“A good date place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
Albany, New York
“A good date place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I really enjoy the Midtown Tap & Tea Room (MTTR). I can't describe much of the menu, because I had the same thing during both of my visits -- but that was just because it was so tasty! MTTR is on New Scotland Ave., near Albany Law School, Albany Pharmacy School, and Sage College. I wondered if it would be swamped by students, but it was a mixed crowd and not too busy on both visits. MTTR has a nice atmosphere and is a surprisingly large space -- there are plenty of seats at the bars (both in the the front and back of the restaurant) as well as throughout the restaurant. I really enjoyed the fireplace in the back and thought the patio seating was a really nice option for the summer. Even though the restaurant was not really quiet during the time I was there, it still managed to feel cozy and intimate. I came here first with a friend for some drinks and appetizers and second with my boyfriend. I thought MTTR lent itself to both, as I could have nice conversation, good drinks, and decently priced food. The menu itself seemed limited, but I did notice that there were specials offered for entrees, appetizers, and dessert. One drawback is that the dessert options seemed a little limited to me, as I was hoping to see a few more options -- such as a chocolate cake or ice cream (what was offered on my latest visit was a creme brulee, a cheesecake, bread pudding and a chocolate mouse).

The item I ate on both visits were the steak tacos. They are on the appetizer menu ($10) and are served with a slightly spicy and absolutely delicious pico de gallo. I tend to be picky and do not like chunky salsas, so I liked how nicely minced the pico was. It added such fresh and delicious flavor to the tacos. There was also a white sauce, which I believe was sour cream based, but it was also very tasty. The steak itself was tender, and not at all chewy. My boyfriend had a bbq bacon burger, which was a special. He really enjoyed it and said it was very flavorful.

MTTR has a nice beer menu (more bottled, less on tap) and I tried a few of the selections and found the descriptions on the menu to be helpful and accurate. There is also a variety of wine and liquor, but I did not try wine or cocktails.

Ultimately, it is a cute place with a diverse clientele. I think it is a good spot for a date or a one-one-one meal/drink with a friend and look forward to visiting again.

• Visited June 2013

athens,ny
“TERRIFIC LUNCH”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Yesterday I went to Midtown with 9 other friends for lunch. Everyone commented on wonderful their meal was. I had a Turkey Burger served with a side of green salad. Delicious. Some of the group had salads, sandwiches, soup and desert. No complaints from anyone. Would certainly go to this restaurant again.

• Visited April 2013
Albany, New York
“very uneven”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

At 5pm, about half full with after work folks, while the water arrived promptly it took fully 14 minutes for a glass of wine, cup of tea to arrive. Fourteen minutes. That is astounding. While conversing, a waiter brought dinner to the next table over, which was sent back to the kitchen: I could smell the sharp stink of spoiled fish which the cook had tried to cover over with spices. Yuck. On the other hand, the wine and tea were ok, and on the way out, we passed the grill where scallops were being seared: smelled great.
Moral of the story - this is a very uneven restaurant. Slow service, and your food might be good, or might be very bad.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank UsuallyEasyTPlease
Rensselaer, NY
“Ok, but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

It seemed like this would be a great place to have dinner with friends, but we were underwhelmed. The food was pretty good, not amazing, but it was overpriced for what it was. The service was the most frustrating. We felt like the waitress lacked very basic service skills; empty glasses waiting to be filled with more beverages, no check in on how we're doing/if we need anything, and a table FULL of empty dishes/glasses. I felt like we were ignored the entire time. Such a shame because it is a cute spot.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Annemarie B
sf
“Best Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

First time -- lunch was outstanding. If you have the chance (and they offer it) get the chicken/orange sandwich. Superb! Portobello sandwich was excellent as well. Nice place,well designed (architect owner), subtle and pleasant ambiance.

Visited October 2012