“You can see the real coco de mer”
Review of Praslin Museum

Praslin Museum
Maputo, Mozambique
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“You can see the real coco de mer”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Praslin Museum is located on the second largest island of Seychelles, Praslin Island. Its a little museum with smal shops were you can buy some sovenirs. The fee is expensive but you really can go on the bush walk and see the natural palm threes, the fruit bats, the turtles and of couse the real coco de mer. The staff was nice and friendly. It was a nice walk with lots of history from the Seychelles.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Andrea S

• Polish first
Pretoria, South Africa
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Museum what museum?”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stopped over at the "Praslin Museum" to experince some heritage. We got out of our car next to an old house and three cages. In these cages were bats, guinnea pigs and tortoises. A man approached us and demanded we pay R180 so view these animals, we said that we were there to see the museum he then demanded the money again and said that the three cages were the museum. We expalined that we did not wish to see the animal park but rather the museum. The house next door was a guest house and not a museum in the end. Avoid dissapointment and drive past the museum, which it isn't.

Visited September 2013
5 Thank Uwe H
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fruit Bats are the main attraction”
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I was really exited to go to visit the museum and I made a special day to go and do so. I arrive at 2:30 and has been told that the guided tour starts at 3:00 . I decided to wait and sit on the one of the comfortable seats. I have been given a glass of orange juice, passion fruit and a few bananas while I wait. This was very nice gesture. The young lady inform me that the tour starts at 3:00 and ticket cost 180 rupees ( almost £10) and include a glass of juice. At about 2:50 a man arrive in the car which is happened to be the guide. I was the only person on the quid end tour, and the gentlemen took around with the speed of light. By 3:00 I was done. First we went to see the fruit bats which was the highlight of the place. The men give them a little banana and when I ask if I can feed then, he told me its to late now and we should move on. Next we see the giant turtles which are everywhere to be seen on the island and then with a speed of light we went thru all medical plants which I have been given a lil story about each one. The were also a few pic hanging around to see, but they were really old and bad quality. While asked about chameleons and black parrots which were highlighted to see there, the tour guide stated that a few month back they were removed from the side. So the main attraction was the bats really, not really worth it the price.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank JoannaMic
NY
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“ho-hum”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

this little museum has potential. if only more time was spent on organizing it further. the staff were very nice and knowledgeable, but it is somewhat of a racket at $15 US/person. the highlight was feeding the fruit bats.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank helua
The Netherlands
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Very expensive”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

You're told a lot about medicinal plants and live on the Seychelles. You can feed a fruitbat. But it's terribly expensive (do negotiate on the price). There are no kameleons or black parrots. You pay 10 times the price of a normal state-owned museum.

Visited August 2012