“It was magical”

Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Mahe Island
Toronto, ON
“It was magical”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

The resort itself is gorgeous and sprawling and was operating at full capacity upon our arrival. All in all, the service is glitchy as mentioned in other reviews, but the property and overall experience was so great that we felt it far outweighed the mistakes of inexperienced staff.

Check in/Check out
Both check in and check out took some amount of time. We arrived at the South side but found out after being shuttled to two different reception spots that we were upgraded to the North side, and then had to take a buggy to the North side where we met with someone to take us to our room. All the shuttling around took up quite some time. For check out, we settled our bill the night before our departure because we had a very early morning flight. After dinner we walked over to reception to find the two receptionists overwhelmed with guests doing the same. After waiting in line, we found out the dinner we had just finished had not been posted to their system yet, so we had to wait for it to show up. When it finally got updated, our bill that had no mistakes on it (yay!) was processed in the wrong currency (boo!) so we had to watch the poor flustered guy go through all his paperwork twice. It probably took us about forty minutes in total to settle our bill. We didn't really mind so much, but we could see some couples were pissed about the wait.

The Room
Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. If you have any complaints about the room itself, you are totally mental. Bedding was high quality & super comfortable. It was easy to completely block out the light from the windows if you wanted to sleep in. The TV system was verrrry sophisticated! On top of regular TV channels, all of the hotel information you needed could be accessed through the TV, there were on-demand movies, and it even had internet (albeit slow internet) and computer capabilites, as each room includes a wireless keyboard. Someone somewhere said it was difficult to use but I personally didn't find it difficult at all. The bathrooms are well designed and beautiful. This is going to sound strange, but we enjoyed our time in the bathroom immensely and hubster was so excited about it that he took a lot pictures of it before we left so he could remember all the details, including the types of tiling they used.

The Food
The half board menu includes breakfast and dinner, but not drinks. breakfast ends at 10:30am and dinner begins at 7pm, so no chance of eating a late breakfast and holding out till dinner, cheapskates. From one cheapskate to another, expect to spend about $100USD per day per couple for lunch and drinks with your dinner; chances are the quality of the food will impress you so much that you won't be too sore about the bill. We really didn't have one bad thing to say about anything we ate at any point on the resort. Nothing was cold, nothing was bad, it was all tremendously good, and I have to say that the service at mealtimes was very attentive but not intrusive. Yes, drinks are expensive. a Long Island Iced tea was $16USD. A large bottle of Perrier was $16USD. If you know going in, you can buy duty free alcohol, or like us, you can do that and just end up paying for it anyway at your meals because fudge it - you don't wanna drink in your room the whole time. We booked each a la carte dinner the first evening we arrived, which the hotel recommends you do as they fill up. On our last night we had the lobster dinner at Helios where a couple of guitar players came by and serenaded us under the stars. Like I said! It was magical!!

The Grounds
Fantastic, as I said before. North side has some barren parts that need to mature, but overall it's very pretty. We spent most of our time on the north side in the ocean. the north beach is really one of the most awesome beaches you could find anywhere. It's a beauitful white sand beach in a very calm bay enclosed by rolling low mountains and hills - and to top it off, it has some wonderful underwater life to look at. Anyone who complains there wasn't much to see probably didn't hit the right spots in the water. Go beyond the rocks with the cross atop it, somewhat towards the center and the underwater geography will change from murky water with seaweed to clear water with oodles of coral, schools of fish, turtles, and lots more. One lucky couple even saw dolphins out there! Ask the recreation staff for advice on where to swim and they will be happy to direct you. The resort is built on property that used to be part of a protected park, so locals sometimes show up on the beach on the weekends or at night. I think some people might find it a bit jarring to see this, but my husband and I just kind of felt sorry about the whole situation, that a beautiful beach and water that used to be theirs was now taken over by a big corporation. The beach never feels too crowded, but the loungers do fill up, so be prepared for the towel game. Just a tip, for those with 'sweet blood' you might want to bring mosquito repellant to your dinners.

Recreation
We paid the extortionary fees for diving - I think it was about $240USD for a Discovery Dive and $60USD for the snorkelling. They basically just take you to the next bay and drop you off there for an hour. I had a great time snorkelling though, as one of the staff, Alex, took my by the hand and showed me all kinds of beautiful stuff, diving down to pick up anything that could be touched to show me...it was really fantastic - and my hubby says the dive staff was extremely professional, and was excited to be able to see sharks on his first dive ever. The activity schedule posted on the TV is fun and we didn't have trouble getting into the stuff we wanted to do by just showing up, but they recommend that you call and book in advance just in case the spaces fill up. We accompanied Dominic on the intermediate mountain bike ride, which really was intermediate. I can tell you that because I was a beginner (how do these gears work? why is my bike making that sound? My bike is broken. It's not? Are you sure?) and had to do a lot of sweaty walking up the hills, but it was good fun, especially with an encouraging guide and other relaxed bikers. We also managed to fit in some yoga, which I could not keep a straight face for, but it was great, and again very relaxed. All the recreation staff seemed tuned into the pace and made our experiences fun and memorable - they will make you feel like a hero.

Housekeeping
On the whole we didn't have complaints, but it's true they do come in for turn down service at very different times. We did have one incident where I was trying to track down clean beach towels so we could visit the pool at the spa because we had been caught in the rain earlier in the day. I asked reception if the spa would have towels for us but they skirted the question and instead told me they would have housekeeping send beach towels. Twenty minutes later, no towels, and I rung again. I left for a bit and came back, and still no towels. Finally I walked to reception and asked them, listen, can you just tell me where it is on the resort where they have beach towels and I can go get them myself? I followed the reception lady out to the beach where she said there should be staff with towels but she seemed confused that they weren't there. Then by chance a cart came by with stacks and stacks of beach towels on it. By that time I wanted four of them so I would never have to ask for another beach towel again. They refused to give me four towels and gave me only two, and with that I stormed off clutching the precious beach towels, while my husband spotted housekeeping arriving at our door with...you guessed it...four beach towels. Ha ha...it turns out they had heard the wrong room number and kept going to the wrong room to exchange towels. Then, when we arrived at the spa, we found out towels were readily available there. And later when we were walking inland towards Cayenne restaurant, we passed two beach towel stations that were positioned out of view of the beach close to the reception area. Live and learn. On the upside, management sent us a nice bottle of Champagne to compensate for the whole fiasco, which sincerely did make up for the time I spent screaming into my hands.

Buggies
Just. Wait. For. The. Buggy. If you don't wait and decide to do the walk from the north side to the south or vice versa, you will watch buggy after buggy full of people (i.e. no room to stop and pick you up) pass you on the way to your destination while you get all sweaty and aggravated.

Business Center
What business center?? Internet is slow everywhere on the resort and beware that it's all Apple-based. They didn't have any adapters for the three-prong north american computer plug.

Transportation
For those that did not book through a package, we spent 500 rupees on our trip from the jetty to the resort, and liked the cab driver so much that we got his number and spent 600 rupees with him to take us from the resort to the airport. We flew out to Praslin on Air Seychelles on our first day in the Seychelles, and it was a very pleasant, easy experience. We took the Cat Cocos boat back from Praslin to Mahe and it was the opposite. Make sure you get on the upper deck if you use the boat, the main (bottom) deck gets extremely stuffy and can be rocky. Be prepared to fight for your luggage at the dock.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank orchidthief88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Mahe Island, Seychelles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2010

Me and my boyfriend spent only a week at Constance Ephelia Seychelles and it was absolutely perfect - the resort is spacious and with an exceptional design of luxury amidst nature. The service was excellent, we were apsolutely spoiled there, staff are very attentive and hygiene is immaculate. French and Asian and International cuisine, wild choice, superb quality.
Definitely would recommend a visit to the spa center as well. Gym and tennis facilities. Equipment for snorkelling and canoeing is free, and there is so much to see underwater. Rented a car for a day to go round the island, to Victoria for souvenirs and discover all the postcard-like beaches along the coast.
Island hopping trip is expensive but definitely worth it.
All in all, I strongly recomment a vacance to the Seychelles Constance Ephelia, a really magical place, 100% zen!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank seychellesforever
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

We booked 12 nights after seeing the opening offer, but was slightly disappointed to find other countries getting much cheaper deals. However the location is absolutely beautiful. The north beach is a sight to behold as you walk towards it along a sand path through bushes, trees and ferns you see what appears to be a lovely blue green lake, but is in fact an almost closed bay.
The junior suite had a definite wow factor, and a lovely bathroom. We had interconnecting rooms with our children. The mini Mac with on demand films and free internet meant my wife could still shop whilst away from home.The sports centre is fabulous,the spa is gorgeous and the kids club made our holiday as we couldn't get our children to come out. They even wanted to go back after dinner for the film show or disco's, which gave us time to have dinner on our own for a change. The staff in there were terrific. We had the most glorious lobster dinner on the beach surrounded by candles under the stars with the sea lapping a few meters away. Thank you Patrick.
Now for the down side. The food, whilst of excellent quality and variety, was often cold at breakfast and also on some of the buffet at night. The pizzas were cooked and then left to go cold, the asian stations were always cold, however i asked for things freshly cooked which the chefs did and it was lovely. The main problem seemed to be the staff forgetting to light the burners under the bain maries. They're all new though (the staff) so that should improve and did to an extent even during the time of our stay.
They have a huge amount of serving staff, waiters, but none of them actually do what you want them to. They are too pre-occupied with trying to welcome you to the restaurant by your name to notice you haven't got a knife or fork, or some milk has spilled on the floor and 2 people have slipped on it. If you ask one of them for a napkin they ask someone else who asks someone else who disappears for a few minutes and then brings it eventually, watched by the other 3 who all stand around smiling and taking it in turns to ask you by name if you are enjoying your holiday.
We were upgraded to a beach villa half way through our stay and i was very impressed not only by the rooms, 3 fridges, 3 flat screen TV's, private garden and swimming pool, but most of all by our villa host Lynsley who could not do enough for us, being on call and appearing within minutes to arrange everything for us , dinners, spa bookings etc, even collecting us and taking us to breakfast as the only guests in the newly opened 2nd North beach restaurant, where again the 4 of us were served by 7 people and 2 chefs (but they still got our order slightly wrong every time) but it was worth it as the freshly cooked bacon and eggs were divine.
A lot of people were buying drinks from a little shop outside the resort and filling their room fridges but beware, i took a bottle of wine from my room to the restaurant and was charged £16 corkage, even though it was a bottle the guest relations had given to me. They apologised by clearing it from the bill and giving me a bottle of Chateau Neuf Du Pape. Apology accepted.
The diving was horribly over expensive at 88 euro a dive compared to 35 euro outside the resort half an hour away. however the dive guys were brilliant even if the dives were quite similar. Though 5 sharks on one dive was quite nice.
The layout and general feel of the resort makes for a relaxing holiday where you never feel there are too many people around, but we met some nice people by the pools and through the kids club. The clientel are French, Italian, German, British, Midlands (Sally) and a couple of Ruskies but generally ok.
The people are lovely, genuinely nice people who are pleased to see you, most will chat and ask how you are , what you have been doing and if you are enjoying yourself, but some are very shy and seem a bit scared of saying the wrong thing.
We went there after enjoying Le Muria on Praslin last year. However this is not the same experience. It has the same manager and key staff, but, it isn't there yet and i'm not sure it will attain the same level. It has a more family feel than exclusivity so might be better for families from that respect, i have also read how it is bringing the Seychelles to the family market by making it more affordable. £5 for a small beer by the pool, £130 for lunch for 2 adults and 2 small children and 88 euro diving is always going to limit who goes there, but then again, isn't that what the Seychelles is. Paradise ...... at a price.

1 Thank Jesterrip
Salzburg, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2010

Just a few words:
it is absolutely great, relaxing and beautiful!
Don´t miss the speed-boat-trip to Praslin and La Digue, we loved it.
Even if you don´t believe, because beaches of the resort are wonderful,
but once in your lifetime you have to have been snorkeling at Anse Lazio of Praslin.
ENJOY!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2010

Ephelia is a new resort in a spectacular location with some genuinely stunning beaches. Its a big resort, however, and therefore a little impersonal at times, but the food is very good and its easy enough to find a quiet spot. Given its 2 months old it is overall very good - with room for improvement that will come with time.

+ new, modern rooms
+ really amazing beaches, including a couple on the south side away from the junior suites that were deserted
+ food in buffet excellent
+ Adam and Eve restaurant very good both times we visited
+ bar had more reasonable prices than other resorts in Seychelles and excellent service
+ swimming pools lovely and rarely too busy
+ tennis social night
+ snorkeling and diving was pretty good
- not too generous on HB package at other restaurants, with either very limited choice or necessary supplement
- service mixed, at times excellent and others indifferent
- diving stupidly expensive, but this seems to be a Seychelles thing
- didn't feel very personal as is quite a big resort
- the area behind North Beach really needs some vegetation - doesn't look good at the moment - and the villa architecture there is not amazing

3 Thank NickiG
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2010

The Ephelia is very much better than the 'average - not more' comment from Relaxing 88 in Zurich however I don't think it ranks as as a New Heaven either.

The resort and what it offers is very good, excellent rooms, good food with plenty of choices other than the standard buffet.

Many people have talked about the variety in terms of pools and beaches which although it is a large resort helped to make it seem like a smaller more exclusive one.

Much has also been said about the price of Wine, Beer etc. My feeling is that although it was pricey it was not unexpected and considering it included service as well was probably appropriate. Many have said were staying there on the excellent 2 for 1 special deals yet still they complained about the price of drinks! (I too had the deal but I am not complaining). In fact the deal expired half way through our second week and found the resort much nicer during that week. Quieter, less people around and even better service.

For me the one thing that lets the resort down was the housekeeping. Whether, it was where we were, Suite 2nn, or in general I don't know. It seemed that our room was not made up until late afternoon and not always with 100% effectiveness. Towels missing, no new toilet rolls, balcony not swept. I broke a wine glass one day and I eventually had to ring for a replacement. I had to ring for towels on more than one occassion as well.

Considering that the room was made up late in the afternoon I found it annoying that the person who came to turn the bed down was then coming around early evening often when we were getting ready to go out. Often we were delaying a shower just in case they arrived. They did not always heed the Do not Disturb notice!

Outside of the Housekeeping the service was very good though. Generally speaking very attentive staff in the Reception, Restaurants, Bar and the Swimming pools. Although sometimes I think it was too much in your face.

However, enough moaning. It really is a very good place to stay. The food was very good and the accomodation excellent. However, it is not that good that it deserves some of the plaudits that it has received but it is certainly a lot better than some of the criticisms that it has had.

We had an upstairs Suite which I felt offered more privacy than the ground floor suites. Another definite draw back was the Shop which to be honest might just as well not be there. It stocked very little, not even any sun cream, and had no idea when other stocks might arrive.

We did hire a car for 3 days but to be honest 2 would have done. Mahe island is not that big and we were really struggling to find somewhere else to go on the 3rd day. One place well worh the visit was Takamaka Bay down at Anse Interdance was certainly worth visiting, but not for swimming!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SurreyMan44
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

I have read many reviews before and after my trip to this magnificent location on the delightful Island of Mahe and would like to add my own humble comments.
First and foremost, this resort isn't yet the finished article-and bearing that in mind,the fact that the holiday came at a great discount and that we were expecting teething problems throughout,i have to say that i was delighted with the 2 weeks we were lucky enough to stay here for.
O.k their are a few minor issues which the wonderful hotel management freely admit too, but it's really nothing to spoil your vacation here.
The hotel is simply beautifully constructed throughout, and blends into the natural beauty of the tropical location - a credit to the designers!
Their are slight problems with some of the design which are noticeable when it rains - and oh boy can it rain!!!
(Don't worry ,it clears in no time!)
And the worst design fault is lack of ramps anywhere,so it is awkward for pushchairs and wheel chair access,but certainly not impossible to get around.
The resort is huge,we stayed in the Junior suites on the South side (North side completes end of May i was told)
The rooms are superb, very spacious with all the mod cons you would expect. The apple media system is a treat but it doesn't let you plug your ipod in just yet so take a docking station if you want music in the room.
Films on demand was great for my 3 year old boy.(this is all free of charge).
The system takes a bit of getting used to but all your hotel info is on the system so it's worth using,free internet was also very handy.
If like everybody else you are concerned with the cost of drinks and food when you get here be very careful with the mini bar, the prices are ridiculous so keep the chocolate out of reach of the kids or you could be bankrupt within days.
A beer (local~) costs around £4.50 and the prices are being reviewed by the management because nobody was spending money at the bar or restaurants while we were their.(if you have an Iphone i recommend you download a currency converter app as it was a godsend for me -it's 15 seychelles ruppee's to the pound roughly).
However - do not despair, although hotel management will tell you there are no shops around,i stocked up my fridge from a local "tin shack"located about 400 yards from the far end of the North Beach( beach staff will point you in the right direction) all kinds of beers,spirits and wines (a bottle of red cost 10 euros here - cheapest red at the hotel £24) i made this journey a couple of times and it was well worth it.Another piece of useful advice which i discovered myself - take out a kayak from the south beach - paddle across the bay towards the church (you can't miss the cross) - to the left of this is a restaurant, berth the kayak here- climb uponto the road and lo and be-hold there's a secret shop!!!!
They don't sell alchohol but you can get snacks,crisps,biscuits etc.(nobody at the hotel mentioned this shop - it's a long walk on foot - but the kayak is the quickest way - honest!)
Be careful taking wine into the restaurant as they will charge a corkage fee(£21 for a bottle of your own champagne!)
Stock up at duty free at the airport with wines etc as it's a lot cheaper.
Food quality is superb and if you like curry you are in for a treat.Fish and meat also excellent - loads of choice for all tastes in the buffet.
Breakfast also very good, don't feel embarrassed to take some back to your room for a midday snack - everybody does it on the sly!(a big bag recommended!)
Their is no milk provided in your room so phone reception and they will bring you a fresh carton to keep in the mini bar (free).
Staff are very friendly- especially the buggy boys who are great.The zee bar is lovely after dinner, Hans is the friendly waiter in their and looks after you well.
Marco is the manager on the South Side and is a genuinely nice guy- as are all the management.
clients - Russian,Italian,French,German,South African and of course British.
Most people try to dress smart of an evening - shorts are certainly embarrassing for evening attire!
North Beach is breathtakingly stunning, but the South beachprobably beats anywhere else you have ever been hands down aswell and this is quiter. the water is gorgeous but i recommend rubber snorkelling footwear as a precaution - there are black sea urchins about and a river gently flows in to the south side which can deposit the odd broken piece of glass.- their is an island adjacent to the South beach which can be walked to quite easily as the water is shallow out to the reef,the kayaks are a great way to explore all the bay and on our last day we was lucky to have a huge stingray follow us in the lagoon which me and my wife found quite moving.
The kids club is excellent and you will probably have it all to yourself(they have a wii and PS3.
You do not really need to leave the resort as it is so relaxing - we never even used the spa which is the biggest in the Indian Ocean and the Gym is also very nice - and empty!!
If you are due to travel out here soon - do not worry about anything as it is magnificent - if you do not relax as soon as you arrive then you should re-consider whether holidays are really your thing!

7 Thank mikeyduff