“Very nice but a bit costly”

Hilton Garden Inn Albany Airport
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

I normally stay elsewhere when in The room was very clean and well maintained.

The bed was super comfortable and I slept like I was floating on a cloud.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a Keurig coffee maker in the room. While I think they are wasteful it was nice to try one out.

It was nice to see that the bar supported the wines of the Finger Lakes area.

For the cost I would have liked to have had breakfast included. I normally stay at the very nice Holiday Inn Express in Latham for a lower cost and free breakfast.

I would stay here again but only if the rest of the team was as well. Otherwise I would stay elsewhere to save a few dollars and receive a free breakfast.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank robinwsmith

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Late flight arriving into Albany, and the hotel was clean, with friendly and alert desk staff, and quiet and comfortable room. Whew! Very relaxing. After a long travel day, the last thing I wanted was any surprises or hassles, and it was so nice to get straight up to my very nice room.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

This Hilton Garden Inn is immediately adjacent to Albany International Airport, but tucked into a nicely-landscaped wooded lot. The property seems to be very well sound-proofed; planes taking off and landing directly overhead are wholly inaudible inside the building.

The front desk was well-staffed, and the personnel were friendly, efficient, and helpful. The housekeeping staff, as always in this chain, was friendly and excellent at their jobs. This property would have been rated five stars, except for an extremely unpleasant experience in the hotel restaurant that evening.

Our waitress was brusque and not terribly helpful, attentive, or pleasant. She managed to drop a fully-loaded tray of drinks three feet from our table, with the end result of spilled beer, wine, and a lot of broken glass that just managed to miss us. Our waitress neither apologized for the noise and mess, nor did she offer to reseat us at another table. She was rude to the poor gentleman from the kitchen who was summoned to clean up the mess she had made. To top off the evening, one of our meals was burnt on the bottom, indicating that the kitchen staff is not attentive to their jobs.

As has been the case at a number of other HGIs we have stayed in recent years, general management seems to not be very adept at hiring competent kitchen and dining room personnel. This is really too bad, because they seem to do an excellent job of hiring and training the rest of the hotel staff. In all fairness, the breakfast that we had the next morning in the same restaurant couldn't have been better. The cooked-to-order items were the best we have had in any HGI in recent memory, and the waitress was friendly and solicitous. Which simply goes to show that it can be done.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Got in to Albany in the evening after a long flight and didn't feel like driving home. Booked this room on the spur of the moment. Front desk staff were very friendly when I arrived and gave me all of the information I needed regarding the hotel. Even got me a wine glass for the wine I purchased at the desk. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. I ordered room service and it came quickly and the food was very good. The only negative is that cleaning staff knocked on the door at 8:20am.....not a major thing but kinda early to be knocking to clean the room. All in all a very nice hotel!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Close to the Albany airport, it provides the best service in the area. The staff are always friendly and helpful. The food is good and well presented. I always stay here when working or shopping in the area.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

When I stay in Albany I really like staying at the Hilton Garden Inn across from the airport. It really is an undiscovered gem in the category of "airport hotels." It is always extremely clean, it is quiet, upscale, and the people who work there are top-notch.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We picked this location so we could be close to the airport and still have a nice place to stay. We enjoyed the pool/hottub as well as the great breakfast. We arrived late but were greeted by a nite staff that was friendly and helpful. We look forward to another stay.