“Drink and Munch”
Review of Taste - CLOSED

Taste
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a great place for drinks and an intimate meal. The drinks were very well made and the ambience is cool, but not hipster. The appetizers were excellent - you must try the beef short ribs! Absolutely delicious.

Out of four dinners though two were over cooked. I'd return for sure, but perhaps try a pasta for dinner rather than a meat.

Dessert was also well crafted. Our waiter was fun and the entire evening was very relaxing. I recommend if you have a group of four to request a booth as it is tucked away and you can laugh, drink, and eat without onlookers.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I've been to this restaurant a handful of times. Never reviewed it here previously. If I had, I would have rated it a 4. Food is ordinarily very good-excellent, with a creative menu. It has always suffered a bit from a staff that seems overly impressed with themselves, but that'snot uncommon, sad to say.
The other day, the wife mentioned to me that we had a couple of those Groupon-type (but not Groupoon in this instance) certificates that had expired because we have an unfortunate tendency to buy them and then stick them in a folder and forget about them.
Since we planned to be out in the downtown Albany area last evening, we decided to contact Taste, where we had a cerificate that expired last week. We figured it was likely that they would not honor the discount, but at least allow us the $25 we had paid for the certificate.
Well, imagine our nerve in putting forth a question like this. Six phone calls over a period of three days could not produce a definite answer to a simple question. Only "the manager" could respond, and we had the uncanny ability to be "in a meeeting" whenever we called. Providing a phone number didn't produce a return call either. The last call made, barely an hour before we wanted to eat, produced no manager, but the person who answered the phone did say that it was unlikely that the retaurant would honor the certificate for anything, a message delivered in a conspicuously condescending tone. Needless to say, we dined elsewhere.
Arrogance and rudeness are not appropriate in a chef-owned independent restaurant, and we got plenty of both. Needless to say, we will not return. Food was good, but not to the point where boorishness is part of the package.
Perhaps it would be appropriate to change the name of the place to Tasteless.

2  Thank DonQGuilderland_NY
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The four of us had an excellent meal, and we will definitely go back. Located on Beaver Street, they have valet parking for $5, probably a necessity. Not a big eater, I had the lamb stew, beet and heirloom carrot salad, and a tapas plate of squash tortelli with escargot and soy butter. All were perfect. Tablemates had salmon, amberjack and steak. All dishes were inventive, without being overly clever, beautifully presented and totally delicious.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

So, like the last few reviewers my wife and I had a Groupon for the 2 entrees and 2 drinks for $43. I phoned ahead for a reservation for the next day and had no problems. When we arrived we were seated immediately and told the waitress we were using a Groupon and were treated no differently. Coincidentally the 2 tables on either side of us were also using Groupons; seems a lot of people are using these things up! As per another reviewer we were told they were out of several items. We ordered the Butternut Squash Gnocchi for an appetizer. My wife ordered the NY Strip while I ordered the Sausage Stuffed Lamb. The Gnocchi came quickly, looked and tasted fabulous. The couple to our right said they also ordered the Gnocchi, but theirs came out with the Gnocchi burned on the bottom and the butter sauce dark brown like the color of gravy and they sent it back. Our dinners came out shortly after, and again everything looked and tasted great. For desert we ordered the White Chocolate Cheesecake. Although it was a very small portion (about 3 1/2 inches in diameter) it was very rich and tasty. So why am I not rating Taste higher? It's all the little things that we observed that pull it down, like the girl who seated us. While she was very nice, she was dressed like a hippie. Her hair was disheveled and she wore a loud-colored flowy top, while the rest of the staff looked professional in all-black. Our table was also set incorrectly with knives on the left and forks on the right. We personally witnessed the same girl clean the table next to us by brushing the table off with her hand and then setting the table (incorrectly again!) without a cloth to sanitize it! We told our waitress what we witnessed and she had all silverware removed and the table wiped down and reset properly with fresh silverware. Our waitress was definitely one of the brighter spots of the evening and we appreciated her quick action with the dirty table incident. While our food was delicious, the woman at the table to our right left half her entree. As they were paying they told the waitress; "this was not one of your best efforts". Also the table to our left told us their dinner was "average and overpriced". Finally, when I went to use the restroom there was a mop bucket and mop in the middle of the bathroom, a wet floor, and an out of order sign on the only stall in the mens room. It's the lack of attention to detail that made us wonder what else aren't we seeing? In the end there are a dozen places I can go and pay $100+ for a dinner for two in downtown Albany. If you want people to come to your restaurant, you need to shore up your loose ends.

2  Thank IrishDemon
Reviewed January 13, 2013

For full disclosure, we had a Groupon for $43 that included a beverage (not soda. beer) and an entree. We did need to pay for valet service, there really is no street parking. We ate in one of their booths which gave us privacy and some quiet. The floor seating was noisy, and the table were very close.

Our server was very patient explaining the unusual food choices and she made sure we kept within the limits of the Groupon. She also explained that several items were out since they are changing the menu next week. That was a disappointment since I had looked at their website to help decide what I might like.

The rolls were warm ordinary white rolls. They came with a tiny three-section choice of spreads: citrus dressing, butter and oil. It was hard to get the oil onto the roll. The roll basket was taken when the entrees arrived and there was no offer for more to go with the dinner.

My husband is a vegetarian and had one choice on the menu for an entree and he like it very much. A plate with three sections came, a small serving of butternut risotto, a small slice of a vegetable terrine and zucchini fritters. The food was flavorful but was not filling. He also had a Caesar salad that was small but presented on a plate in a strip (rectangular) shape with the anchovies and dressing in a strip by the side. For dessert he had the chocolate cheesecake which was tasty.

I had a Brussel sprout and grape hot salad that was out of the world, creative and wonderful. My steak was huge. It was served with the mashed potatoes under it. A mushroom topping that was tasty was on top. I took most of it home since I do not eat that much protein at one meal. My dessert was caramel custard with chocolate marshmallows, which were very good.

Service was uneven the only offer to fill our water glasses was at the end of the meal. We had to ask for a coffee refill.

Our additional bill was about $50 for the appetizers, dessert and tip.

Would we go back? Maybe for the appetizers and deserts if they were available.