“Food OK, The help....terrible!”
Review of Taste - CLOSED

Taste
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Albany, New York
“Food OK, The help....terrible!”
Reviewed June 25, 2011

My review focuses on the parking and valet service that is provided. Our party was leaving the establishment, and I noted that my car along with other patrons cars had been parked at metered spots near the HSBC bank. There were a few other spots ahead of these (nearer to the entrance that had red bags over the meters. I assume the bagged meters were spots that the restaurant paid the City of Albany for. While waiting for my car to be driven the 40 feet or so from the HSBC spot, I overheard one of the valet drivers berating a driver in a red Mercedes for asking to park for a few moments at one of the open, but bagged meters. From what I heard, the driver simply wanted to go to the ATM at the HSBC bank. As all of Albany knows, there is virtually no parking available in the downtown area, so I ask....why could the valet driver not allow this man to use the spot for a few moments? The language used by the valet guy was berating, foul, and uncalled for. Taste has lost my future patronage, and well as the patronage of my entire party.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank desertjohn

Upstate NY
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome”
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We had multiple appetizers so that we could taste a lot of different items. Everything tasted great and was presented very nicely. We wound up ordering seconds on a couple of dishes because we liked them so much. Service was great. We will return. My husband is a chef and he was blown away by the food, and he's very critical.

• Visited January 2011
Toronto
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“To all you celiacs visiting Albany - this is paradise!”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

We chose Taste because it was across the street from Times Union Center but especially because 80% of its menu was gluten free. We were very pleasantly surprised. We had seafood. Normally we would have to forgo the sauce due to the gluten but not at this restaurant. Both of our entrées were divine and the gluten-free dinner rolls are to die for. The wine steward suggested a reasonably priced California Zin that was the best I've had in years. P.S. There's home-made ice cream for desert!

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank CanoeGypsy
Albany, New York
“No doubt, the best dining experience Albany has to offer.”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I was somewhat hesitant to make reservations for 8 on Valentine's weekend, but not to worry. From the moment you enter this venue, now named "Taste", you are entering another realm in Albany dining. From the elegance of the surroundings, to the attentive wait staff, most knowledgable sommelier and dedicated mangement, this dining experience is exceptional. And this was before we tasted any of the food. The choices are so varied and unlike anything you typically find in the area. The preparation and presentation by executive chef Paul and his staff were outstanding, and our favorites included the braised Kobe ravioli, lobster macaroni and cheese, crispy skinned snapper and wild boar sausage. We can't wait to return and sample the dessert menu. The new menu prices make this a true value in fine dining. Don't miss this experience.

• Visited February 2011
Edmonton, Canada
“Catering”
Reviewed October 18, 2010

I did not rate the value or atmosphere since my experience was with the catering service and not the sit down restaurant. I attended a birthday party on the 13th floor of the building the Dale Miller restaurant is located. The buffet for the party was done by the restaurant and was truly excellent. Some of the better items I remember (open bar :P) are the braised Kobe cheeks which simply melted in your mouth! Also excellent were the Wonton Crips, duck, and even the turkey. I usually find turkey to be very dry but this one wasn't at all and the sauce was again excellent.

I am not sure if all of these items are on the restaurant menu but if you go and any of them are I strongly recommend you try them. The next time I'm in Albany I will for sure go and try the actual restaurant.