“Couldn't praise it enough!”
Review of Morgan State House

Morgan State House
Ranked #1 of 6 Albany B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Couldn't praise it enough!”
Reviewed June 30, 2008

The Morgan State House was excellent! The people running the place were all extremely friendly. Special thanks to Janine (who greated us with friendly smiles every morning and offered warm eggs and just went all out to make us feel comfortable) and to Chuck (did I get your name right? who drove us to the train station so that we could catch the next train out) and last but not least, to Bobby (again, did I get your name right? I'm terrible with names. who was very helpful in teaching us how to operate the air conditioner, gave us much confidence in the cleanliness of the room by taking off his shoes before stepping on the carpet, told us about yummy thai and Indian restaurants, and gave us directions to all the other places we wanted to go to. Oh and for being so so smart as to guess my nationality right on first try!) .

The suite itself was spotlessly clean and very comfortable, equiped with everything we need - full kitchen (complete with dishwasher even!), couch, tv, very soft and fluffy bed and duvet. Location, facing the Washington Park is again, perfect and within walking distance to the Empire State Building, which I believe is one of the main reasons why people go to Albany.

Morgan State House is simply charming, do try it for yourself!

• Liked — The charming furnishings
  • Disliked — Slight confusion at check-in - staff were underground and we didn't know where to locate them
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed June 30, 2008

Our stay at the Morgan State House was wonderful. I was in town to be sworn-in to the NY bar and all of the other chain hotels were booked. I found Morgan State House on Frommer's and decided to try it. I thought a charming bed and breakfast would be a nice retreat while staying in Albany. I definitely was not disappointed. We stayed in the king suite, 4B, which is absolutely beautiful. The skylights and sunken tub really make the room. The bathroom and room were spotless, all of the staff members were very helpful and very professional. I can't say that I'm in love with Albany the city, but if I ever find myself in need of a hotel in the area, the Morgan State House will be my first choice.

• Liked — The house is absolutely beautiful...very peaceful and relaxing.
  • Disliked — The internet access was intermittent.
New York, NY
Reviewed June 24, 2008

This was my second stay with the Morgan State House, but the first in the main house. The suites are exquisite. My personal favorite was the down beds. I don't think I have slept so well in ages. The location is perfect, a close walk to the capitol (and to some lively restaurants and nightlife). I highly recommend the Morgan State House.

New York
Reviewed June 5, 2008

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at this gorgeous bed and breakfast in a beautiful historic brownstone with a lovely garden. The king suite is sublime with its skylights, incredibly comfortable bed and big bathtub. I needed pampering and I got it here. The staff is friendly and accomodating and the breakfast was peaceful and yummy. Just enough. Great coffee! We will stay here again the next time we are in Albany -- why stay anywhere else? Across from a park, near all the restaurants, near the Capitol. Perfect in every way.

• Liked — That it was an historic brownstone and that it was quiet, peaceful and extremely beautiful.
  • Disliked — There wasn't anything I did not like about this place. Everything was great.
Glen Cove
Reviewed June 4, 2008

I travel to Albany for work on a regulr basis so I was thrilled to find this B&B in a nice quite part of town. I have been going for almost 2 years and I consider it "my place" I drive from NYC and park on the street parking or in a gated lot .
I can walk to some of the best restaurants around and take a stroll in the park after dinner.
I stay in the apartment building because I like to be independent but I go to the brownstone for breakfast. ( a few houses down the street ).Sometimes I bring some fruit & a muffin up to the apartment so that I can eat there. Both buildings are comfortable and friendly and a wonderful B & B experience. The apartment has all the amenities that I need for a "portable office" and if I need a break there are passes to the Y around the corner.
Compared to the Hotels in town it is the cleanest, friendliest,most comfortable place around and the best value for the money.
Check it out on their website.
Enjoy!

• Liked — Clean & comfortable, location
  • Disliked — carrying keys & being responsible for own security
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 4, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Morgan State House earlier this year
to visit my family in Albany and we really loved the place. The only thing I would mention when booking is that the Washington Park State House @ 399 State St. is an actual condo building a couple of doors down from the actual B&B. I didn't mind staying at the building since we needed a kitchenette to cook our own food. For a more B&B experience make sure you book the 393 State Street location, the rooms are really beautiful and pristine!

The staff was also so nice and the location is right across the street from Washington State Park which is "The Park" in Albany and just wonderful especially during the Tulip Festival which marks the start of Spring in Albany.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Not only is the Morgan State House a jewel but so is this neighborhood! I loved being so close to a nice park (complete with summer-like weather when I was visiting) and near to so many good restaurants and shops. A nice place to take a stroll. Having a safe place to park my car was another nice feature but best of all is this lovely old home. The wooden stairs, complete with creaks, are gorgeous and my room was comfortable and spacious. I enjoyed my breakfast and was pleased to learn that I could visit the kitchen at any time during my stay, a bonus for me as I am diabetic and could need emergency food in the wee hours of the morning. The staff I met were delightful and helpful. The Morgan State House is my cup of tea (and the coffee was good too.)
Annie

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business