Coming from La Digue to Mahe was in a way disappointing. Hectic traffic (compared to almost only bicycles at La DIgue), reckless driving, but strangely we saw no accidents. In the taxi to la Residence apartments we decided to move with a taxi or by bus- no rent a car.
The building with the apartments , at la Mouche bay- nice looking but not a swimming or snorkeling place, has a nice view and garden.The first apartment was big, nice view. The furniture was more of a picked here and there, no style, the gas stove was very old, the kitchen knives were missing ( my swiss knife helped). the air condition broke down in the evening,it was hot - first floor. We could not sleep.Fortunately, there was an apartment free downstairs, so we insisted to move . The apartment was better looking, but the lightning in both was neon tubes, simple lamps and really annoying. The kitchen ware was really basic, we had to snitch the toaster from the upper apartment, there was none.The electric sockets, half of them was broken, had to plug, unplug other stuff, for charging my underwater gear.
The apartments were clean, the staff friendly.
Walking from the apartments to the restaurant and the shop (10-15 min. one way) is not pleasant at night, even with a torch, you have to walk on the road.
There is the night guard, the drug use and traffic are on the rise in Mahe.Do not leave anything important on the beach is the current advice they give you, but we had no problems.
We stayed 5 days.
The best spots nearby for swimming, snorkeling and free diving were Anse Soleil- go left as far as you can, and Port Lunay- left, surprisingly good coral,better than La Digue,tame fish, the visibility was average- 4-8 metres, in Port Lunay even only 2 metres.Anse Royale was below average..At La Digue visibility was somewhat better.Still we saw the three spotted angelfish at Anse Soleil, and big brain corals and juvenile fish at port Lunay.
The buses are cheap. on time,they go every hour or so, the last ones in the afternoon are very crowded
Thanks to Pascal Libanotis, our taxi driver, who brought us and picked us everywhere on time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the magnificent bay of Anse la Mouche is La Residence with nearby attractions such as snorkeling, diving, deep sea and fly fishing. Each villas has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, fully equipped kitchenettes, and terraces with views of the bay. All bedrooms have overhead fans and some have air conditioning. Daily cleaning services and house linens provided. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Residence Hotel Mahe Island
- La Residence Seychelles/Mahe Island