“Albany's Urban Hidden Treasure "The Morgan State House"”
Review of Morgan State House

Morgan State House
Ranked #1 of 6 Albany B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 21, 2008

My husband and I just returned from our home away from home "The Morgan State House".

My husband had a business function to attend and convinced me to travel with him. Little did I know that he made plans to also celebrate my birthday a few days in advance at the beautiful Historic Morgan State House.

During our much too short stay (1 night); the staff went beyond the call of duty to provide a superior level of service. We were simply overwhelmed by the amazing wood artisanship that went into designing and restoring this 19th century townhouse mansion.

I am a stickler for details and comfort, especially as it relates to linen and bedding. This little jewel exceeded my expectations and passed my high standard of comfort with flying colors. I can best describe my slumber as "sleeping on a cloud". The pillows were plush with just the right amount of feather down and the feather mattress with its incredible high thread count (cotton) sheets /one ply provided a heavenly sleep. The beautiful wood custom headboard provided a nice touch.

The bathroom displayed beautiful tile work and the hunter douglas oversized blinds were a nice touch to the large bathroom window. We stayed in room 3B with the garden view.

My husband later informed me of how the staff assisted him in the coordination of having an organic birthday cake specially prepared for me (It was unsinnfully delicious). We also toasted to a great non-alcoholic wine recommended by owner of Morgan State House "Chuck".

Upon returning late to the Morgan House Saturday night, my husband and I were exhausted; however the aroma of breakfast quickly awakened us - Sunday morning. We arrived down-stairs closer towards the end of breakfast. By this time break-fast was all gone as it was catered via the bakery that prepared my awesome birthday cake. Please note that the caterer/bakery prepares everything from scratch. DILEMMA SOLVED - The owner "Chuck" himself asked my husband and I what we would like to have for breakfast and he prepared it fresh on the spot for us. We were in awe because he was committed to accommodate us and was so gracious. We were so impressed with his breakfast presentation that we asked Chuck if he was a chief as well! - He laughed!

The French omelets with cheddar cheese, half- &-half, water, chives, fresh peppers and tomatoes w wheat toast/toasted bagels/ strawberry preserves/O.J and wonderful coffee were outstanding. Breakfast was served on the patio during that beautiful day with just a slight spring breeze in the air. Chuck truly is a first class connoisseur of delivering unparallel service. Thank's Chuck for the recipe and extending the red carpet treatment towards us by personally preparing an awesome breakfast. Your French omelets rank high compared to (Momma's) notorious French omelets and were the best that I have eaten compared to many B&B's and luxury resorts that my husband and I have stayed at over the years.

This is truly a compliment coming from me as I am extremely finicky.

Petra "what a darling" she is a wonderful asset to the Morgan State House, and provided us with some amazing history
On the State House, not mentioned on the web site. Petra also provided a wealth of information about the whole area and made great dining suggestions. Although we did not meet Robin, we would like to thank Robin also for her behind the scenes involvement to ensure our wonderful stay

The only recommendation that we have would be to install individual climate controls to the rooms to adjust a/c-airflow. We were fortunate because the evening temperatures dropped to accommodate an ideal slumber environment as there was a wonderful breeze with the windows open.

During our stay, we really felt like being home away from home and although contradictory being transported back into a grand nostalgic time as well.

We would highly recommend this jewel B&B to anyone who savors quaint charm and details to personal service. Also, make it a point to take a stroll through the scenic Washington Park conveniently located across the street from the state mansion.

Thank you Morgan State House for a Memorable Time!

We will return again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Morgan State House

Reviewed April 19, 2008

I first came to stay at the Morgan State House when visiting family who live in the area. What a wonderful, hidden treasure this bed and breakfast is! Its location is convenient; the rooms are lovely; and, most important, the staff can always be counted on to provide excellent service. I love the details in the rooms, and I have stayed in many. The Morgan State House has lovingly maintained the look of the 19th century while integrating those “modern” features we have come to expect when we travel (i.e. internet access). Then there are the breakfasts and snacks one can always find throughout the day. What more could one ask? I highly suggest that the next time you are in Albany, NY, you stay at the Morgan State House!

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed April 1, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised. This is a stately old building with a number of different rooms and then some rooms on the floor of another building, a condominium. The buildings are adjacent to a park and the living room and commons area are very evocative of olden times.

The condo I stayed in was a little lonely; there is no doorman, but the room and bed were spacious and instructions very clear.

I would recommend this highly.

Dr. Krueger

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 25, 2008

WOW Once again...a wonderful visit to the STATE HOUSE in ALBANY NY. I thought maybe I was in luck the 1st and 2nd time I stayed there but have to say again that the experience was even better than before. The rooms are 100% comfortable, the staff is wonderful, and the breakfast and full service 24 hour kitchen is a HUGE bonus. It is home away from home......much better than a hotel and better than a friends spare bed room too!
I suggest anyone who is visiting Albany and wants an excellent place to feel at home, right across from the park to check out THE STATE HOUSE.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I have stayed at the Morgan State House 2 or 3 times now, and have enjoyed my every visit. It has several things going for it. One, the setting of the State House is very scenic, right on the park. Two, the State House is very homey, and the service is very friendly. I especially like the kitchen in the main house where you will always find nice treats such as home-made cookies out on the counter. Three, the rates are very reasonable. One minor concern for business travelers is that wifi is not available in all the rooms. However, all in all I think this is a great spot, and I would recommend it for your next visit to Albany.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 8, 2008

Everything about the Morgan State House's accommodations were wonderful and I definitely intend on staying there again on any return trips to Albany. My fellow traveler and I appreciated the "home-y" feel and the casual, friendly demeanor of the staff- They were exceedingly (genuinely!) hospitable and probably the friendliest (chattiest) I have ever encountered in my travels, ever. Upon your arrival they will provide you with a key to the establishment (along with your key to your room) and a phone number that you can call if you need anything after 5 when the staff goes home. FYI- the house key can be a little troublesome which can create problems when it's -2 degrees outside, snowing, and you're returning from a nice dinner but you can't get inside, let alone lock the door after you once you do get inside. When this happened to us we just called the number provided and a friendly member of the staff was there in 1 minute (literally) to assist us. Also (obviously) there isn't an elevator so I wouldn't suggest staying here if you have a problem with stairs.

The room was surprisingly spacious and the bed was extraordinarily comfortable (I believe the beds, plush mattresses, and their accompanying sheets are actually considered to be one of the main points for celebration in the establishment). For honesty's sake it is important to note that I think my companion and I were in the nicest "deluxe" room (the larger of the two rooms on the fourth floor with a HUGE bathtub and separate walk-in shower with a skylight) and from the brief glimpses I had of the other rooms they were considerably smaller than our accommodations were.

Breakfast in the morning leaves a little to be desired but was ideal for those that are more on-the-go. For the two days that we were there it consisted of coffee, orange juice, tea, fruit, boiled eggs, bagels, and English muffins. The kitchen has a refrigerator that is always full of these same items as well as few others that you can help yourself to throughout the day/night.

One last thing- the location is fantastic. Still, the cold weather meant that most of my sightseeing was done from the comfort of a taxi.

Personally, I prefer not to stay in huge hotels that lack originality or warmth and the Morgan State House reminds me of my own house- vintage, comfortable, and inviting.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank charlegirl
Reviewed March 5, 2008

During our most recent stay at the Morgan State House, i actually proposed to my girlfriend and she said "yes." Our room (4B in the guest house) was absolutely amazing in every way. The room definately had a romantic feel, which helped the proposal for sure. From the large soaking tub to the amazing skylights and fireplace and of course the huge, comfortable bed, everything was perfect!
We had stayed in room 501 (next door in the Washington Park State House) last year as a little getaway and fell in love with the Morgan State House. This time was no different, just a chance for the two of us to get away for a night. Little did my girlfriend know that it would be the night i proposed to her. Earlier in the day we had in-room massages, which were so relaxing and definately recommended!
Our two stays at the State House have been absolutely incredible. The staff is always so pleasant and helpful and gave us great restaurant advise.
Because of our great experiences with the State House, my fiancee and i plan to stay there anytime we are visiting the Albany area. I would stay there over a hotel anyday, hands down.
From my experiences, i would highly recommend anyone to stay at the Morgan State House when staying in the Capitol region.

Michael S.