“experience doesn't match the hype - at all” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taste - CLOSED

Taste
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
NY
“experience doesn't match the hype - at all”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

Two colleagues and I went stopped in for lunch. No one was at the podium, and after waiting at least five minutes, one of us had to walk around the restaurant to find someone to seat us. Our server was uppity and pretentious yet didn't provide good service; it was weird. The food came and the foccacia bread used for my sandwich was hard as a rock. I couldn't even bite into it and had to use a fork and knife to cut it apart. We ordered dessert and what we got didn't match what was described on the menu. Totally different flavor of gelato with absolutely no acknowledgment of its being different.

To make it worse, afterward I wrote to them about the experience and got no response whatsoever.

There are a lot of places to eat in Albany. One of them is Jack's, which is right around the corner and consistently provides amazing food and service. 677 Prime, Nicole's, Albany Pump Station - all of them easily provide a much better restaurant experience than Taste. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited December 2010

Albany, New York
“Taste-less”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

I went to taste for lunch on a beautiful afternoon, excited to sit on the patio and eat something different from typical lunch fare. The outdoor seating area was fantastic. However, lunch was incredibly disappointing.
I ordered the turkey club - not something I ever get - but was enticed by the description that it would be made with pancetta and arugula, instead of bacon and lettuce. Guess what....No pancetta - and no arugula. Regular old bacon (and a very skimpy amount) and regular old lettuce - again, a very skimpy amount.
And yes, they still charged $11 for a turkey sandwich that was supposed to be something special but was far from it.

• Visited July 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Albany, New York
“Food OK, The help....terrible!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

My review focuses on the parking and valet service that is provided. Our party was leaving the establishment, and I noted that my car along with other patrons cars had been parked at metered spots near the HSBC bank. There were a few other spots ahead of these (nearer to the entrance that had red bags over the meters. I assume the bagged meters were spots that the restaurant paid the City of Albany for. While waiting for my car to be driven the 40 feet or so from the HSBC spot, I overheard one of the valet drivers berating a driver in a red Mercedes for asking to park for a few moments at one of the open, but bagged meters. From what I heard, the driver simply wanted to go to the ATM at the HSBC bank. As all of Albany knows, there is virtually no parking available in the downtown area, so I ask....why could the valet driver not allow this man to use the spot for a few moments? The language used by the valet guy was berating, foul, and uncalled for. Taste has lost my future patronage, and well as the patronage of my entire party.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank desertjohn
Upstate NY
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

We had multiple appetizers so that we could taste a lot of different items. Everything tasted great and was presented very nicely. We wound up ordering seconds on a couple of dishes because we liked them so much. Service was great. We will return. My husband is a chef and he was blown away by the food, and he's very critical.

• Visited January 2011
Toronto
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“To all you celiacs visiting Albany - this is paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

We chose Taste because it was across the street from Times Union Center but especially because 80% of its menu was gluten free. We were very pleasantly surprised. We had seafood. Normally we would have to forgo the sauce due to the gluten but not at this restaurant. Both of our entrées were divine and the gluten-free dinner rolls are to die for. The wine steward suggested a reasonably priced California Zin that was the best I've had in years. P.S. There's home-made ice cream for desert!

• Visited May 2011