“Do not stay here...rude staff.”

CrestHill Suites Albany
Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed June 10, 2011

This is my family's second visit to this hotel. The first experience in October 2010 was good. We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite which was clean and comfortable, and the front desk staff were polite. We reserved a 2-bedroom suite at this hotel for a second time on May 27th this year, to attend my son's College graduation. This was a huge mistake!!

We were greeted at the front desk by a female and a male staff member. The female staff member, whom I will call "J", gave us a room on the second floor (room 235), which was a smoking room. I got an allergic reaction to the room and called the front desk to ask for a different room. "J" informed me that as long as we haven't used anything in the room, they can switch our room with someone who just checked in with a dog, and who had been given a non-smoking room. Smoking rooms are allocated for pets.

While waiting for "J" to arrive to check our room, I found that the refrigerator was very old, as the door was dented in multiple places, and rocked when the door was opened. The floor tile was old and peeling. One of the bathrooms was very dirty: A used tissue was sitting on the back of the toilet, as well as tissue in the toilet. The kitchen counter appeared to have been neglected of cleaning, and there was a pitcher full of water in the refrigerator. Clearly, the room had not been cleaned.

However, when "J" arrived to check our room, she was very rude and did not care about the poor conditions of the room. She said because my family was sitting down on the chairs and using a laptop (instead of standing in the middle of the floor waiting for her), we had used the room. I continued to explain the problems in the room, mentioning the pitcher of water, and was given the excuse that this is normal for every hotel. I don't know who would drink water from a pitcher in a hotel refrigerator, not knowing the source. I also told her about the dirty bathroom. Her response was that we probably used it before she came, since we drove from Maryland to NY for 7 hours. Again, she ignored the problems and even attempted to say my words were not true.

I asked to speak with the manager. "J" went back to the front desk and called the manager on the phone. She did not give me the opportunity to speak with the manager, but bluntly told me the manager said we could either move to 2 separate one bedroom units or leave. Her attitude was very rude.

Her refusal to resolve the problems, her poor attitude, and her neglect to allow me to speak with the manager all demonstrate lack of care for customers and concern for representation of CrestHill Suites. Needless to say, my family and I chose to leave.

I contacted my credit card company and learned they had also placed a hold on my credit card for more than the cost of the room. I also want to state that I removed my original review of this hotel because this same staff member sent me a threatening message for using her name in its contents. She also attempted to bully me into not sharing my experience at all. I certainly do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank latkwat13

Reviewed June 9, 2011

I recently stayed at the Cresthill Suites while my daughter visited University at Albany. It was perfect. Jennifer and Dominick at the front desk were wonderful. They helped me with the restaurants and things to do in the area while my daughter was occupied. Their pool is small but heated and I was the only one out there enjoying the sun.

The rooms were large, bigger than any I have stayed in, with a full kitchen like an apartment. Breakfast was included and they even had a light meal with beer and wine in the evenings during the week.

The room and the hotel was spotless. Everyone we met was great and they were even getting new beds delivered to the room during our stay. We came back from lunch one day to discover a brand new bed had been added. Such a great value for the money!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank amber31289
Reviewed June 9, 2011

This hotel is a great location and has spacious clean rooms. The staff was great and attentive.
Dominic at the front desk was very helpful when we had to extend our reservation another day last minute. He was very polite and addressed all of my questions.
A+ in my book

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I booked this hotel through Hotwire. It came up as a three star. I had never heard of it before, and since it is considered an extended stay hotel, I was concerned. When we saw our room we were relieved. It was very big, with a kitchen, living area and king sized bed, along with a large bathroom. It was clean, except for a plastic cup with a drink someone had left in the fridge. That was a little weird, but the rest was spotless. We were only staying the night, so we didn't use most of the facilities. The breakfast was simple, but adequate. The eggs were surprisingly good! We were tempted to extend our trip one mre night because it seemed like a pretty relaxing, laid back place.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Great spot right off the 90 with easy ramp access!

We used this as a quick stopover hotel on the way to Boston. We were arriving late and leaving early, so we needed something without any fuss or muss. This place did the trick.

It was surprisingly clean and had most everything we needed for the short time we were there. I would definitely recommend for anyone with a short layover, and the kitchenette looked like it would work great for those wanting a longer stay.

Didn't look like there was much around, but the gas station and Dunkin Donuts within walking distance is likely all most travelers would need.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank highzee
Reviewed April 23, 2011

The CrestHill Suites Albany isn't a glamourous place to stay--the lobby and building are pretty plain and functional--but it was just what we needed for a three day stay in the Capital District. The hotel was immaculately clean and our king bed was very comfortable. The maid did a good job. It was handy to have a room with a refrigerator and microwave, and others could have made more use of the kitchen than we did. The pool is an outdoor pool and it was too cold and rainy to use it. Hot water was plentiful for bathing. The free morning breakfast is okay--not as good as a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express, but more than sufficient and the breakfast room is pleasant. They also host an evening "reception" Mondays through Thursdays--nothing dramatic but it is nice to have a snack and a beer or glass of wine there. The location isn't in a hip neighborhood for walking, but it is across the street from the sprawling University at Albany campus . It's not far off of I-90, shopping on Washington or Central is a short drive away, and there are two major malls within a 15 minute drive. The hotel is on the #12 bus line to downtown and the Crossgates Mall as well. There are several other hotels nearby if you want this location but this one is full. There aren't many immediately adjacent stores, but a Dunkin' Donuts and a Sunoco convenience store and gas station are just down a frontage road.
Our suite was one of the smallest in the hotel, but it was more than big enough for us for three days. It was like staying in a clean furnished efficiency apartment for three days. It was also suprisingly quiet. The man across the hall from us had either his TV blasting or a loud conversation every time we walked by in the hall--but we never heard it once in the room. My wife and I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Badgerjim
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I stayed at the Cresthill recently with my mother, infant daughter and cousin. We were there because my cousin was having a medical procedure done. She chose this hotel because of its proximity to the clinic she was attending. We had a two-bedroom suite with two bathrooms and a kitchen. Upon check-in, we were given a room that was at the complete end of the hallway. This would not have been an issue were it not for my cousin's mobility constraints. It would have been nice if the woman at the front desk had mentioned to us that there was a closer entrance to our room. This hotel offers a complimentary breakfast and happy hour evening munchies session. Both have a time slot that is extremely limiting. Breakfast ends at 9 AM sharp and the selection tends to be diminished by 8:30 AM. The evening happy hour is the most pitiful excuse I have seen to date. I kept thinking, "Why bother". It lasted from 5:30 to 7 pm. We showed up at 6pm and nothing was left save for a few plain chips, a bowl of tired-looking lettuce and some pasta with what appeared to be a meat sauce. The highlight was the free wine and beer. I complained to the front desk about the timeslot for the happy hour and was told that it is free so I should be happy. Apart from that, the shower in our bathroom was filthy on the outside trim. It looked like it had not been cleaned in a long time. My infant daughter was awoken at 12:30 AM by the sound of a forgotten alarm clock ringing non-stop in the room directly above ours. I called the front desk to have the problem resolved and no one called me back to apologise. Too bad they did not have to deal with a wailing infant. Lastly, the curtain in our room did not close properly, despite our best efforts to try and close them. We got the unwanted early morning light each day we were there creeping through the faulty curtains. Overall, this hotel is OK. I guess one could say you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family