“Unfortunate ending to a pleasant experience”
Review of Provence - Albany

Provence - Albany
Reserve with OpenTable
Provence - Albany is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 686 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Mediterranean, French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fuller Road
Mastic Beach, New York
“Unfortunate ending to a pleasant experience”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We visited Provence on July 5th as part of my birthday celebration. My daughter, who lives in the area, knows I like French food and made 7:30 reservations. We arrived a little early, but we seated right away. The atmosphere was attractive and there was a piano player, which was very nice. (We enjoyed the music, but were glad we were seated on the upper level a little ways back from it, otherwise we felt it would have obstructed conversation.) We had a nice meal, though I wouldn't say any dish stood out as exceptional. I've had better escargot, but my Coquille St. Jacques was very good.

About the time we were getting our entrees, the woman at the table next to us got excited thinking she'd seen a mouse behind her husband's shoulder. (They were sitting at the end table in a row of banquet seating, and I was sitting next to her husband.) Since none of us saw it, including her husband, we chalked it up to a trick of the light or something and went on with our meal. As we were about to have dessert, my daughter suddenly lifted her feet off the floor and said, "She was right! There's a mouse!" My husband saw it scurry across the floor too. Needless to say, the rest of the meal was no longer relaxed. Since we'd been having such a nice time, we didn't want to end it with a big argument, so we joked about "dinner and a show," but honestly, I thought the restaurant's reaction when we told them what had happened was sorely lacking in terms of customer service.

When we told the waiter what had happened, he shrugged it off, offering to move our seats, saying, "I apologize, but in old buildings like this, this happens sometimes... blah, blah." He never called the manager over to apologize as one would expect at a nice restaurant, and nothing was taken off the bill as a way of trying to make amends. The more we thought about it, the more angry we became because we could've made a big public stink about it and/or called the department of health. I mean, while a random field mouse can get into any building, how do we know the restaurant was infested with them? For that alone, I would not go return or recommend that anyone I know go there.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Slix

Albany, New York, United States
“Cosy French Bistro”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

If you like French food, this is a great place for lunch or dinner. The French Fries are authentic and served in a paper cone -- truly tasty! My favorite dish is the crab cakes.

Visited April 2012
Kinderhook, New York
“Never fails”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I have been to Provence countless times over the years and it consistently very good. The atmosphere is warm and the outdoor patio lovely in good weather. The roast chicken is wonderful and the steak frites is always a treat.
You can't go wrong here - one of your best choices in Albany.

• Visited June 2012
Albany, NY
“Very good food”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This resto has some interesting dishes (french but some portuguese choices also). Always have tasty food here.

Saratoga Springs, New York
“Love!!!”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

One of our favorite restaurants in the Albany area!! Amazing food!!! Amazing ambiance!!
I have gone many times with my husband or girlfriends. Both Lunch and Dinner is excellent!! I find myself always craving the french onion soup... (the best I ever had)
I love the option of the small plates for entrees as well.
Don't miss out on dessert too!!

• Visited April 2012