“Tasty brunch, great beer selection”
Review of The City Beer Hall

The City Beer Hall
Reserve with OpenTable
The City Beer Hall is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 687 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Albany, New York
“Tasty brunch, great beer selection”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

City Beer Hall is a great place to go if you're looking for a great beer selection on any given night. (We are especially fond of Bingo on Wednesdays!) We had heard that brunch is great, so we decided to check it out yesterday. I called ahead to see if I could make reservations for a party of 4, but was told that they only reserve tables for parties of 8 or larger. We arrived around 12:30 and there was a 30 minute wait... no big deal. We decided to order drinks at the bar to kill time. The bar area was busy, but certainly not packed, so it was slightly annoying that the bartender took a good 10+ minutes to notice I was standing there with my credit car in hand looking to order drinks. When we were seated, they ended up placing us at a table that had been free the entire 30 minutes we were waiting. We each ordered something different. I had the BBQ Pulled Pork, which I thought was delicious; solid portion size, plus fries on the side. The chicken and waffles and the steak sandwich also got rave reviews at my table. The Spit in the Eye, though delicious, was a noticeably smaller portion than the other three plates... while being one of the more expensive menu items. It was by no means bad, we had just expected the sour dough toast to be larger/thicker. All-in-all, we had a great time and thought the food was quite good. We will definitely be back with hopes that next time around they have worked through the small service kinks and have made sure that the menu items are equitable both in terms of pricing and portion size.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank AlbanyLaura518

Saratoga Springs, Ny
“Best Brunch in Albany”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is a great place for brunch on Saturdays and Sundays. They have a nice variety of breakfast and lunch items and all include coffee and either a beer, mimosa or bloody mary. The food is made with quality fresh products and the small menu lends itself to well thought out menu items that are made well and delicious!

• Visited April 2013
Albany,NY
“Good beer, Bad service”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The first time I went I had the pulled pork sandwich. It was good, not great and over priced. The second time I went I ordered the steak sandwich. The waiter told me they only cook it medium rare. I told him I wanted it medium well. He told me they only cook it medium rare. I told him I'm paying for it and that it should be cooked the way I want it. He just kind of looked at me and made no effort to see if my order could be accommodated. I told him to cancel the order and I left. before I left I spoke to the manager about this. He told me the cook likes to serve it medium rare. I told the manager I respect the cooks opinion, but I was the one that was going to eat the sandwich not him. The manager said he would talk to the cook, I told him thank you but I had already made up my mind not to spend any more money there other than on the beer I had ordered. I also suggested they should put on their menu that the steak sandwich will only be served medium rare.

I give credit to the manager for trying to make things right, but the waiter either didn't care or was too afraid to make the same effort. Needless to say I'll be taking my business else wherem which is too bad because I do like their beer selection.

• Visited March 2013
White Plains, New York
“Hipster, But Worth It”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

City Beer Hall is in an awesome building, right down the street from Hotel Albany and Times Union Center. For every beer you buy, you get a free thin-crust personal pizza. There's dozens of local beers on tap and in different sizes.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Section1Guy
Albany, New York
“Best gastropub in Albany; incredible variety of beer & excellent food!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Best gastropub in Albany! Great variety of beer – both local and some funky kinds that you just can’t find elsewhere (such as banana bread beer!!), and an extremely knowledgeable bar staff. They can answer any question about any beer on their extensive list. Food is awesome too – excellent burgers (made with local, grass-feed top quality beef), yummy roasted beet salad, and a gourmet grilled cheese that is to die for. And one cool thing that you just can’t find at any other bar around – for each draft beer you drink, you get a ticket for a free personal pizza. Can’t beat that deal!

• Visited March 2013

Been to The City Beer Hall? Share your experiences!