“Curieuse Island dirty environment”
Review of Curieuse Island

Curieuse Island
More attraction details
Owner description: This island is strictly protected to allow Giant tortoises to prosper.
Reviewed May 13, 2014

On my last trip to Praslin, I went back to Curieuse that I liked so much 10 years ago. On arrival I was welcome by a warden who before saying hello indicated where we had to pay the 200 seychelles rupees as landing fee. Fare enough as we all said it was for the up keeping of the national park. My friends and I were shocked to find that all tourist were now parked in a BBQ area fenced in such a way you could not see the beach and the sea. We decide to stay out and use a pick nick table outside the fenced area... the sand was littered with cigarette butts and beer bottle caps all around us.

After checking around we all agreed that the place was in need of better management. It looked like a ward filled with damaged boats from the "Seychelles National Park Authority", with empty plastic bottle of engine oil, rusted drums, dangerous for kids. Things did not improved as we went further in land. Plastic bags littered all over, cut branches from trees laying in dangerous positions everywhere.

It looked like a dump. The friends I took there were deceived as It was their first visit to the island. We did not expect this on an island manage by the National Park Authority. The week prior to this trip, we all visited Sister island that was pristine and clean. And there were not an army of wardens all around us.

Perhaps the people in charge from the head office in Mahe should have a closer look at what is happening on Curieuse before it is too late.

I have been visiting Seychelles for the past 25 years. Perhaps this might be my last visit as I will look for places were the environment does not deteriorate so fast.

Alec B.

10  Thank Alec B

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This small Island close to Praslin is full of stuff for Nature lovers. The land toirtoises runs free and it heavily protected by park rangers. Safe to swim all year round. Lots of daily boat excursions inclusive of snorkeling and BBQ on the beach. A real treat for families and couples.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We went in January 2013 NOT March but i just found the opportunity to rate and review and march was the last option.

This trip is worth every penny and such a great way to spend your time (in my opinion) :)

Once you are ion the island you have a couple of hours to see, stroke and talk to the giant Tortoise (if you do talk to them please dont let anyone see :) ) After that there is about a half hour walk, with plenty to observe to the other side of the island where Our BBQ was served. The beach and water there is exceptional! Once you depart the island the guide should take you snorkelling, again, well worth it! and good snorkelling to be had if he takes you to the same little island we went. Admittedly snorkelling is not so good in the Seychelles but this place was the best for me.

Enjoy!!!!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Must do in Praslin! Hire a boat and head there to see the giant turtles and barbecue on the wonderful beach!

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We did a trip to Curiuse island and snorkeling at St Pierre. We were very pleased with the trip and service we received from Corsairs boat charter. It was only me and my husband. They droped us off at the side of the island where the turtles were. We got to walk around and talk to the staff and look at the turtles. There was a 10 day old baby turtle. Then we had a hike to the other side of the island through the mangrove forest. It was warm but well worth it. We saw lots of funny crabs of different types. The hike ended at the doctor’s house and a lovely beach. There was a barbeque set up for us and cold drinks. It tasted delicious (three different kinds of fresh fish, chicken, rice and different sallads, just for two persons!!!). It was great with a dip in the turquoise waters after the long hike. I recommend starting the trip at the turtles and ending at the doctor’s house since the beach there is beautiful and it is nice to take a swim after the hike and the environment is nicer there than at the turtle side.