Morgan State House
$137
Hilton.com
  • Pool
$129
CrestHill Suites Albany(Albany)(Great Value!)
$107
$69
Red Roof
$110
Courtyard
All reviewsthe main housewashington parklark streetapartment buildingbed and breakfastdaily grindoff street parkinggated parking lotfourth floorbagelsshort walkwithin walking distancetwo blockssmall kitchenetteno elevatorrestaurants and barschain hotel
Reviewed July 10, 2007

OK - so technically i did not stay here because the State House reservation I made was for two nights to take the NY Bar Exam in Albany (an already stressful proposition). I made my reservation online months in advance and called to confirm my reservation dates because the confirmation email they sent incorrectly stated three nights. Apparently when you're staying for the bar exam they force you to pay for three nights (despite the fact you have to hightail it out of state to take other bar exams on that alleged third day of residency) and failed to mention it when i made my reservations. I spoke to two people on the phone - the Owner of the establishment was even ruder than the front desk person and said basically take it or leave it. I've been studying the law quite a bit and the term "unconsciounable contract" seemed to come to mind, that and an Inn Keeper's duty of care to customers. Bar Exam Applicants Beware of hidden contract clauses and prepare yourself for a fight with the rudest innkeeper you'll ever meet.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
7  Thank MKB77
MorganStateHouse, Owner, Charles Kuhtic at Morgan State House, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2007

The Morgan State House welcomes those taking the Bar exam from around the world. We provide a comfortable and restful environment for them. Our Inn is within a five-minute walk to the test sites, one of the most desired locations in the City.

We maintain a three-night minimum stay policy during the Bar, as do all the hotels in Albany.

The reservation in question was made several months in advance through an online booking service, not with the Inn directly. This reservation for three nights was confirmed via email at the time of the booking. Our first personal contact was a few days prior to arrival, informing us that we were in error.

Since our policy is a three night minimum stay and we had an anxious waiting list, we offered to help find alternative accommodations. This was unacceptable. We were told to cancel the reservation.

It is always unfortunate when there is a misunderstanding.

We will continue to provide the best possible service and environment for all of our guests.

We look forward to your visit.

Reviewed April 6, 2007

I am a little late at writing this review. I stayed here twice while I was in Massage School in Albany. Since I lived 1.5 hours south and the school rarely closed during snow storms, I found a nice room for myself here at the Morgan State House. Both times I stayed at 399 State street. Parking is a bit of a problem with it being a block away in a locked area and walking at night by myself was iffy, even though it appears to be a safe neighborhood. I wish they would park the car for you or have closer parking. My first stay was a queen room, was quite nice and very clean, a little on the hot side for me, but I adjusted by opening the window. The second stay was in a king room with small kitchenette, again, pleasant. The next morning, breakfast was served in the main inn, mostly muffins and coffee, nothing over the top, but enough to get you through till lunch. The homebaked cookies at night were a nice treat. Host was a woman, her name escapes me, she was pleasant and not intrusive. In all of Albany, you would think they would have botique hotels and inns, but in reality, they don't. This is as nice as you are going to get in Albany. Trust me. I have tried many many others.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank Homergirl
Reviewed September 30, 2006

Stayed over one Saturday night. As a header, the B&B does have beautiful woodwork through out and a reflection of the by gone era of luxury and style.

The room, 4B, was a very large room overlooking the garden. Their were two large windows as well as 3 tilted windows/skylights over the main part of the room. The bathroom also had its own large skylight. The shower and bathtub were seperated with the bathtub part of the main room. We did not get a chance to use the bathtub although it looked comfortable for two adults to share.

There was only an inside lock (deadbolt) to the room, and no way to lock the doors when you leave, such as when you visit the city, so you are unable to leave much in the room, without some remote fear of theft, although the attendant did say they never had a theft problem before.

The room offered a gas fireplace, well more like a gas radiant stove rather then a true fireplace. In either case, the fireplace was non-operational. However being the fact the room stayed a chilly 62 degrees the whole day/night, regardless of what the thermostat was set at, possibly the main heat in the building was not turned on yet. It was a dissapointment and seemed as maybe a way to save on utility costs, although the temperature deserved heat.

Many of the lights did not work in the room (desk, shower or outside track lighting). The lighting on the two nightstands, the back light, remaining bathroom lights and chandlier did work though without incident and did provide sufficient lighting.

A call to the "Operator" to address the fireplace and lights was left unanswered with just an answering machine available.

The next morning, breakfast that was served, however it was Continental only, such a dissappointment. We decided to checkout a little early (10:00 - normal time is 11:00) and drive to another local hotel known for quality dining for a warm, cooked to order brunch. Considering this is a bed and breakfast, you would think more then Continental would have been offered.

Otherwise, the ambience was very pleasing, the bed was to die for and the location was very desirable for the local scene. This place does receive its fair share of visitors, and I can only hope that this place has just recently stumbled and is not a reflection of it's overall decline.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank JLewisinSyr
MorganStateHouse, Owner at Morgan State House, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2006

Unfortunately during your stay at The Morgan State House we did not receive any comment or complaint from you and we did not have the opportunity to resolve your complaints.

Reviewed May 30, 2006

The main building (the Morgan State House) is a lovely brownstone, though we ended up staying in the adjacent Washington Park State House. This is really just an apartment building where the hotel has a few rooms. This arrangement is not quite clear from the website and it was rather disconcerting when we checked in after hours and found ourselves alone in the lobby of the building. The "suite," though, was fine, quite large, but really the room is probably more appropriate for a longer term stay. The beds are indeed fantastically comfortable.

The drive to the building goes through a dicey neighborhood and it seems that the immediate area around the park is a small oasis of safety. We used the enclosed parking lot suggested by the hotel and were glad we did.

Dinner at Jack's Oyster House is highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank Daoda
Reviewed March 14, 2006

We stayed for 2 nights. We decided to try their "Romance Special" and we were overly delighted with everything. Champagne was chilling in our room upon our arrival and we felt very pampered from the moment we arrived. We had our own parking spot in a private, gated lot just behind the inn. We had dinner at Jack's Oyster house and that too, was incredible. Be sure to mention that you are coming for the Romance Special and you will have complimentary champagne waiting for you. We were in heaven the entire 2 days. The beds are fantastic (i hear that the owner actually makes them). My husband bought a Morgan State House robe for me as a gift, I can't wait to receive it. They even gave a discount for being a guest. The only complaint of mine is that I wished that the 2 days could have lasted longer. Time flies when you are having fun. The breakfast was great as well.

• Stayed: March 2006