“We have nicknamed this "Mouse Mansion"” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of State Street Mansion Bed and Breakfast

State Street Mansion Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Albany
State Street Mansion Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 6 Albany B&B and Inns
rochester new york
“We have nicknamed this "Mouse Mansion"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

Although we had our doubts when the lady meeting us at the entrance knew nothing about the area or how to get to the Times Union Center; and when we asked when breakfast is served, and her answer was "whenever you want - it's all here already", we were still willing to give the place a chance. The breakfast area was stark, furnished in chrome, diner-like furniture, and all the items were already in place the night before for the guests to warm up. But, we figured ours was a short stay to see a concert at the Times Union Center. However, when we went upstairs to our room, a large, dark colored mouse ran across the floor. When I pointed out the problem to the lady (we later found out she was the innkeeper's mother), her only response was, "Well it is an old house". We requested a refund and left immediately. She did comply with our request. But compared to other B & B experiences, this was horrible.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2007

Just a quick email to thank you so much for your wonderful hospitality when I stayed with you about a week ago. You have a beautiful establishment and I can honestly say, that I enjoyed my stay! I will certainly have no hesitation in recommending your lovely B&B. The bay window while enjoying breakfast was wonderful!
Best wishes for a successful 2007.
Yours sincerely,
Mark Singleton

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank PoliticallyCorrect
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2007

I have stayed in bed and breakfasts so know what to expect, however this was an experience I will never repeat, even if paid.

The room was a so called cheaper room rate. The large window was covered with blue cloth at the top and opaque plastic bags type material below. A staple gun was the means of keeping this attached to the wooden framework. Broken wooden blinds. The effect of this is that I had constant interrupted sleep during the period of days I was there as there was constant light coming through the window which was very near the bed. I pointed this out to the owner on the first night and he said that I would have no problems sleeping at night as there were no street lights. That was untrue! Add to that the rustling of the plastic bags or whatever it was. Why didn't I move to another B & B or hotel you might ask? Well nothing else was available. When I first saw the room I asked about another room. I didn't care about full price. Told nothing available. I won't comment further on that. Additionally I was made to pay for the full stay prior to getting to the room!

The TV had paint splodges on it. Remote control did not work. Gave this to owner, was not returned fixed. I was told that he knew it wasn't working. Go figure! Had asked for a desk in the room, was told it would be arranged. On arrival, was told that the bedside lamp desk was sufficient. I specified a writing desk! Kicked up a fuss so was brought a desk of some sort, actually no , a fold out table!!!!

The bedding! Well it was a baubled cover of some sort. Luckily the sheets were clean. Trust me I took no chances. I smelt them.
There was dust on the headboard of the bed. Carpets old and stained. Bathroom could have been better. Needs renovation. Tiling loose on the floor. Cupboards old.

Breakfast. Nothing special. Cereal, fruit and coffee. Fruit was not changed whilst I was there. I did eat some whilst there as I was
desperate. Were not good. Only thing safe was the oranges.

I think its sums it all up when you check out without anyone being around! Could have been so much better if ran properly. Owner not available. Even if I could accept that I had paid 10-15 dollars less than the other guests, it was just unacceptable!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank chi4u
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2006

The room itself was small and clean. The bathroom could be cleaner; there was still some hair on a bathtub. The TV was old and small. The wallpaper on the ceiling was coming out in one place. The room was cold; it was 63F in the evening. I called the owner, and he instructed me to turn on a heater which increased temperature to 64F after 3 hours. So I turned it off because it made more noise than heat. Heater was also very old so I was afraid to leave it overnight, so it would not cause any fire. The temperature at 7:00am was 60F. The breakfast was very simple: muffins, cereal, milk, toast, bananas. Also, the pipes made noise every time someone used a toilet. The location was good for me as it was close to convention center, and the price was lower than Crowne Hotel close by. The Crowne Plaza Hotel is much better, so the price had to be lower.
There were no towels in the bathroom, I had my own towel so I did not contact owner about it.
Next day, he called me about 5:30pm and told me that two towels are missing. I told him that there were no towels, but he insisted that he saw towels hanging in a bathroom when he took me to the room. But he did not even walk into the bathroom, and there were no towels.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2005

I had several opportunities to stay in State Street while interviewing for a job and then looking for a house in the area. The rooms are gorgeous, particularly on the top floor, where there is a stunning warehouse-style room with a soaring 25 foot ceiling and so forth. The beds are awesome. Almost too comfortable. The food is great in the morning, the owners are nice, and the architecture is beautiful. I was there is the long and miserable winter of Albany and didn't realize how great the location was until now - for spring, summer or fall you would not do better anywhere in Albany in terms of proximity to the city's restaurants and the major institutions in the downtown area. I had only two gripes, both minor: the wireless service is from 1995 - barely works and requires some kind of voodoo authentication that didn't work on my Mac. I finally ended up squatting wireless Internet from some place nearby through the window. And $10 a day for parking in downtown Albany for guests? I think maybe not. But these are tiny gripes. This is a beautiful, well appointed, elegant B&B run by the nicest folks around. You'll love it.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank G M
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2004

A magical place!! That's the way to call it. We arrived on August 7th and it was great. Our group was four adults and a 4year old child and the owner, Terry, showed us two big beautiful rooms, each at opposite ends of the hallway at the second floor. It was a little cold at Albany and Terry offered us to start the fireplace. It wasn't necesary but the offer was a nice thing to say after our long trip.

The rooms are gigantic, the house is interesting and we loved the cat. Each morning we had coffee, muffins or toast, juice and melons. We loved it !! By the way this was included on the $79 per night rate. The place is very clean and Terry and his staff will make you feel at home. We are planning to go back soon!!

• Stayed August 2004