“Cresthill good value”

CrestHill Suites Albany
Ranked #23 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed August 21, 2006

Stayed here for a long weekend in Saratoga / the Capitol Region.

The good:
Price: much less than a place in Saratoga, only 1/2 hour drive
Lots of room: we had a one bdrm suite w/ kitchen - plenty of room for 2 people.
Amenities: excercise room was nice; welcome basket of cookies, pretzels, softdrinks in the room was appreciated.

The less than good:
Little bit of mold on the shower curtain, but not enough to complain to the management about.
The pool had not been cleaned in a couple of days and had a bunch of plant life floating in it.
The biggest complaint might have been with the service at the (admitedly, free) breakfast. The lady overseeing the food was rather unpleasant and gave anyone who approached the food a glare, as though one were stealing from her....everyone else was very nice.

One other note: there is not much in the way of food or shopping in the area, so you will probably have to drive a fair distance for a restaurant. It is pretty close to the freeway though, so you can get anywhere pretty quickly.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tomasito
There are newer reviews for CrestHill Suites Albany

Reviewed August 14, 2006

I got married in June and had quite a few out of town people coming in. I wanted to find them a place that was comfortable, at a decent price and close to the reception site...which it was. I had blocked 15 rooms and all but 3 were taken. I also stayed there the night before my wedding and the night of with my new hubby. I was a little upset at the fact that none of my familys rooms were ready when they go into town, even making some of them late to my ceremony because they couldn't get into their rooms to get ready. Most of the the rooms were missing clean towels and toilet paper. When going to ask an employee to please stock up, they turned back around to the t.v. they were watching. Overall, the rooms were nice and the space was good, but I would not recommend staying due to the service. I see all good reviews on this site, and I agree for the most part...but there were some things that need to be fixed.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank krisgwinn
Reviewed August 1, 2006

Well I'm not going to contradict the previous reviews. I booked this hotel purely on the reviews on this website and I was not disappointed. It looked a bit ominous when we arrived there and were told they didn't have our reservation. However this was soon sorted and we received an upgrade to a two bedroom suite.
The suites are spacious, well equipped and very clean and tidy.
There's a complimentary continental breakfast which is more than adequate, free internet access in the lobby and a reasonably sized outdoor pool. But the best bit about this is the price. We stayed in seven different hotels on our recent vacation and this was easily the best value for money. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Albany area. My only disapointment was not the hotel but Albany itself. We arrived Saturday lunchtime and did the Crossgates Mall, which is very good. Sunday we decided to go Downtown only it was shut, by this I mean deserted. I cannot believe that the State Capital can be closed in the middle of summer on a recreational day. Surely this is the peak time for tourism?? Anyway we got in the car and drove to Saratoga Springs which was lovely and had an excellent lunch at a place called Professor Moriartys. If you visit Saratoga try it out you wont be disapointed, just like this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank SteveHammer
Reviewed July 29, 2006

We picked this hotel based on the reviews on this site ... the reviews posted are correct. This motel is very clean , and comfortable. The room was quite large and had sitting area and a king sized bed and kitchenette. The room was sparkling clean and smelled great. The air conditioner worked GREAT ! The location was excelent as we where going to Uni at Albany to see the Giants training camp. The staff is nice and professional....overall a great place to stay, you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: July 2006
Reviewed June 25, 2006

I stayed here for 2 nights with my brother and parents when we were in Albany for a graduation party. Being 4 adults, we were glad to find online a place with enough room for us all and not breaking the wallets. For about $150/night we had a 2 bedroom suite with 1 king/2 queen beds, 2 bathrooms and a comfortable sitting area with kitchenette. Everything was clean and in generally good working order.

The pool was not huge but big enough to cool off in and float around comfortably (great temperature too, and I am a big sissy when it comes to water temp). The breakfast buffet included had oatmeal, muffins, toast, doughnuts, danish, juices, coffee, dry cereal etc... so there was plenty to have a quick and light breakfast. If you are looking for a bigger, hot breakfast you'll need to either bring it with you and cook in the room or find a nearby restaurant. We had some complimentary snack and drinks in the room when we arrived and were able to borrow an ethernet cable from the desk for m laptop (though the connection felt slower than most dial-ups, so I'd try the complimentary high speed in the lobby area's computer terminals instead).

There is a little area where you can purchase ice cream, chips ($4 a bag), soup ($3 a can) or a frozen dinner, but the snacks were bare bones and you'd do better finding munchies at the gas station a few buildings down the road if you did not bring it along yourself.

My only complaint was the rudeness of 1 staff member (the evening desk clerk on the 2 nights of our stay, and yes, I am writing a comment card with his specific info and poor customer service.). However, the rotten attitude of one individual is not enough for me to condemn the rest of my otherwise pleasant experience. The suites are not 5 star luxury, but that is not their intent. They do deliver with clean, roomy, quality spaces for a fantastic price. I would definitely stay again if I were back in that area.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank PrincessPalmTree
Reviewed June 1, 2006

My husband and I combined a conference in Albany with a weekend away and had a great trip. The Cresthill Suites is a real bargain. Our suite had a king bed with a bathroom; a full kitchen including dishes and tableware, microwave, full size refrigerator and dishwasher; and living room. The suite was well designed, although the living room and bedroom felt a little tight spacewise. But for us the layout was perfect. We had even tossed our Playstation in with us and were able to hook it up to the 27" living room TV with a minor problem since there was a VCR already hooked up. And unlike most TVs at hotels where your channel selections are quite limited there were a decent 30 or so channels including such special ones like SoapNet and TLC. The bedroom TV we may have used only once or twice during our visit and I honestly don't remember much about it. The hotel is located directly across from SUNY Albany campus, near two major highways, and on a major road. Within walking distance of the hotel was a bus stop (via bus you could go to the nearby mall, to Downtown Albany, to Troy, etc.), a gas station and a Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins. The local mall, Crossgates Mall, was about a mile away. It was a fun place to escape and with six family style restaurants including Houlihans, Bugaboo Creek, and Hooters, a wide selection of stores, and a full multiplex you had plenty of escaping to do. Of course downtown Albany was the reason we went on this weekend trip. Despite living all our lives in NY, I had never been to Albany and my husband hadn't been there since his teens. Empire State Plaze is truly an architectural accomplishment with its massive granite buildings and lovely parks. A great place to spend the day (just don't make it Sunday when everything including most places to eat are shut down) and the Aquaducks tour was nice. Also don't miss the pedestrian crosswalk to get from the downtown area to the waterside and the ampitheatre. A hearty thumbs up for the hotel and a great area to visit.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business