“Great once a week place!”
Review of The Wine Bar and Bistro On Lark - CLOSED

The Wine Bar and Bistro On Lark
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I wish the Wine Bar were closer to me - I would definitely go there once a week! It is so charming - a series of small brick walled rooms, each with a welcoming fireplace. Kevin the owner is wonderful and welcomed us with a complimentary aperitif. The menu was small enough to know that everything was going to be good, and had plenty of tantalizing choices. Summertime brings seating out front and in the back patio. The crispy pork shoulder on polenta was to die for and the brussels sprouts were addictive. Every plate we were served was visually appealing, but the food never looked tortured with tweezers, thankfully! The frisee salad with bacon and poached egg was great, also the roasted beet and grapefruit salad had great smoky flavor, which really worked. Don't miss the barbarone dessert - total wow. Great place!

2  Thank uostatechef

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Having grown up in New York, I honestly wasn't expecting much in terms of culture and cuisine from Albany. But it was the logical stop along a road trip, and the meal we thoroughly enjoyed at The Wine Bar and Bistro and Lark may lead us to make Albany a new destination rather than just a stop-over.

The atmosphere is ideal. Indoor seating is quaint and cozy, in the sub-ground level of a row building that was reminiscent of Philadelphia brownstones (minus the brown stones). The gem, however, is the outdoor patio behind the restaurant. Approximately 10 tables are situated in a walled-in courtyard, illuminated by strung lights spanning the space, and all with views into the second story windows where the kitchen is located.

The food was a match for the outdoor seating. All ingredients tasted extremely fresh, and the variety of options on the menu left my wife and I ordering multiple items from each course so that we could taste as much as possible. Appetizers included calamari sauteed in marinara (a standard dish, but well prepared) and the salad of the day - a watermelon and ricotta in balsamic dressing. Main courses were hanger steak with friend gnocci and scallops with lentils, mushrooms, and prosciutto (my favorite dish of the night). We finished with a berry shortcake and a very tasty barbarone (an other worldly french toast). With a more than satisfactory beer selection for me and a seemingly infinite wine list for my wife, not a thing reached our table that wasn't 100% devoured by the time it was taken away.

Not a cheap meal by any means, but for the ambiance and the quality of the food (and service), we will absolutely return here next time we're in the area. And we may now find our way back to Albany sooner than expected!

Reviewed November 28, 2013

For an overnight in Albany just before Thanksgiving, this was a great surprise. As noted by others, the place is very unassuming from the outside, as you walk down into what is basically a basement. The place is small, only ten tables in three separate rooms and the atmosphere is intimate and very well done. The menu is small but what's on it is excellent. I started with the grilled beet salad, followed by linguine with clams and sausage. However the real reason we came to theis place was the wine list, which is over the top if one is a fan of Turley red wines. We each started with a glass of the Talbott 2012 Logan Chardonnay, which has wonderful crisp minerality that is reiminiscent of prior years, after what we thought was an unfortunate 2011 vintage. Then time to choose a red. A whole page of Turley zins and Petite Syrahs. Wow! We splurged for the 2007 PS, which as Parker notes, is an enormous wine. It did not disappoint, and neither did this Bistro. Highly recommended.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

If you want a delicious meal, fairly priced delivered by some of the best servers in Albany, come here. Lovely selections on to regular menu are accompanied by daily specials. Great wine selection and cozy ambiance. Be sure to check out the patio when the weather permits!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We were seated outside at the only 2 person table left available, which unfortunately was right under a hanging plant. I understand not wanting to use up larger tables, but there was plenty of other seating available. The drinks were good, but rather pricey. The food was good, but again - a bit overpriced. Overall, it was a good meal, but I will try something else next time we're in Albany.