“Great Place to Stay in Albany” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center

TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center
Ranked #23 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Claremont, New Hampshire
“Great Place to Stay in Albany”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the TownePlace Suites in Albany near Downtown/Medical Center. The staff is friendly and very helpful. From the moment you walk in there is a warm smile to greet you.
The chambermaid, the breakfast host, the guys taking care of the pool area and even the shuffle drivers all really genuinely friendly and offering advice when asked for it. We were given names of great restaurants, bars and things to do in the area. We were driven downtown and picked up by the hotel shuttle.
The rooms are exceptionally clean, plenty of towels and every room has a kitchenette.
They have a breakfast attendant who goes out of their way to brighten the beginning of your day with waffles, cereal, pastries, fruit, juice and coffee.
If your looking for a good place to stay in Albany, NY this is it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Twinstatecritic
Lynsee B, Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words and recognition of our staff! Our staff has a great knowledge of the local area and I'm delighted that they were able to share some of that with you! It is much appreciated that you took the time to tell us about your stay while mentioning each of our departments. I will be sure to communicate all of these great things that you have posted to everyone here at the Marriott TownePlace Suites. Thank you for choosing the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center! We look forward to accommodating your future stays in Albany!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel is an extended stay facility. The amenities are basic and adequate. I used the jacuzzi in the pool area and the Fitness Center. The Fitness Center only has three pieces of equipment. This was okay as it was empty whenever I went to use the treadmill and elliptical machine. The room had a full kitchen with plates, pots, utensils, and even a dish towel. There is also a full refrigerator. This is helpful to have the option to eat healthy meals.

Our room did not get cleaned one day but when we called the front desk in the late afternoon, someone was sent up to clean the room. The front desk staff were chatty with other hotel staff which I am not use to when I travel. The best part of the stay is the "Free Breakfast." Lots of choices of hot and cold food. I brought food back to late risers in my room and staff did not shun taking food and beverages back to the room. Overall, I would stay here again. The price is right, my expectations are realistic as I have stayed here before, and the location works for me.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank racole
Thank you very much for your feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to post about your experience at our property and are glad you were able to utilize the amenities that we have to offer. In regards to your comments on our breakfast, it is great to hear that you thought we had enough choices for both hot and cold items. On behalf of the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, we look forward to accommodating your future stays in Albany!
Carthage, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I were at Albany Medical while our daughter gave birth. We tried to book a room at the Hilton Garden attached to the medical center but they were full. We located TownePlace Suites through Tripadvisor and made a phone reservation. We arrived at 11 p.m. and our check-in was super easy. The night staff is as friendly and helpful as the day staff. The suite was great-comfy bed, huge bathroom, great kitchen and all very clean. If you are visiting at Albany Medical, ask for the hospital rate. The breakfast was super - fresh fruit, juice, waffles, muffins, bagels, cereal, etc. My only complaint the whole time - the coffee was pretty bad. There is a Starbucks right across from Albany Medical so that was an easy fix.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lynsee B, Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Congratulations on the birth of your grandchild! Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center. We are extremely happy that you chose to stay at our property and that you had such a nice experience with our staff as well as your suite. We appreciate your feedback on our coffee, this is definitely an aspect of our property that we will look into enhancing! Hope you have a wonderful holiday season with the new addition to your family! Thank you for choosing the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown!
Pompton Lakes, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I spent 17 nights at this hotel and while I wish that I was in Albany for a better reason I couldn't have asked for a better hotel stay.

Every morning they have a breakfast that includes Oatmeal, cereal, bagels, breakfast bars, milk, juice, coffee etc. There are grab and go bags and containers if you are in a hurry. My favorite part of breakfast was the waffle maker. The breakfast area is very clean and well stocked.

My one bedroom unit was HUGE. Lots of storage and my daughter had a big area to play in.

The hotel is SUPER clean. I have never seen a hotel that was cleaner. The staff were always cleaning and restocking supplies.

My room was always cleaned and my things were never touched.

The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. All of the staff, no matter the hour were always smiling and were very helpful if you needed information.

The hotel has a shuttle bus that takes you around the local area. It was so nice being able to take a shuttle to the grocery store or into downtown Albany.

Complaints
My biggest complaint about the hotel is the fact that it is in Albany and I will most likely never go back. This hotel is very well run and is an example of how things should be done.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor and it was nice and quiet the whole time I was there.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
On behalf of the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, we would like to express our sincere appreciation for the review that you have posted on our property. It's great to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast selection and had the opportunity to utilize our other amenities such as our shuttle! We certainly take great pride in our customer service and your kind words make it all worth while. Thank you for choosing the Marriott TownePlace Suites and sharing your experience with us. We hope to see you back if you do happen to visit Albany in the future!
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

While Marriott may consider its TownPlace Suites as a lesser brand as compared to its signature Marriott hotels, I was pleasantly surprised by the spacious suite and amenities at this downtown Albany hotel. When you see the minimal lobby, you may wonder why you chose this newish property. However, the rooms, designed for longer stays, feature a small kitchen, a rather large living room space with desk work area, comfy couch, easy chair, ottoman and flat screen TV. The good-sized bedroom has a king size bed and another flat screen TV. I found the small bathroom rather awkward and poorly designed. You cannot open the door all the way as it brushed up against the cabinetry under the sink, so a door stop was put in to keep it from marring it. You also won't get fluffy towels. The bathroom is the only room reminder that you are paying more for functionality than luxury.

The small breakfast room was never overcrowded and served a variety of hot and cold cereals, bagels, hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee and tea. There is a small workout area with a couple of treadmills and an elliptical machine, as well as a small pool and whirlpool. The staff were all very pleasant.

While not located in one of Albany's better neighborhoods and facing difficulty getting into and out of the property because of traffic volume blocking the entrance/exit, it is a convenient location for the city's hospitals and a short drive to the area's colleges and the Capitol, with its nearby state office buildings and State Museum, which is quite nice. There are no restaurants in the immediate neighborhood, but you can to several by a short ride and there is a take-out menu in the room.

I used Marriott points to stay here - only 10,000 -- which to me was a much better deal than the $179 room rate that was listed for the room that night. It must have been a busy week in Albany, because many hotels, including the Marriott on Wolf Road in Colonie, were booked solid. For the number of points needed for a free night's stay, this hotel was a bargain.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim M
Lynsee B, Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with a thorough review of our property! We certainly appreciate your feedback and are extremely delighted that you would stay with us again in the future. In regards to your comments on our bathroom area, I do apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you throughout your stay with us. This is definitely an area that we will look into to make the necessary changes so that there is enough space for the door to open all the way. I am glad that you were able to experience the amenities that we offer and that they fulfilled your needs. On behalf of the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, thank you for choosing our property and we look forward to having you back!
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

This was my first stay at a TownePlace property, so i am not sure if all similar brand hotels have the same size room, but i was surprised how large my one bedroom suite was. I had a king bed, and plenty of room in bedroom, plus living/kitchen area was size able as well.

Hotel is very convenient to Medical Center area and Capital District in general. Relatively easy to get to off Rt 87, and close to restaurants that were mostly local type in the area.

I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lynsee B, Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! We're very happy that you found our suite so spacious and that you had plenty of room. We look forward to accommodating your future stays in Albany are glad to hear that we will be seeing you again! Thank you for choosing the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center!
sf
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Impressed. First time at TownePlace and would stay again. Suite is good quality and well appointed. Only exception, not enough storage---need something outside the bathroom (plenty of room for a storage area). And, breakfast was very average--actually, below average. Bump up the breakfast (better healthy selection), dramatically improve coffee quality, and the hotel would deserve a 5 rating.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your response! That's great to hear that you were impressed by our property and that you finally experienced the TownePlace Suites Brand. We certainly appreciate your feedback and will do our best to make the necessary changes so that next time you stay with us we will earn a 5. Thank you for choosing the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, we look forward to accommodating your future stays!