in the Capital District”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

This place is tucked behind the Times Union Center on what most people would consider more of an alley than a street, but do yourself a favor and check this place out! An amazing beer selection served by bartenders who actually know about, and enjoy talking about beer! A Chef in the back who really gives a damn about what comes out of his kitchen! The charcuterie plate was as good as it gets, starring the Chef's amazing Duck Pastrami pared with an array of salamis and local cheeses. The entrees are playfully concieved, and thoughtfully executed. With a fire in the fireplace on a crisp Spring day, and conversation with good friends, this place is a homerun shot!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Delicious unusual food and great beer selection.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was fresh with unusual twists on American favorites. I had a duck pastrami Ruben that was delicious. Couldn't stay for Wednesday bingo but I bet it was fun.

• Visited May 2013
Ithaca, New York
“Good food, good beer selection, incompetent doorman”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stopped in for a drink on our way to a show, service at that time was very good and their menu looked very interesting so we decided to come back after the show (about 10PM). It's a younger crowd at that time (understandably so) after being ID'd at the door I asked the doorman about dinner seating, he mumbled something about asking someone else then proceeded to look at a another customers ID, when I asked him for some clarity he basically ignored me, at which point I was ready to walk out. Luckily for us, a young lady asked us if we needed seating. Once seated, service was awesome, our server was very attentive and knowlegable. We ordered some great appetizers and a beer sampling. It was a little loud, but that's to be expected after 10PM on a Saturday.

Albany, New York
“Ok food, ok service, good beer!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

If I could have given them 3.5 stars I would have. I just couldn't go with 4 for a couple reasons. This review is based on a brunch only. I have gone for a beer before but I am not going to write a review based on that. I will say that the free pizza was more like an english muffin with ketchup and american cheese however but I don't go there for pizza so who cares. I recently went with a group of 8 or so for brunch. As far as the overall atmosphere of the place it was fun for sure. The waitress was very nice and the crowd was there for a good time. They have done a great job reviving the old Ogdens and creating a new place to go for beers. The food was ok to good. I ordered the steak and egg breakfast. I don't know why they asked how I wanted my eggs. They came out in a uniform patty well done (asked for ever medium) all the yolks had been broken and cooked thru leaving no runny yolk. This may sound like I am being a jerk but hey, they asked me. If they said fried or scrambled then I would have nothing to say. The hanger steak was great, cooked to perfection. I got some really obviously cheap Sysco brand frozen homefries. If you are going to charge $15.99 for this meal take the time to make your own homefries, they aren't expensive to make and taste so much better. The toast was great for what it is worth! My wife got the gourmet grilled cheese. The sandwich looked good but they put so few fries on her plate I was actually surprised it made it to the table. We ended up ordering a separate side. I think there were literally about 8 skinny fries on the plate. At $10.99 we expected more. It even looked weird so they lost points there. It was clear to me that the owner or at least the chef is trying to skimp wherever they can to achieve a high profitability percentage on the meals. There are some improvements that need to be made but please believe me when I say the food did taste good and if someone invited me back I would go. I am not however in a rush to get back soon on my own. As far as service it took really long to get drink refills. They were very busy however the bar had two bartenders and not many patrons. This had me thinking that they had inexperienced staff or a slow bartender. Nothing rings up a bill faster and makes the place more money than alcohol! If someone wants another beer or drink get it to them! I probably would have had one more drink if I didn't spend so much time waiting for them. If everyone at the table felt that way it would have added 6-8 drinks to the bill. The girls at the table were complaining that the bathroom grossed them out because all the toilets were black and the bathroom was dark. The mens room was really dark too but being that we were in what is primarily a bar complete with a mechanical bull I wasn't expecting a fancy powder room! I'd say for a bar trying a brunch they are doing a good job but could stand to offer a little more with their aggressive pricing. If I paid less I'd be back. Knowing what I get and what I pay for it I don't see myself here again very soon. Albany actually has a competitive brunch/breakfast circuit, they priced themselves among the top contenders but the food didn't match up.