“Not worth it”
Review of Morgan State House

Morgan State House
Ranked #1 of 6 Albany B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed here in September and was utterly disappointed. Agree with many of the reviews before me. I paid a significant amount for this place and was placed in an "annex" building, which was a residential apartment building. Did not feel like a quaint hotel or a bed and breakfast at all, just some crummy apartment. Floors were moldy and the room was terribly cold at night (Albany in September, go figure) with heat that didn't work. In addition, someone was in the hallway at 4 AM on the phone, speaking incredibly loudly.

Definitely agree with prior commentators that the breakfast was pathetic. It screamed Costco breakfast items. Nothing personalized, like a B&B such as Morgan State House should be. But perhaps the most appalling part of the stay was asking the manager/associate of the property which bus line to take to get back to the train station. He had absolutely no idea. While he was nice to check the internet and with friends, he ended up giving me a bus line that either wasn't running that day or didn't exist. I waited over an hour for a particular bus to show up only to realize, in the end, that there was no such bus. Honestly, I would not stay here again. I'm a graduate of one of the top Hotel Schools in the world and I think the lack of knowledge at the Morgan State House was embarrassing. A manager of a property like this should be able to answer guest questions and assist them without causing them to almost miss their train.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Islandmouse
MorganStateHouse, Manager at Morgan State House, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thank you for your suggestions, we have addressed all of the issues. Your input is important to us and will only enhance our guests stay.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I had a lovely visit at the Morgan State House this week. It was a great base to explore Albany! My room was comfortable, and everyone I interacted with was friendly, helpful, and polite. I'm so grateful for the good night's rest! Thanks to all.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This was suggested to me as a good place to stay within walking distance to the NYS Library. What a find! My room was in the "annex" - spotless, very nice size, very well appointed, VERY comfortable bed and sitting area, complimentary Keurig and bottled water, etc. Breakfast was in the B&B a couple of doors down - tea, coffee, yogurt, toastie things, granola - good continental b'fast. Both the "annex" and the B&B had lovely public sitting areas. The annex is in an apartment building, so there are real tenants living there and they were friendly. I couldn't have asked for more. Janine is so welcoming! Definitely easy walking distance to any Capital/Plaza building. Restaurants nearby. It was very quiet. Parking is in a lot behind the B&B - lots of keys, but they're easy to sort out after you use them all once! I will stay here again the next time I'm in Albany - official business or pleasure.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2013

First, I normally don't write something this extensive but wanted to share this. The reason for the late review is I have been busy with business and went back and forth about writing this one at all. My wife and I are seasoned travelers by now and were in Albany for the Altamont Scottish festival in July.We tried to stay there July 20th 2013. We wanted to try something a little more B & B so we went by the ratings of tripadvisor showing The Morgan State House as # 1.We evaluate just about everything by reading tripadvisor and have for the most part found the reviews pretty accurate. Throw out the extremes and read between the lines. This time it was so far off base I'm wondering how the rating system is calculated. We called ahead from the festival about 6:30 pm to let them know we were on the way as it's about a half an hr ride. We couldn't find the building as there is a very tiny sign that was not lit. We drove right by the place and pulled over to call them. The person answering the phone was very indifferent and said just drive around again. We pulled up in front and a man about 22 with longish dark hair came out after we called. He said to double park while we came in to check in even though there was a parking spot right in front on the main street. As we were hoping for off street parking, we did not take the spot. As we were asking him questions he never mentioned the parking situation and we finally had to ask was there off street parking. He literally took 4-5 seconds to respond and with a tone in his voice said yes they have parking behind the building. When I asked where, he again took 4-5 seconds to respond with an attitude to "go around back". At this point we looked at each other and were not getting a good feeling. I decided to go inside first to check in. As we walked into the "lobby" I noticed that there was no lobby or front desk. It looked like somebody's townhouse.As I looked over his shoulder for a desk I noticed two girls on a couch laughing like it was a dorm room. He himself was so lethargic it was almost comical. I asked him if there was a check in desk. The next part has never happened in my 53 years. He abruptly said that he wanted us to leave. I said to him, "what did you say?" He said again I want you to leave. I asked him why and he responded a third time for us to leave with no explanation. We were literally in the building 10 seconds. I was reticent to say this next part but we seriously thought he was on drugs. We left and had to open up tripadvisor again to find another place to stay. Needless to say I wasn't happy. Never even got to stay so can't say anything about the rooms. Don't waste your time. Not what you think from the pictures or explanation. Again, I'm really wondering how this place is # 1 when I've read other reviews that are so so. We stayed at the Quality inn for half the price and was not disappointed. I called back twice and left a message on an answering machine for the manager to call me. Never even got a courtesy call back. And to add salt to the wound, they charged my credit card for not even staying there. I just gave up. Very weird place. Better places to stay for less money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Skibum028
MorganStateHouse, Manager at Morgan State House, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Guest input is very important to us. We are sorry that The Morgan State House was not the right fit for you.

We are unique. To protect the privacy of our guests, we do not have a sign in front of our property. The entire main floor of The Morgan State House is available for our guest’s enjoyment. We do not have a front desk.

Being an urban inn, parking is very precious. That is why we do have a private parking lot available for our guests and will assist them when needed.

No messages were left for management to call this person.

Please check with your credit card company, you were not charged for your stay.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Morgan State House is a fantastic place to stay. So much so that I am planning to return to Albany only in order to stay there again! The staff are very friendly, accomodating, and attentive. The house is beautiful and a relaxing environment is created for its guests. I stayed in one of the studio apartments and couldn't have been happier. It was beautifully decorated with a great view of the park, Rockefeller Center, and the "egg!" A fabulous amenity is the fact that parking is available. And Morgan House is located within walking distance of the capitol and on one of the most beautiful blocks of old brownstone mansions and walk-ups that will take you back in time. An extra delight for any traveler who enjoys architecture.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I was in the 2nd floor park room with the jetted tub and large sitting area with bay windows that is very tastefully decorated and clean. The size of the room was very large. Note - there is no closet for hanging clothes really so that could be challenging for a couple in the area for a wedding type event when you need to hang multiple garments. I was a solo business traveler so the one hanging hook in the bathroom was fine for me. I loved the tub and the bathroom decor.

You can hear noise when someone walks up the stairs and is talking in the hallway, but hey this is a historic house and as long as you expect that then it shouldn't bother you. Very light sleepers may not want to stay in the main house for this reason, but the entire property was full the night I was there and I wasn't bothered by too much noise in the main house. The door to my room itself squeaked a bit.

Breakfast selection was adequate, but no hot dishes like at some B&Bs. However there were more flexible breakfast hours because of the continental style. There is plenty of seating at breakfast with 2 6 person tables and 1 3-4 person table.

The iron didn't work in my room and I couldn't find an ironing board in the room, you probably have to request it.

Location is excellent, especially if you don't have a car because you can walk to restaurants on Lark street, or Central Ave (for cheaper ethnic options).

Please read their policies - late check in you must call ahead to make special arrangements, don't get yourself locked out.

Overall would happily stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Clean, well equipped and convenient our little studio apartment (as it was more than just a room) was a fun alternative to the standard business hotels which seem so abundant. Although the location was convenient, it could be noisy at times. Parking was a bit away, but available and free. There didn't seem to be any air conditioning ( we traveled in October so it wasn't necessary) there was free wifi in the main house and the lobby of our apartment but not in the unit. The main house, where breakfast is served, is beautiful with a rich history and architecture. It's high rating is well deserved, we just found the bed and noise not in keeping with a 5 star rating.

Room Tip: We didn't stay in the main building - some may find this inconvenient because most of the amenit...