“Service was a bit slow, but the food was delicious!”
Review of The Merry Monk

The Merry Monk
Ranked #17 of 697 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stopped in here last night, trying to escape a soaking rain before a concert at The Palace. We were told that if we didn't have a reservation it might take a while to get seated, but then we were told we could go sit over on the rail which was a narrow bar top with stools tucked in the corner of the restaurant. We were hungry so we didn't mind. Apparently someone forgot to tell a waitress that we were sitting over there because it took a while for someone to take our order. Apparently the place gets pretty crowded on concert nights. After a bit of a wait we did get to order and it was well worth it as the food was delicious. I had the crab cake sandwich which was enormous and very moist. My fiancee had a burger which smelled and looked fantastic. Both our meals came with fries, and the added treat of two mayo dipping sauces. You get to choose from a list of about 12 different kinds and they were definitely the highlight of the meal. We had the garlic, buffalo bleu, and pesto. I'm not a huge fan of Belgian beers, which didn't work in my favor considering it's a Belgian bar, but I was happy with my Palm and the beer selection definitely has enough to choose from for even the pickiest beer drinker. The atmosphere was cozy, but a little congested. Overall it was a good experience for our first dining experience in Albany but next time we'll make sure to make reservations.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

I love the beer, I love the food! Delicious and well worth the price. I like that it's a "grownup" bar--no screaming kids in here, just professionals looking to mingle after work. The staff is terrific.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Decent food, good service - sport on tv but volume down. No reason not to go. Our kids enjoyed the burger and the chicken roll

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We expected a great selection of great beers and got exactly that, from a great bartendress. What we didn't expect was a cheese platter worthy of those awesome beers - lovely presentation, fresh fruit and plentiful cheeses, wonderfully matched to make the beer sing.... The people running this place, and making it run, are a cut above.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

My friend and I chose this bar for post-theater grub because it's just across N. Pearl St. from Cap Rep, has a great beer selection (including several Ommegang brews), and a nice selection of mussels dishes. By the time we got out of the theater we felt too chilled for cold beer, but went to the Merry Monk anyhow because of the moules et frites. One pound of mussels ($8.99) comes in a platter with a rich, delectable sauce (there are perhaps 8 varieties to choose from) and a "demi-baguette" (read 2-1/2 inch length of bread); the frites cost $2 extra and come with your choice of mayo-base dipping sauce. I chose the crab cakes as an appetizer ($9.99 for two cakes) and was shocked when two tiny (less than 2 inch diameter, I'd guess), mostly bready cakes arrived, cold, on a nice bed of spring greens. The greens were good, but there was not enough crab in the little cakes to justify the $10 price tag, and the cocktail sauce arrived after I had already eaten one of them. The coffee my friend had ordered did not arrive until after she'd reminded the server twice. The mussels were good enough, but one unopened shell was in each of our plates, which matters especially when there are only 15 or 20 mussels on the plate. The "demi-baguette" was hardly sufficient to soak up much of the sauce, so we ordered more bread -- and we were shocked, when the bill came, that we were charged $1.25 for each additional little piece. This bad surprise would have been equally bad had we been informed about this charge before asking for more bread. The people who were drinking seemed to be having a good time. I will not return unless beer, and only beer, is my mission.

Been to The Merry Monk? Share your experiences!