“Rude Service, Average Accomodation, Stay Away!”

Travelodge Inn and Suites Albany
Ranked #26 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Toronto, Canada
“Rude Service, Average Accomodation, Stay Away!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed here on our recent trip. All best rated hotels were booked, as we were booking on a short notice. Found this one - read all the reviews, no horrible stories here. Booked it. Upon arrival was greeted by Bonnie (Sat Jul 28) - lady with an attitude. We were treated with such contempt mixed with rudeness, that is hard to imagine this type of behaviour in this day and age. Either this hotel is absolutely packed 365 days per year and Bonnie was instructed to beat customers with an ugly stick, or this lady hates her job, or maybe had a rough day at home. It was hard for me to comprehend that while I am paying her wages by staying at this dump, she would "chew the hand that feeds her". Aside from worn, stained, dirty carpets, no elevator to the second floor, loud AC unit in the room, the actual room was not too bad. Breakfast room was on a small side, but breakfast was OK (usual continental menu - waffles, English muffins, coffee, two kinds of cereal, and juice machine). Location is convenient - across from the Mall, many restaurants nearby, close to highways. However, the reception was so chilly, that I would not consider this property, even at half the rate - I can't stand rude people with attitude. I should have picked a different hotel.

Room Tip: If you absolutely cannot avoid to stay at this property - choose ground floor, especially if you car...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank krutoi88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Absolute worst experience I can remember. Camping would have been more sanitary. Where do I start? Ok, entering the hotel to go to my room -- the hallway stank like cigarette smoke from 1978. It looked like the right place to get murdered. At first the room looked ok. Remarkably, it did not smell like the hallway. Then I unfolded the sheets. There were hairs in the bed, hairs on the pillow and hairs on the comforter. Hairs from certain places if you know what I mean. In the bathroom there was the remains of someone's use of toilet paper on the floor plus a spot of something even more disgusting. When I complained, the staff was completely surly. They did not bring me new sheets. They told me to come down to the laundry area and get them myself. When I got there the woman at the front desk was there. She was obviously bothered by me and pulled some sheets off the shelf, handing them to me them as if it was unheard of that someone would want to sleep in a clean bed. One of the "clean" sheets had a large, disgusting stain on it. I gave it back to her. I ended up sleeping in my sleeping bag on the bed with the one clean sheet I managed to obtain. So I paid $80 to basically clean up someone else's... eeewww it makes me sick to think of it. NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: Don't under any circumstances stay here!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The staff was extremely friendly, rooms are very clean and a only a few miles to the airport. Highly recommended for travelers looking for a great deal in Albany. Stayed two nights, worked out perfectly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Albany, New York
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We needed a place to stay that was close the the Albany airport due to an early morning flight. The Travelodge Inn and Suites was perfect for us. It's located on Wolf Road, but sits back from the highway. It was quiet and the staff were very accommodating. It's in need of renovations, but for our purposes the price was right and it fit the bill.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This hotel is an affordable convenient very modest hotel in a great location of Albany.

Suburban safe location across the street from a large mall right off the freeway/thruway. If you are making a long drive to/from Canada or points west the location is good. There are restaurants within walking distance. Free parking and internet.

Stay on the second floor towards the front of the hotel.. It is away from the smoking and pet section.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
rural Ohio
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Was in Albany for five nights and picked this hotel because of the rates and friends were staying there. Room was ok and it did have a refrigerator, but no microwave. Bathroom was fine and the shower worked great. The a/c was probably the loudest I have ever heard. If you wanted to watch TV, you had to have the volume up high. Otherwise, the hotel was quiet.
One thing I don't understand is that if a hotel offers smoking rooms, why do they not provide ashtrays?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Rutland, Vermont
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed here while doing some shopping/site seeing in Albany. Room was on the small side, which is fine. The king sized bed was over the top comfortable. Wish I had one like it at home!! Included a microwave and refrigerator, always helpful. The room was basically clean, but hair all over the bathroom- on the sides of the tub, back of the toilet and around the sink faucet. A little more effort cleaning and this place would have gotten a much better review.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SewFine802
Marilyn12110, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Inn and Suites Albany, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
June 12, 2012

We sent an E-mail to the guest, apologizing that the bathroom was not cleaned according to her expectations or our usual standards (see below). Our General Manager has been out on Medical leave since April. We are doing our utmost to make sure that everything is up to our standards. We expect her back shortly and are looking forward to only "POSITIVE" reviews at our Travelodge Inn & Suites, Albany Airport.

Our message to "SewFine"

June 12, 2012

Dear SewFine802,

Thank you for your June 10th TripAdvisor Review, regarding your recent stay at Travelodge Inn & Suites, Albany Airport.

We apologize that your bathroom was not cleaned according to your expectations and our usual high standard. Our General Manager has been on medical leave since April due to back surgery. Usually, she inspects the rooms prior to our guest’s arrival. This is by no means an “excuse” - - just an “explanation”. Our Head Housekeeper extends her sincere apologies; and will be making several changes to the way in which our guest rooms are cleaned and inspected before being rented to our guests.

Thank you for your very favorable comments regarding the rest of your stay. I am pleased to hear that the bed in your room was comfortable; as it is difficult to find a mattress that satisfies everyone's personal preferences as some guests prefer a firm mattress; and others a soft mattress.

We sincerely hope you will give us a “Second Time Around” the next time you are in the area. I am confident that you will find an improvement in the cleaning of our rooms; and are looking forward to your next review.

Marilyn Seidner