“No frills here, but that's not a bad thing”

Days Inn Albany SUNY
Ranked #33 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed January 21, 2012

From the outside, we weren't sure what we were going to get (which has become our motto with Days Inn as it is). We were road weary, as we had just driven through heavy fog and icy conditions in Vermont and just wanted to settle in for the night. When checking in, my husband was told that there was no wireless internet but they had a couple ethernet cables available. I was not planning to do any work, so we passed on that. Our room was on the second floor (no elevator, as someone else mentioned). We were pleasantly surprised to see that for the most part, our room was clean and devoid of any strange smells. I don't remember anything about the bed, but we both slept well. My only issue with this room was something I found on the bottom of the shower that neither I, nor my husband could identify. It looked as though someone had coughed up blood and spit it in the shower, then it dried up (at first glance-I didn't inspect it by any means). My husband removed it from the shower with some toilet paper. We didn't use the shower in the morning since we were just driving home anyway. I'm sure if we had called the front desk they would have done something about it, but to be honest, we were too tired to go through the process of moving to another room.

Other than that, the room was fine. Nothing fancy, but it wasn't a dump either.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Albany SUNY

Reviewed November 29, 2011

This is my 5th stay since July and each time has been just fine; hotel personnel are personable and professional; rooms are clean; TV & remote work well; bathrooms are spotless and showers are excellent; I love the breakfast (English muffins, bagels, pastry, cereal & milk, fresh fruit, apple juice and great OJ, etc.). Economically priced and excellent value received; close to Albany city limits and the University; on Western Ave. which is a loooong street and if you go west deeper into suburb of Guilderland plenty of grocery markets & stores; couple miles east brings you into Crossgates Mall and a ton of shops in the metro area. Dunkin Donuts, Getty gas station, sports bar, Rite-Aid, small plaza, even a small movie theater either right next door or within a 5 minute drive; very convenient location; more I stay, the more I learn!

Room Tip: no elevator, so ask for ground floor & refrigerator
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2011

No frills needed, the room was clean and quiet, the bed was comfortable, and the included continental breakfast was plenty. Right on US Rt. 20 across from the entrance to SUNY Albany and close to the entrance to US Rts. 90 & 87 and the NY Thruway, very convenient location. Adjacent to Dunkin' Donuts; nearby shopping center has drug store, restaurants, numerous others. Less expensive than alternatives and perfectly acceptable.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I booked a reservation online for here because the price was very low. Overall, it was a great stay! The people at the desk were very informative and helpful about the amenities. There were no problems with the room at all. I found the bed to be very comfortable, but it could be because I was exhausted. Everything was spotless, the ice machines worked, and they were very good about keeping the breakfast area stocked in the morning. It is across from a gas station, right next to a Dunkin' Donuts, down the road from a Burger King, and you can see the University of Albany. If you want a good hotel, and you don't want to spend a fortune, this is a good choice.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We chose this hotel as a convenient stopover, which it was. It wasn't a wonderful place to stay, although there was nothing really bad about it (it was just a bit tired), but was fair value for money.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I chose this Days Inn for it's location and reasonable room rate. Upon arrival, the gentleman at the front desk was efficient and succinct in his description of the hotel lay out and amenities that are available (such as breakfast, the location of vending machines, etc.) He was neither cold nor friendly. Just professional, which is fine by my standards. The room was spacious considering the size of the motel. Comfortable. The bathroom was immaculate, however, the towels were a bit moist for whatever reason. Fortunately, I always bring my own towels.The rest of the room was clean as well. There is indeed WiFi in the rooms,which I wouldn't say is necessarily high-speed but none-the-less quick and sufficient. It was a bit chilly the first night, so, be aware that you must set the thermostat higher than usual. Once the heat is on, it is comfortable. Other members of the staff at the front desk were extremely pleasant and helpful, including the woman on duty in the evening who reset my card key ( I was not aware that a cell phone can interfere with a room key!) and the younger woman who checked me out. Public transportation is accessible directly in front of the motel. There are several restaurant choices as well as a convenience store directly across the street, next to the entrance to the SUNY at Albany campus. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 22, 2011

This property is indicated as a Days Inn Chairman's Award Property, which is given to Days Inn which "consistently meet and exceed the Days Inn® Quality Assurance Standards" and "consistently exceed the expectations of the guests they serve." I was slightly let down after seeing that and having read reasonably good reviews here and on another site.

Perhaps it was because I was traveling with pets and I specifically requested a room near the side door to make loading in and out easier, but the room I had wasn't anything special, and was certainly less than I'd expected from a Chairman's Award Property. The carpet had plenty of stains on it and from the interest of my dogs it was obvious that previous pets had toileted on the rug--and on the corner of one of the beds/bedspreads. Also, the bathroom mirror had toothpaste splatters on it when I arrived.

I didn't try the breakfast.

Overall, this actually was a satisfactory place to stay and I'd be equally likely to stay again as I might be to gamble on another similar hotel with good reviews. It seemed to be a good price for the area, and it was fairly convenient for my destination.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo