“Perfect!”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed December 15, 2010

We where in Albany installing equipment for a new DiBella's Sub shop. Driving from Rochester in a blinding snow storm for five hours and working like a mule for eight hours we could not wait to see and taste the #1 rated restaurant in Albany. Perfect! From the moment you arrive you know this is something special.Only 22 seats, only the lovely owner Katrina waiting tables, only Katrinas Husband in the small open kitchen, it feels like it's only you they are serving. The food? Some of the best Italian I have Tasted (being in the food service business for 35 years I have tasted food from all over the world). We are returning to Albany in late January 2011. See you then at Katrinella's.

1  Thank golflad69

Reviewed December 10, 2010

I arrived at 6 alone with no reservation so I assumed I was out of luck. The man sat me at the only open table. I ordered the calamari in capers and white wine appetizer and the fettuchini carbonara entree. Both were great, large portions! I also received a nice small loaf of bread with flavored olive oil and a wedding soup came with my entree. I can see why this place is so popular, they could be charging much more and get it. It is only a matter of time until this place outgrows the small dining room they currently have, check it out now before it changes.

1  Thank professah13
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Both the lunch ($10) and dinner ($20) specials are hard to beat! The best Italian food in town. Katrinella's has the best food & most romantic setting in town. Small & personal with great attention to detail. Addicted to the homemade bread and garlic oil dip.

Reviewed November 5, 2010

...but I wasn't. I made reservations for our 25th anniversary and the gentleman on the phone was delightful. We were able to book a table for four at 7:30 and HOW I WISH I HAD KNOWN that a party of 14 also had a reservation. I am always glad to see a restaurant operating at capacity, but in such a confined place, the din was overwhelming--the happy voices tend to reverberate off copper ceilings. I wasn't really expecting to have an intimate dinner (we had our 17-year-old daughter and 21-year-old son with us), but neither did I expect to have to shout to be heard at my own table. At least we were able to put in our orders ahead of the big group. We enjoyed the warm bread and the dipping oil, and we also liked the fried mozzarella. The salads were just wonderful and the Italian wedding soup was also a hit. Our daughter ordered bruschetta, and was astonished to be presented with what looked like a personal pan pizza. She wasn't crazy about it and only ate half. Our son's fettuccine carbonara was the best I have ever snuck a forkful of--one bite was probably equal to twenty minutes on the treadmill. Decadent, and exactly what carbonara should be. I had veal marsala which was sublime, and my husband was delighted with his veal parmigiana. The house Chianti was delicious. I know people rave about the service as well as the food, but I regret that I cannot do the same. I understand that everyone has an off night and it's probably daunting to be faced with such an onslaught of customers at one time. The man who served us was not exactly glacial, but he was far from cordial and he...bussed...the...table...one...plate...at...a...time. I wanted to spring up and help him, but sanity prevailed.
So, all in all, the food was for the most part very memorable. It's nice to eat downtown. Katrinella's ceiling is a thing of beauty (the entryway will win no design prizes, though). I will probably go back to see if the chilly service was an anomaly, but I may have to walk the twelve miles to get there because I plan to have the fettuccine carbonara....!

6  Thank Lori12309
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I have been to Katrinella's Bistro a number of times and all I can ever say is "FANTASTIC" !
They are truley one of the very BEST Restaurants in the entire Capital Region.
The Food, Wine and Service is absolutely wonderful.
Can't wait to go back, time and time again.

1  Thank Brian G