“Very poor business sense, loud, food just ok”

Hana Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Hana Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 687 Restaurants in Albany
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: CDTA Bus Transit conveniently located right on Western Ave.
Slingerlands, New York
“Very poor business sense, loud, food just ok”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I ordered about $175 in takeout food for my daughter's birthday.
I brought a coupon with me that was worth about $16.
Nowhere on the coupon does it say that it is not good for takeout.
This came out of a book of coupons that is about 500 pages in size - Entertainment Book.
First of all they have to get the owner of the restaurant to ring in the coupon - the staff is not allowed to -seriously? The owner has to check every coupon?
She finally came and pulled out a big binder, she spent a good 5-10 minutes looking through it while I stood there and waited. As we were waiting we watched 3 different young children just running all over the place - through the bar, around the tables, etc.

Finally she brought a page over to me to show me the coupon I had was not good for takeout. She acknowledged that it doesn't say that anywhere on the coupon itself - you have to find the page she was showing me from somewhere else in the book.
I suggested that with such a large order and the fact that the coupon doesn't have any restrictions printed on it -she should still as good business accept it.
Of course she did not.
Of course we will not be going back.

On our way out, one of the children dropped a whole container of food on the floor and we had to leave by a different door.
Food was really just mediocre for the price. No hibachi sauces were included for our two hibachi meals. Only one small serving of rice for 6 meals purchased. Fed 4 adults and 2 children, 3 of us felt ill the next day.
Go at your own risk.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank phdmom3

West Palm Beach, Florida
“Great Meal!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Very nice selection of old favorites as well as some of their own combinations. Good beer selection and very personable staff.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank basenjidave
Schenectady, New York
“Another family favorite!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

The food here is so fresh and completely satisfying. It's wonderful to find a different type of restaurant that my whole family loves.

• Visited September 2013
Georgetown, Texas
“Wonderful sushi rolls, but, oh, the noise”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Based strictly on the food, this place is tops for sushi and rolls. Our hamachi was tender and generous in size. The two rolls we ordered were superb and very large. We did not leave hungry. The downside? The noise. The format is part sushi restaurant, part Japanese steakhouse, and part sports bar (apparently). This is not the place for a quiet dinner if the bar crowd is at all active.

Visited September 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Fun Japanese Steak house...like Benihana's”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Great looking place inside and the staff were helpful and friendly. The place was packed. They cook on the giant Hibachi (sort of like a diner's giant flat grill that they do eggs etc on). And the cook at the table sort of does a show with his knives and forks as he cooks. Kind of corny and cheesy. But... it's something to look at. Food was good. Not outstanding in any way, but it was good. And the price was decent. $26 for two meat/fish items with vegetables and rice or noodles. It was a lot of food. A good place to take a bunch of friends since 8 people sit around the hibachi (some will be strangers to you unless you're a party of 8). Would I go back? Probably not. Was I sorry I went? No...it was a decent time.

• Visited September 2013

Been to Hana Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar? Share your experiences!