“Easy and clean”

Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Toronto
“Easy and clean”
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Great spot right off the 90 with easy ramp access!

We used this as a quick stopover hotel on the way to Boston. We were arriving late and leaving early, so we needed something without any fuss or muss. This place did the trick.

It was surprisingly clean and had most everything we needed for the short time we were there. I would definitely recommend for anyone with a short layover, and the kitchenette looked like it would work great for those wanting a longer stay.

Didn't look like there was much around, but the gas station and Dunkin Donuts within walking distance is likely all most travelers would need.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank highzee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
Augusta, Maine
Reviewed April 23, 2011

The CrestHill Suites Albany isn't a glamourous place to stay--the lobby and building are pretty plain and functional--but it was just what we needed for a three day stay in the Capital District. The hotel was immaculately clean and our king bed was very comfortable. The maid did a good job. It was handy to have a room with a refrigerator and microwave, and others could have made more use of the kitchen than we did. The pool is an outdoor pool and it was too cold and rainy to use it. Hot water was plentiful for bathing. The free morning breakfast is okay--not as good as a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express, but more than sufficient and the breakfast room is pleasant. They also host an evening "reception" Mondays through Thursdays--nothing dramatic but it is nice to have a snack and a beer or glass of wine there. The location isn't in a hip neighborhood for walking, but it is across the street from the sprawling University at Albany campus . It's not far off of I-90, shopping on Washington or Central is a short drive away, and there are two major malls within a 15 minute drive. The hotel is on the #12 bus line to downtown and the Crossgates Mall as well. There are several other hotels nearby if you want this location but this one is full. There aren't many immediately adjacent stores, but a Dunkin' Donuts and a Sunoco convenience store and gas station are just down a frontage road.
Our suite was one of the smallest in the hotel, but it was more than big enough for us for three days. It was like staying in a clean furnished efficiency apartment for three days. It was also suprisingly quiet. The man across the hall from us had either his TV blasting or a loud conversation every time we walked by in the hall--but we never heard it once in the room. My wife and I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Badgerjim
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I stayed at the Cresthill recently with my mother, infant daughter and cousin. We were there because my cousin was having a medical procedure done. She chose this hotel because of its proximity to the clinic she was attending. We had a two-bedroom suite with two bathrooms and a kitchen. Upon check-in, we were given a room that was at the complete end of the hallway. This would not have been an issue were it not for my cousin's mobility constraints. It would have been nice if the woman at the front desk had mentioned to us that there was a closer entrance to our room. This hotel offers a complimentary breakfast and happy hour evening munchies session. Both have a time slot that is extremely limiting. Breakfast ends at 9 AM sharp and the selection tends to be diminished by 8:30 AM. The evening happy hour is the most pitiful excuse I have seen to date. I kept thinking, "Why bother". It lasted from 5:30 to 7 pm. We showed up at 6pm and nothing was left save for a few plain chips, a bowl of tired-looking lettuce and some pasta with what appeared to be a meat sauce. The highlight was the free wine and beer. I complained to the front desk about the timeslot for the happy hour and was told that it is free so I should be happy. Apart from that, the shower in our bathroom was filthy on the outside trim. It looked like it had not been cleaned in a long time. My infant daughter was awoken at 12:30 AM by the sound of a forgotten alarm clock ringing non-stop in the room directly above ours. I called the front desk to have the problem resolved and no one called me back to apologise. Too bad they did not have to deal with a wailing infant. Lastly, the curtain in our room did not close properly, despite our best efforts to try and close them. We got the unwanted early morning light each day we were there creeping through the faulty curtains. Overall, this hotel is OK. I guess one could say you get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank flygirl75
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed March 22, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel on two weekend visits to Albany with family. Rooms are huge and impeccably clean, with a lot of nice touches. Location is not central to downtown, though it is directly across from UAlbany and very close to some state office buildings. Value is outstanding -- here you can get much more space, including a kitchen, for less money than a regular room in a hotel downtown. Front desk service was kind and efficient. Breakfast was adequate, including some hot items. Highly recommended if you don't need a location right downtown.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sociable_lapwing
new haven, ct
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Something happened when I was writing my last review and most of the review is not posted and it just drops off in midsentence.

We were having a terrible time getting a place that would allow a small dog without charging ridiculous prices (up to $100 a night at the new Marriott - more than the room cost!). I know the EconoLodge only charges ten bucks or so but wanted a nicer place this time. Crest Hill only charged $15. When we got there I was informed that I would have to take a smoking room because of the dog. When I complained that I wasn't told that the desk clerk called a manager and said we could have a regular room. So, we headed up to the room and were all nestled within when she called and said, I'm so sorry, I forgot to change your room!

We never changed - if she hadn't said anything I never would have known this was a smoking room - unbelieveable! Any hotel that has a smoking room that you can't tell is a smoking room deserves kudos.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sullific
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I liked the cleanliness of the hotel, the staff was very friendly and attentive. I will always stay at CrestHill when traveling to Albany.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Room was large and lovely and very clean. Good location by I-90 for easy access to the city.
Vey happy with everything. Some highway noise -- next time will ask for a room away from I-90.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple