“A gem on Pearl Street...”
Review of The Merry Monk

The Merry Monk
Ranked #13 of 697 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I just made our second visit to The Merry Monk before a concert at The Egg (google that if you're out of town and don't know what it is).
Our drive down was sunny, but as we neared Albany it got really cloudy and by the time we parked it had started to rain. We got a table right up in front by a window and watched what soon became a downpour. This made the congenial atmosphere inside the Monk all the more enjoyable. Soon we were sipping two of the many Belgian or Belgian style beers-- a Framboise Lambic for my wife, an Ommegang Scythe and Sickle for me, with tastes back and forth of course. For some reason, my beer disappeared rather more rapidly than my wife's did, so I was "forced" to order a second. I forget the name right now, but it was unusual and delicious. LOVE those Belgian beers!
We started with the fruit and cheese platter, perhaps a tad pricey at $19, but very enjoyable. Along with some basic crackers, crusty bread and various fruits, it featured a Port Salut, an Ommegang Cheddar, and an amazing smoked Blue Cheese. We asked it's name, which is Moody Blue, and we plan on finding some for home. For our main course, we had two different mussel dishes. One was bacon blue cheese which sounded a bit over the top. Our waitress recommended it and we were glad we listened to her. Excellent! Our other dish was the Monk's Mussels-- peppers, tomato, garlic, basil, white wine, also delicious. We had some frites too, prepared nicely to our "extra crispy" specifications. The mussels come with bread to sop up the juices, and this was one of the best parts of the meal.
By now the rain had stopped, so we headed off to our concert feeling very content.
I've never been to Belgium so I can't vouch that The Merry Monk is authentic, but it sure felt European to us. We'll be back soon and often.

2  Thank brewerpaul

Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Huge and very unique beer selection, amazing hot & crispy fries, wild boar ribs, and tons of mussels. Cool European atmosphere. A real treat in Albany!

1  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed September 17, 2012

After a few recommendations from friends my boyfriend and I decided to try it out. It was even better then we thought it would be. The beer selection was great but we had a hard time picking just one, so we both ordered flights in-order to try multiples. We each found several choices of beers we enjoyed. For dinner we ordered 2 different style burgers and fries, both were amazing. The chef cooked the burgers exactly as we ordered them, medium-rare, and medium and the dipping sauce for the fries was so good. The atmosphere was excellent-a small-hole in the wall place put together well. We will defiently be going back.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Great selection of Belgian beers as well as Belgian-style ales from the region. And if that was not enough to keep you coming back, the food is excellent. 3/4 lb. burgers to die for, mussels and of course the obligitory Belgian frites (french fries)!!! Double thumbs up!

2  Thank Campsuup
Reviewed July 20, 2012

If you are a beer snob (and I do not use that word in a negative sense), you'll love The Merry Monk. They have predominantly, if not all, Belgian and Belgian-style beers and the servers are very knowledgeable about them. The menu is good (I'm particularly fond of the French Fries), but it;s not the menu you should be going there for. It's the beer. Very nice atmosphere and did I mention the beer? Give it a whirl for something unique downtown.

Been to The Merry Monk? Share your experiences!