“Always Happy”

DP An American Brasserie
Reserve with OpenTable
DP An American Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 683 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Sheridan Ave
Albany, New York
“Always Happy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I head to DP frequently and have never had a bad experience. In fact I always have a great one. I don't typically write reviews until after I have been somewhere a few times because any place can have an off night. I have been to DP many times and I never had a bad experience. Just the last time we were their my wife and I realized that we always forget it is in a hotel. I used to travel for work and I never wanted to eat at the hotel bar or restaurant. DP is the one hotel bar and restaurant I would be psyched to find below my room for the night! The staff is always accommodating, they remember what you like, recall conversations, and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. There are so many good dishes on the menu, the hot appetizers are all awesome! On the new menu they have the best burger building set up I have ever seen. You can create one heck of a burger on that menu! It is as nice environment and somehow manages to accomplish a very classy look without attracting the stuffy downtown crowd. I ONLY go downtown for DP. I can walk in wearing jeans and a polo and feel just as comfortable as I would if I had on a suit. I can get great drinks and wines and they have a top shelf selection of beers. I never get a bad dish and am always served with a smile. I see no reason to go anywhere else if I am downtown. Like I said, any place you go from white table cloth to fast food can have a good day and a bad day. It is the sustained higher lever of service that I reserve 5 stars for and DP has earned that. As for price, I would put them between $$ and $$$. I put three because it is closer to that than a two.

2 Thank Chris W

Albany, NY
“Very good food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have eaten there several times with my family. Nice atmosphere, huge windows that allow you to see outdoors, pleasant lighting and excellent service. Staff always look great.The food is very good and the menu is a bit upscale, as well as varied in culinary cuisines - a touch of Indonesian, American, Chinese, among others. The variety of dishes is overall very nice. Prices are reasonable.
It is a tad on the noisy side if the place is full, especially if the bar is busy with patrons. I think they could cordon off the dining area a bit from the bar area with some kind of structure, or minimal fixtures, to give the diner a great sense of privacy. And the beers on tap could use a few changes, too few standard brews. But a very nice place overall.

2 Thank Cassiopian
“what's happened?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Some friends and I recently dined at DP's prior to taking in a show at Capital Repertory Theater. Curtain was at 8:00 PM so I figured that if we we were seated by 6:30 we'd be in good shape to dine and get to the theater ( right across the street) on time. The restaurant was busy, but not packed and we were seated immediately....but then things started to unravel. We notified our server that we were going to the show upon being seated...she assured us that we had plenty of time for our meal. We ordered our food at the same time we ordered our cocktails. The cocktails arrived promptly.... but we waited, and waited and waited for the food. Nearly an hour later we were served cold overcooked Kobe sliders and burgers, with cold soggy french fries. The Burgers that we ordered medium rare were like hockey pucks, accompanied by a tired salad drenched in salad dressing that clearly looked plated earlier in the day . With no time to send the food back, and no time to eat the sub standard food, we left in a hurry dissatisfied and frustrated with the overall experience. This is actually the second time in recent months that this has happened here. I thought that the first time was just bad luck. Now I see a pattern . This distresses me, because the food used to be good. What's happening in the kitchen DP's? DP's is in a perfect location with close proximity to the theater. I would think that they would take advantage of this by offering a pre- theater menu that guarantees good quality promptly served food. Restaurants in NYC in the theater district already know how important this pre-theater dining experience is...I'm hoping that some positive changes can be made here in Albany.

2 Thank jcat1
Allentown, PA
“Great food, good service and friendly manager!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

My family and I agree that the mini pretzels and mustard are fantastic (available only at dinner because the baker does not arrive until 4:00 p.m., so that means they're freshly baked!). They're a great alternative to rolls and butter while you're awaiting your meal.

The food was wonderful in general. I had the special red snapper at dinner and again (prepared differently) the next day at lunch. Yes, we returned to the restaurant the next day because the restaurant was so good (and we were at the Hampton Inn next door). The sweet potato casserole was amazing, and the sweet potato fries were great, also.

Service was good, the atmosphere was pleasant, and the manager was very friendly and informative. We enjoyed talking with him.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank dsgs
Vancouver, Canada
“Expectations met and exceeded!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

The pretzels and dijon mustard are amazing! Had the Chikcen Indonesian salad that had a terrific peanut dressing and the banana bread pudding for dessert which was also very tasty.

Visited June 2012