“Nice place”

The Point Restaurant and Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
The Point Restaurant and Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 697 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were looking for a random place that we hadn't tried yet. We were in Albany and had the name in mind from previous advertisements so we decided to stop in. It was early in the week and a quiet evening for the restaurant. We usually like to sit at the bar for casual occasions. Everything looked nice throughout. The service was also good. We tried a few appetizers and had a beverage. The calamari was very good. I would go back with others for a full dinner at some point. Its nice because there are a handful of bars next door and we like to "roam" (Bar hop..).

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We have been a few times and have eaten in different areas of the restaurant. You can have
a totally different experience depending on where you are seated. If you have never been look around before being seated so that you can be in a area that is comfortable for the people you
are with. Food is very good , we both had pasta dishes, Green bean fries are available as an app or side, try them. The entrees are plenty even in the small portion size. Understand that you
will be paying prices of a restaurant not bar room prices.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Decent beer selection and the food was good. Service was good as well. Sat outside and that was nice. I do think the entrees are a bit on the pricey side.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Four of us had dinner here on a weekday evening. Food was good, but not great, and service was attentive. Value was average, except that drinks were just a bit high for the area.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have had the pleasure of dining at The Point on two occasions. The first was an anniversary dinner with my significant other. After we arrived (a Saturday at 7:30 with reservations), there appeared to be some confusion with our reservation and we had to wait 15 minutes or so at the bar. We didn't mind much and were seated in a side room decorated with ornate mirrors on the ceiling and really nice lanterns. There was outdoor seating as well, but it wasn't warm enough that evening for sitting on the patio. The people here have a range of how they dress. While there were some people in jeans, there were also people dressed up a little nicer. I think the restaurant lends itself to both. The Point is a large venue with a large bar and even a private room. I loved the pressed tin ceiling, romantic lighting, and candlesticks on each table. What a great date restaurant!

Our waiter was a little overwhelmed, it seemed, with a larger table and it took a while to get in our drink orders, to get our drinks, and to be given a bread basket. That being said, we enjoyed what we ordered. I had a great (!) cocktail called "haitorade" (muddled strawberry and lemonade) and ordered the filet mignon. It was cooked as ordered, flavorful, and served with a mashed potato and vegetable blend.

Although I was stuffed to the brim, I could resist trying the vanilla gelato, which was 2 scoops of smooth, velvety goodness, served with fresh strawberries and blueberries. I ate it all (well, shared, of course!).

On my second visit, I came with a few friends and was seated in the main room. We had 6:30 reservations and were seated immediately. Our waitress (I wish I remembered her name) was fantastic! She described the dishes with such detail and enthusiasm and let us know what were her favorite cocktails and dishes. This was very helpful and made us excited to try her suggestions. She was also very attentive. I ordered the plum tomato pizza (made for one, but can be shared if appetizers are ordered) which is made on a crispy garlic crust with big slices of sweet plum tomatoes and gobs upon gobs of cheese ($9) -- yum! . I also got to try the french fries (frites) which were lemon pepper! These fries were a nice way to mix up the typical french fries and were very addicting.

The restaurant remembered that we were celebrating a birthday and brought us a sizable slice of sweet potato cake, which, although I didn't think it would be appealing was airy and rich at the same time, but not over sweet (like a mix between carrot cake and vanilla cake). There are also great coffee options (with and without alcohol).

What I like most about The Point is that it can be a special occasion restaurant where you can order 30 dollar entries (that will be worth the cost) or a place for a fun dinner with friends where you can have a burger, a pizza, or a sandwich. Although the menu does not seem to change much, there are daily specials, a ravioli of the day, and a cake of the day (an enormous slice of cake called "big cake").

I am looking forward to my next meal at The Point!

Been to The Point Restaurant and Lounge? Share your experiences!