“Constance Ephelia”
Review of Constance Ephelia

Constance Ephelia
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Mahe Island
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We were welcome in our home language by Frans, and he showed us the hotel’s facility and activity’s. The service and friendliness of the staff were exceptional – the best we experienced. The food were extraordinary, and were catered for all cultures. Island hopping are a must to do, but not on New Year’s Eve, too crouded. Beverages are more expensive in the hotel than outside in the town. Make use of bus transfers to see the island, and not taxis, they are too expensive. Arrange your own island hopping yourself, we made use of Masons travel, but they are rushed and unorganized. Seychelles are a must to see, it’s expensive but worth every penny.

Room Tip: Family's can book a Family villa with their own swimming pool. Chreche facility's are also a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
EpheliaResort, General Manager at Constance Ephelia, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the review regarding your stay at Constance Ephelia.We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the resort & its services.
We would be pleased to have you amongst us in not too distant future.
Regional General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,763)

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I can't think of adjectives strong enough to say how wonderful this resort was for us. My friend and I were there last week and every single aspect of this resort was perfect. I simply cannot fault anything or anyone there. The people were all delightful and pleasant, the service was excellent, the food ... oh, the food! Perfect. And so much of it. And so much variety. And so many types of restaurants from which to choose. The view of the sea from our junior suite (which was, as you might expect by now, perfect) was spectacular. So many pools, all of which were clean and tidy. I've seen a review from another traveller in which he/she said the service was poor and it took them 25 minutes to check in. For us, the service was excellent and it took just a few minutes to check in. For us, this 5-star hotel was not overpriced. One gets what one pays for in life, I think, and the Constance Ephelia will be remembered not for the price but for the resort and what it gave us: excellent memories amongst charming local people who couldn't have been more helpful. And the food ... oh yes, I've mentioned the food already. I highly recommend this resort. I saw a lot of children with happy looking parents, so I'm assuming it's good for children as well, although I can't speak for them. But for this couple: perfect. Thank you, Ephelia.

Room Tip: The suites overlooking the south beach have the better views, from what I saw of the accommodations...
2  Thank Lisa D
EpheliaResort, General Manager at Constance Ephelia, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your encouraging review. At Constance Ephelia we are committed to consistently providing warm, efficient and discrete service to our guests and their appreciation and acknowledgement is always our greatest reward.
We eagerly await your next visit.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had visited this hotel previously for zip lining and had high expectations based on what we saw and the price ($750 per night).

Pros - North beach is beautiful, the guys who run the zip lining and rock climbing are great, and the spa is lovely

Cons - Service is very slow and poor. It took 25 minutes to check in, even though we were the only people in reception and had booked directly on their web site. Most of the staff were too busy getting ready for their holiday party to focus on the guests.

We booked an ocean facing suite, which was really just a room with a balcony and to see the ocean, you had to lean over the balcony and squint.

The resort is huge and the main way to get around is by buggy. The buggy's only run about every 20 minutes, and that's a long time to wait when you're constantly moving around the resort.

We had a leak in our room and came back late one night to see that it had soaked half the bed. I don't know how housekeeping missed it! We didn't want to deal with maintenance late at night, so we cuddled on half the bed and called the next morning. It was our last day, but unfortunately we had to change rooms as it wasn't a quick fix.

The new room had a better layout, but the light on the balcony kept going off that night as we were trying to relax on the balcony.

Final comment - housekeeping was very loud at 8am as they were chatting with each other while cleaning the rooms nearby. It's not the way I want to wake up on vacation.

4  Thank ADtravelbug2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Constance Ephelia.We made a good note of the points mentioned by you & respective departments have been notified for corrective measures to ensure it does not happen again.
Your feedback si very important for the high standards we strive to maintain.Should you decide to visit Constance Ephelia again please be assured of best of services.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Let me begin with saying we did a combined South African/Seychelles trip for 2 weeks. Our experience in South Africa was beyond amazing--we stayed at the Lion Sands River Lodges and Lion Sands Narina lodges for a total of 5 nights. Just so you know we're not difficult to please travelers--check out our reviews for those resorts. We have traveled a lot over the years...many times to the Caribbean and to Hawaii as well.

Without a doubt, this was the worst vacation experience we have ever had! Housekeeping just met expectations of what a high quality resort should provide to their guests. Everything else from reception to dinning fail far short of what I would expect in 3-Star accommodations in most Caribbean resorts. Ephelia is by no means a 5-star resort--although they charge you as such!!!

First, we arrived in the evening, got settled in our room and went for a late dinner at the buffet restaurant. It was super busy, very loud (live music being played) and we had to wait 10 minutes or so for a table. We were on a half-board basis which as we understood included breakfast and dinner. As we set down to dinner, we discovered that we could not even get a soft drink with our meal without paying extra for it. Keep in mind that a coke was 3 times as expensive as a coke at the little store outside the north gate (45 Rupees vs 15 Rupees). We realize that things have to be shipped in and are more expensive, but this is a bit outrageous, even by hotel standards. So, we ordered water. The beverage menu listed various types of bottled water for a fee as well. We just wanted a glass of water....we had no idea we were being charged for this water as well--we found out 2 nights later. First, IF we had ordered bottled water, I expect to get a new, unopened, full bottle. This was not even the case--it took 15 minutes to get water for our meal. The bottle was open, partially full. Are you kidding?!?

I was disappointed already as none of the rooms are "ocean front". I inquired about this and they said the rooms are "ocean facing". Well--who cares if you can't see the ocean!!! Our room was also pool facing but again you could not see it. So, "ocean facing" means its out there somewhere and they are garden view rooms.
The next night, we went to Adam and Eve (Chinese food). It was an ala carte night and the notice said that half- and full-board guests could order 3 courses and that any additional courses were for a fee. The menu listed appetizers (soups, salads), meat entrees (chicken, etc), fried rice, and dessert. I do not really care for Asian soups and do not eat salad. I simply wanted sweet and sour chicken, fried rice, and a dessert. When I inquired about having fried rice in lieu of an appetizer, the server said that wasn’t an option and that I would have to pay for the rice (between 120 and 140 rupees, I believe). I was a bit frustrated already. Finally, the server asked the manager if an exception could be made. When she returned she said very rudely, that an exception would be made this one time but not again—that I could skip a course but I could not exchange it for fried rice. It’s fried rice with a little egg and some vegetables! It’s one of the cheapest things you can make! This is one of those cases, where it should not have even been an issue….no one should have had to talk with a manager. It wasn’t as if I wanted an extra entrée or a meat dish.
The next day we were called to meet with a representative of our ground transportation to schedule our return trip to the airport (3 days later). He inquired as to how our trip was going….I said I wasn’t very happy—everything is a fight. He telephoned someone and told us about the little store outside the north gate. We confirmed our departure time. That evening we went back to the buffet. We again ordered water to drink. After we finished dinner, we received a call from our server saying we had not signed the bill for our water. We had not signed a bill for water to-date so I was unsure what he was talking about. Up to this point we had no idea we were being charged for water…without our authorization. We honestly didn’t know there was a charge for water. I went back to the restaurant and told them I wasn’t paying. The manager said that on half board you have to pay for beverages. Water is not a beverage…it’s just water, especially if you’re not requesting a special kind like Perrier. If I was going to have to pay for anything to drink I certainly would have ordered something besides water. We did not ordered bottled water…we simply ordered water. Therefore, I do not believe we should have had to pay for bottled water!

Anyway, after this we did not order water with dinner any more. We simply brought a glass of water with us to dinner. The real kicker is that we went to the little store and bought a few things to have in our room (drinks, snacks) and paid a fraction of the cost. The mini-fridges didn’t keep things very cool so I asked to get a glass of ice at the bar. The bar man said I would have to call room service and get a bucket of ice---for a fee of course. I didn’t need a bucket of ice…just a glass. I had asked for a glass of ice once daily on each of the two prior days and had been given it but from this point on, no. Really?!? It’s ice…and only a glass.
On the morning of our departure, we received a bill for the first two nights at which we had drunk water with our dinner. We said we wanted the charges removed because we did not authorize those…that we had not requested bottled water and consequently did not believe we owed for them. The person at the desk talked with the manager. They refused to remove the charges. After about 20 minutes another manager came out. We went over the entire ordeal again (for about the 10th time)…we said we weren’t paying and he said well, I’ll tell security to not open the gate for you to depart. He THREATENED to hold us hostage over charges we did not authorize!!! This is like highway robbery…blackmail. Keep in mind the disputed charges were only 90 rupees…about $8 US. The money was never the issue….we could certainly afford to pay for beverage if we wanted them but these are not items we choose to spend money on. We ended up paying because we wanted to leave…and felt trapped. Suspiciously, our return transfer to the airport did not arrive and the hotel manager said the company had no record of our scheduled departure. I find this highly suspicious since we had met with a representative a few days before and confirmed the departure day/time. Luckily, there was a family returning to the airport with another provider who kindly helped us out and got us to the airport on time. This gentlemen didn’t even charge us—we tipped him with the remaining rupees we had and thanked him profusely.
The food at the restaurants was of marginal quality and had very little taste. Food was cold that should have been hot unless you got a “cooked to order” item like pasta at dinner or eggs/omelet at breakfast. For instance, hash browns and pancakes while not refrigerator cold were certainly room temperature.

This is a train-wreck of a resort. 5-Star accommodations? Please…more like 3-Star with a bad attitude. The wait staff were not friendly and don’t even get me started on the front-office staff. They have no concept of the idea of guest service and what “reasonable” is with respect to guest accommodation and fees. If you have ventured to this resort and had a “good experience”—congratulations. But, I would highly recommend traveling to 4-star or 5-star resorts in the Caribbean…you’ll be shocked at how much better the food, service, and views are and you’ll get it for much less money! I always wondered why we encountered so many Europeans in the Caribbean…I wonder no more!

30  Thank ALee0530
EpheliaResort, General Manager at Constance Ephelia, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Guest,
We are in receipt of comments regarding your stay at Constance Ephelia.We are dissapointed to know that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
As already explained to you by our Rooms Division Manager during your stay with us our resort is not all all inclusive resort.Drinks are payable including water.
Seychelles as a country is very rich in its vegetation with its unique flora and fauna.The resort also has been carefully built around in order to ensure very little damage to the nature.All our rooms face the ocean & the greenery is maintained in the front of the beach to prevent erosion.However we do trim them from time to time.
We have already informed your representative regarding your missed transfer back to the airport.We have also made note of your opinion on other issues highlighted by you.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed 5 nights with my wife in pregnancy and 5 years old daughter in December 2013.
Usually I do not write a review but hospitality that we enjoyed much from your staffs make me to write this to praise them.
Smiles that we received from every staffs we met and passed by were something that was most impressive and memorable to me on top of facility, service, quality of F&B, etc, which were fantastic as well. How could you make every staffs smiles at the guests?! From reception staff to the gardeners and janitors, even those guys chopping off the tree branches, they all smiled and wished us to have a good day every time. I had small hassle with evening room make up but that could just melt down with their smiles.
Special thanks to the gardeners who cut down the fresh coconut and cut it off for my little daughter's drink and the lady who received us on our arrival for her quick arrangement for the early check-in for my pregnant wife.
In my opinion, you should be very proud of your staffs who is drawing so many good feedbacks and generating customer satisfaction.
I will visit again in 2 years time when my 2nd child can travel.
Many thanks again for your hospitality.

1  Thank Steve0905

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Constance Ephelia.We are very pleased to know that you carried back fond memories of your stay at Constance Ephelia.It
was our great pleasure to have you amongst us & we hope to welcome you back in not too distant future.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

My wife and I spent a week at this most amazing resort. We were unable to fault them on anything and would recommend this place to anybody whether you are going for a honeymoon or a family vacation. Their guest service and food was exemplary and they went out of their way to make our trip a memorable one. There are plenty of activities and seeing that it is such a huge resort, you can't fall short of things to do. We would especially like to thank seema and laetitia, who are great at what they do and with staff like them, no wonder the resort is a paradise. Please do keep it up !!!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for this resounding review of your stay at Constance Ephelia.We are absolutely delighted to read your review.
Feedback such as yours further encourages us in our efforts to continually endeavour to meet and exceed the expectations that all our guests have from us. Your comments will only push the bar higher and will challenge my team and I to ensure that we live up to them.
Hope to welcome you back in not too distant future.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We have just spent 12 days at the Ephelia Resort and it was just perfect for us.
It was our 10th year wedding anniversary (we got married at Belle Mare Plage in Mauritius, another Constance hotel) and we wanted something special to celebrate it. Throughout our stay we were treated very well, with exceptional service and attention to detail - it made it a truly memorable holiday.
We were very lucky to stay in hillside villa 6, and the experience of the villa service is truly exceptional. A special thanks to Christina, the guest relations and reservations manager - you really made the holiday very special and we will never forget it! The villas have a personalised butler service and golf buggy - Faizal looked after us, and again he made a real difference to our holiday experience, discreetly organising treats and making us feel very special - the only negative was that I couldn't take him back to London with me!!
We have a 7yr old son - Leonardo - who had the best holiday of his life. As other reviews have said, the resort is big, with plenty of activities on offer, so we spent our time swimming, snorkelling, playing tennis or squash, and also did the zip wire adventure. Not to mention the snorkelling excursion when our son for the first time saw turtles and sting rays, a special treat on Christmas Day! The kids 'gecko' club was great for him, very good facilities, but more importantly they organised lots of group activities from pizza making to mangrove tours, and Stephan and Minguel in particular were brilliantly engaging with the children.
We were on a HB option and the holiday has 5 restaurants to choose from, each with a distinct identity and menu, so one could really find something to suit your mood. Overall the food and service were excellent.
The SPA is spectacular and it is worth spending a few hours there to do the water therapy and chill out in a stress-free environment or if you want to spoil yourself have treatments.
The resort is great for couples and families alike and this makes it a good mix of people and atmosphere. With two distinct beaches and 5 swimming pools, there is always somewhere that you can find the right place for you.
All this to say that Ephelia is a great place and I will definitely recommend to friends and family. This is the first review that I have ever submitted to trip advisor, so that in itself speaks volumes.
Thanks to all, Daniela, Piers and Leonardo

2  Thank 125Dany

Dear Guest,
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at Constance Ephelia & the team ensured it was memorable too.
We sincerely thank you for your encouraging and kind words of praise for our hotel and services. Your generous indication of our performance will be a source of inspiration.
We thank you for your custom and your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahe Island
Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa
Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove
Banyan Tree Seychelles
Coral Strand Smart Choice Hotel Seychelles
Kempinski Seychelles Resort
Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa
Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort ...
#1 of 1 in Silhouette Island

Been to Constance Ephelia? Share your experiences!