“Above and Beyond”

TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center
Ranked #20 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The staff is super friendly--They have a coffee and tea bar here, but there were no herbal teas out. I asked a lady at the front desk if they had any in the back, and she came back and gave me a tea bag OUT OF HER OWN PURSE.

The rooms are huge and luxurious and CLEAN!

I stayed here for the NY State Bar, and afterwards went to a resort at a beach. This room was by far way nicer than the room at my 4 Star Resort.

They offered shuttle service to the Bar Exam, which was nice.

Room Tip: The Standard King still had a kitchen and huge desk.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Lynsee B, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and speak so highly of our property and suites! Being compared to a 4 star resort on the beach is an amazing compliment and our staff will be ecstatic to hear this. We hope to be able to accommodate your future stays in Albany! Thank you for choosing the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I used to live in the Center Square neighborhood, just a few blocks away, and various family members stayed at this hotel with mixed reviews. I had to travel back to Albany and choose this hotel since I knew the area, and needed dog-friendly accommodations (limited dog-friendly options in Albany). Friendly front desk staff. The queen suite was clean and comfortable; the AC was set to 68 degrees and was on the chilly side when I arrived, so I adjusted to 71 and the temp equaled out quickly. Very comfortable bed and pillows. Most of the complaints I heard from family members were related to noise ("paper thin walls"). There was a gap under the room's main door to the hallway, which would let in plenty of noise, but the room I had was on the 3rd floor, in the middle of the building, in the portion that juts out over the back entryway - meaning the bedroom did not have other bedrooms directly next door. That must be the secret because with my bedroom door shut, facing the back of the property, I had a very quiet night. I didn't check out the breakfast or any other amenities. My only personal complaint is the dog deposit, $100 non-refundable, which in my travel experience is high. I appreciate why they apply a deposit but for small, clean, and well-behaved dogs like mine, it's a little steep.

Room Tip: Ask about a suite in the back of the building that juts out over the back entry. Probably quieter si...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Lynsee B, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Thank you for your review! We're glad to hear that you had a quiet night and that the accommodations were comfortable. Thank you for bringing your concerns regarding the pet fee to our attention. This is something that we will certainly look into and see if it can be negotiated! On behalf of the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, thank you for staying with us! We hope to accommodate your future stays when you are back in the Albany area.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We chose this hotel because it is away from the noisy freeways and very close to downtown Albany, with easy access. We had a lovely, spacious unit on the top floor with a nice view of Albany's city center. Our suite was well-appointed, with full kitchen, very comfortable bed, and everything was in perfect working order. We were impressed how squeaky-clean everything was, not just in our unit but the indoor pool area, the elevators, hallways, and even the staircase. The entire hotel is very well-maintained and looks like brand new.

The hospitality by the staff was wonderful! Every employee greeted us with a friendly hello and a warm smile.

The complimentary breakfast was most satisfying. We appreciated the service till 10:30 am on weekends, since we had just arrived from the West Coast.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lynsee B, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for your review! It's great to hear that you had such a great experience at our hotel. Our staff will be delighted to hear your kind words about the cleanliness of the hotel as well as their customer service. Thank you for choosing the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown, we look forward to accommodating your future stays in Albany!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I chose this hotel due to it being the closest to my downtown appointments, but it was not a great experience. The check-in process was poorly-run (the young person needs more experience) and the condition of the room was dated and worn. There were a couple of holes in the wall where pictures had been taken down and not replaced, and every electrical outlet I tried was loose and difficult to plug in to. Next time I'll go back out toward UAlbany and the Wolf Road area, where there is also much more to do nearby.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Lynsee B, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. It is extremely unfortunate that you had the experience you had while staying at our property. We certainly appreciate you taking the time to provide us your feedback so that we are able to fix the problems you encountered. In the future if you do choose to stay at the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, we do offer a local shuttle service that is available to transport our guests around Albany to restaurants, nightlife, historic sites as well as entertainment venues. Thank you for staying at our hotel, we do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

If it weren't for the awful sofa sleeper bed that I had to sleep on, I would give this property a higher rating. I was told that the sofa sleeper was memory foam, but it certainly was not - I could feel every spring all night long and in the morning had a moderate backache. Other than that, the room was very nice, spotlessly clean, with a well equipped kitchen. The large bed in the bedroom (which is where my mother slept) was apparently VERY comfortable!

If I was to return to the area, I would stay here again, but I'm claiming the good bed!

Front Desk staff was very friendly. Breakfast area on Sunday morning was dirty with sticky tables and needed some attention.

Room Tip: Room 602 had a nice view of the state office complex, with a glimpse of the state capitol building.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Our sincere apologies for the discomfort of our pull out sofa bed! We do hope that you are able to come back to Albany and enjoy our comfortable beds. Thank you very much for your review and feedback. The issues that you have brought up have all been addressed with each department in hopes to prevent them from occurring again. On behalf of the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, thank you for choosing our hotel and we look forward to accommodating your future stays in Albany.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed in this hotel and it was wonderful!! The customer service was excellent!! The folks at the front desk were very friendly and helpful!! They offered to print out directions for us and gave us many menus of local places to eat! The room was a two room suite with a full kitchen and a separate temperature control in each room. The rooms were very clean and very comfortable. The was a TV in the living room and the bedroom. The living room also including a work area and there was a lot of storage space in the living room, kitchen, and bedroom and a full sized mirror. There was also free wifi. In the lobby there was an area where you could purchase snacks, ice cream, and food to cook in the microwave. There was a large parking lot and parking was free. We would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: Try one of the suites! We had a full kitchen, a living room, bedroom, and bathroom with a temperatu...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lynsee B, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you very much for your review! We are ecstatic that you had such a great experience at our hotel and will be coming back! Our front desk staff takes pride in their knowledge of the local area and will be delighted to hear that they were able to take care of your needs We look forward to accommodating your future stays in Albany! On behalf of the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, thank you for choosing our property!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Had a good three days here on business. Sadly my camera disappeared from the hotel room and I only noticed it on arriving home. I don't blame the Hotel. Watch your stuff. This part of Albany is not very nice. Don't go jogging after dark here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Lynsee B, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We checked our lost & found and unfortunately did not find any record of your camera. If you happen to remember the last place you had left it, we are more than willing to investigate this further and assist in finding it! On behalf of the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown, thank you for choosing our hotel!