“Great for special occasion or low-key night out with friends!”

The Point Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #36 of 687 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Albany, New York
“Great for special occasion or low-key night out with friends!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have had the pleasure of dining at The Point on two occasions. The first was an anniversary dinner with my significant other. After we arrived (a Saturday at 7:30 with reservations), there appeared to be some confusion with our reservation and we had to wait 15 minutes or so at the bar. We didn't mind much and were seated in a side room decorated with ornate mirrors on the ceiling and really nice lanterns. There was outdoor seating as well, but it wasn't warm enough that evening for sitting on the patio. The people here have a range of how they dress. While there were some people in jeans, there were also people dressed up a little nicer. I think the restaurant lends itself to both. The Point is a large venue with a large bar and even a private room. I loved the pressed tin ceiling, romantic lighting, and candlesticks on each table. What a great date restaurant!

Our waiter was a little overwhelmed, it seemed, with a larger table and it took a while to get in our drink orders, to get our drinks, and to be given a bread basket. That being said, we enjoyed what we ordered. I had a great (!) cocktail called "haitorade" (muddled strawberry and lemonade) and ordered the filet mignon. It was cooked as ordered, flavorful, and served with a mashed potato and vegetable blend.

Although I was stuffed to the brim, I could resist trying the vanilla gelato, which was 2 scoops of smooth, velvety goodness, served with fresh strawberries and blueberries. I ate it all (well, shared, of course!).

On my second visit, I came with a few friends and was seated in the main room. We had 6:30 reservations and were seated immediately. Our waitress (I wish I remembered her name) was fantastic! She described the dishes with such detail and enthusiasm and let us know what were her favorite cocktails and dishes. This was very helpful and made us excited to try her suggestions. She was also very attentive. I ordered the plum tomato pizza (made for one, but can be shared if appetizers are ordered) which is made on a crispy garlic crust with big slices of sweet plum tomatoes and gobs upon gobs of cheese ($9) -- yum! . I also got to try the french fries (frites) which were lemon pepper! These fries were a nice way to mix up the typical french fries and were very addicting.

The restaurant remembered that we were celebrating a birthday and brought us a sizable slice of sweet potato cake, which, although I didn't think it would be appealing was airy and rich at the same time, but not over sweet (like a mix between carrot cake and vanilla cake). There are also great coffee options (with and without alcohol).

What I like most about The Point is that it can be a special occasion restaurant where you can order 30 dollar entries (that will be worth the cost) or a place for a fun dinner with friends where you can have a burger, a pizza, or a sandwich. Although the menu does not seem to change much, there are daily specials, a ravioli of the day, and a cake of the day (an enormous slice of cake called "big cake").

I am looking forward to my next meal at The Point!

Penfield, New York
“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Dined here to celebrate a birthday on a Friday evening. Wonderful food, excellent decor and awesome service. The only down side was that because the bar was crowded, the place was loud to the level that our server had to shout the evening's specials. Even then it was difficult to hear. But a place worth returning to!

• Visited June 2013
“Where's the Duck?”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stopped in on a Saturday, Kentucky Derby Day. Asked to be seated outside and we had a glass of wine at the bar while we waited for our table. The bar was not busy and had quite a large number of employees behind the bar but we were not acknowledged for quite a few minutes. Wine price for a glass of Simi Chardonnay was a bit high.
When seated we had trouble knowing who our service person was since there is nothing to distinguish an employee from a customer.We had multiple people approach our table. Once we established who was our server the service progressed nicely. We had a duck confit jalapeno popper and a pizza that actually had gnocchi pasta on it. The pizza was great but the Popper left alot to be desired. It was supposed to be stuffed with duck confit. We found only a shred through the whole dish, hence the title of our review. It was very disappointing, especially for the price.

NY
“Really good food and drinks!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Ate here for graduation dinner at the recommendation of my graduate and it did not disappoint. Everyone enjoyed their meal...portions were good....food fresh and tasy.....drinks yummy. Would eat here again...

“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Finally a decent upscale atmosphere in uptown Albany. The menu is a bit limited but everything is very good and definitely different than the usual pub fare. The cheese board is always great with a few cocktails. Perfect place for the office crowd, a few drinks with a client, or a date.