“What a place!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Mahe Island
Riga, Latvia
“What a place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel with it's huge territory gives best of Seychelles: plenty of beaches, natural variety, relaxation.
Many of reviews here are exaggerations either into one or another direction.
Constance Ephelia is quiet reasonable resort, but it's main asset is nature. Judging by Junior Suit it's not luxury resort, but good 4.5* resort.
Depending on your activities you can find not only North beach with it's easily accessible snorkelling and South with shallow water but as well Lans Anglais with bigger waves, 3-4 small secluded beaches on both sides of North and one accessible only by trail from hillside villas. Here is even one nice beach 15 minutes walk to left from North gate outside hotel (opposite direction 5 min is local shop where for SCR 15 you get 1l of drinking water).
We were living in Junior suite (2+child) and it was reasonably large, well designed in minimalist style. Only beware from bedside lamps- you can easily hit them with head and they are made from iron.
We had ground floor and where satisfied because didn't have to worry about child taking stairs. I saw so few people from terrace that didn't feel bothered.
If you want to be easy walking distance (don't forget it gets really hot around noon) from main activities, ask for suites 1xx or 4xx. 2xx and especially 3xx are father away- you will need either to walk a lot or every time look for buggy.
As most people are expected to go to beaches not much attention is given to pools- they are well tiled, but shallow and simple, water getting hot in afternoon.
Being with child we usually went for diner to Corossol, where buffet was plentiful with good selection of french style desserts. Every day it had some theme, like Creole, Aqua, Indian, etc. Pity that very tasty Creole salads we had only once per week.
Choice was much more limited for breakfast. My recommendation- pancakes and omelettes. Unfortunately fruit selection was quite limited for such location.
Once we tried Cyann and food and atmosphere there was really good, not like Adam&Eve where we once had lunch and it was not value for money.
If you are not on half-board count on additional EUR 70-100 ppn for diner.
Service level in general was good and most of personal was friendly and cheerful.
Here is free wi-fi, albeit quite slow and almost not accessible after 6 p.m. We went to kids club as well but it gets quite hot here around noon.
Those who don't have late check-out but have flights at night can use departure lounge with good showers and computers, but weak air conditioning. We had late check-out in our package (if available) and transfer at 21.15 but didn't get it because of "fully booked hotel"(truthfulness we could not check), so had to use this facility.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ezis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

This was our second visit to the Constance Ephelia - we returned as everything had been perfect when we went for our honeymoon last year. Unfortunately the service had deteriorated drastically and it spoiled our holiday.

We had to report a problem with the a/c twice before it was resolved. The resort does not allow vehicles and all transportation is by golf cart shuttle service. This is advertised to run every 10 minutes - we had to wait sometime 15 or 20 minutes for a shuttle and only waited because of the rain! The bar at the Adam & Eve was another area that left a lot to be desired. Every time we wanted a drink we had to go up to the bar as the staff were too busy talking among themselves. The service improved a lot the following day, after we had reported it to a Customer Service Manager! However, we did not think we should have to make complaints in a 5* Spa Resort! The Adam & Eve restaurant is now a Chinese, and the food is very nice. On the last night we ate at Selsawa but did not realise until we got there that it was a set menu with no choice at all! The main course was lobster thermidor which, although I love lobster, I did not enjoy as it was full of mushrooms (never had mushrooms with lobster thermidor before!). The best part of the meal was the dessert!

In the main restaurant one evening we arrived a little later & the staff seemed to be unwilling to reset a table! They did when the restaurant manager arrived and we didn't mind waiting, but it not set a good impression.

The room was nice (but not as nice as last time) and clean but we very much doubt we will return to the Ephelia as it is not what we expect of a 5* Resort Hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room on the outside if in a Junior or Senior suite - there's more light (windows) in t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank SaudiSue2
EpheliaResort, General Manager at Constance Ephelia, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for comments regarding your recent stay at Constance Ephelia.We are truly disappointed to know that you second visit to our resort did not live up the expectation.Please accept our sincere apologies for the various service shortfalls.Please note that each & every comment has been passed on to the concerned manager for immediate corrective action.
Should you decide to visit Constance Ephelia again please be assured of our personal attention to ensure you have a memorable stay.
Kind Regards,
Philippe Guitton
Regional General Manager
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had a lovely holiday and truly relaxed with a toddler! there are always pros and cons here are a few of ours..

2 adults and a 23 month old baby. We stayed in a senior suite number 60 on the ground floor looking out towards the ocean, lovely, spacious and private. Noisy bats, in the trees near by, I guess its a nature reserve....

There was a play area for our toddler just outside with swings climbing frame etc. and a beach box full of beach toys. little Kabana snack place/bar very useful albeit a bit greasy, caesar salad wrap was good the rest dripping, could be better. The beach was beautiful and having hired a car for the day I think our location was one of the nicest on the island.

The lovely bathroom was large enough for us to shift the cot in there at night if we wanted to watch a movie. and the baby sitting service was good we kept the same babysitter for the week. When we went snorkelling we dropped the toddler at the kids club with the babysitter, and she brought him to us after. As with our spa massage, again the babysitter came to the room whilst our toddler had a nap.

Restaurants were ok, no fresh milk all UHT on the island, but they did have yoghurt and cheese so our baby tucked into this each day to get his dairy, I guess you could bring formula, or freeze milk to bring, but it was not big deal in the end. Found it helpful to bring some little snaplid pots to save a few leftovers from breakfast for the toddler, and brought a few snack bars with us too.

Food OK overall, service in Corossol at breakfast could be better. Toddler spilt his juice and staff member just looked then walked past, 10 mins later I asked for it to be cleaned up as people might slip on it. She was very busy though. Saying that most of the staff were very helpful.

Cyann was the nicest restaurant nice wine list and tasty food. We did a wine pairing menu, and being pregnant they paired all my meals with a mocktail which was really nice, meanwhile my husband got tipsy!

Had dinner at Helios - Tajine night, you really have to book 24 hours in advance for some of the restaurants as they do get full, we had wanted to go to Adam and Eve restaurant as we live in the middle east and eat Tajine a lot. My beef was very tasty, husbands fish was overcooked. However it was just a small tajine pot of beef, no cous cous or accompaniments. Not enough for a pregnant lady.. Service was good.

Dinner at Adam and Eve, better than Tajine, more choice, but three dishes - fish, beef and chicken all tasted the same and felt like they had the same black bean or oyster sauce on them. Good kids dinner fish and steamed veg.

We didnt make dinner at Corossel, as we ate breakfast there each day. and Selewa was closed during our visit.

I did request room service for toddler and specified fish fingers and steamed veg, at a specific time which was perfect for him, the service was great.

No changing facilities/tables in restaurants which meant I had to do it on the floor - a little disappointing and not easy being 7 months pregnant, so bring a mat to change your baby on.

Lots of Ants everywhere, cant do much about it really,and mosquitos at sunset despite fumigating, bring repellant.

Overall though with babysitting and a beautiful beach, nice room, we had a lovely time, very relaxing spa and massage, hired a Kayak on the south Island as there are a few islands to explore, and had a paddle with our toddler (they have a baby life vest) this was lots of fun, fed the tortoises which was fun too. and had couple of really nice dinners at Cyann. I recommend this resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 60 senior suite north side, lovely location and suite, noisy bats though. Can see...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lesqueeze
Tring, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had a week at Constance Ephelia at the end of February into March. We were concerned about the size of the hotel and after having read some of the reviews. We have been to other Constance hotels and found this to be equally as good - if not better. We had a beach villa that included a villa host - Naren - who was attentive but not intrusive. We were given bikes and could call for a buggy to transport us any where whenever we wanted. The villa was comfortable and when we did have problems with the tv and wine cooler they were dealt with promptly and efficiently.
The food was excellent (we ate in 3 of the restaurants) and room service excellent.
We liked that we could get lunch from the cabana on the north beach.
It rained. The staff were brilliant, not fusing but ensuring that we weren't getting wet during meals.
There was an abundance of towels on the beach and round the pool and little touches like children's beach toys was delightful. There were also colourful unbreakable crockery laid out on each high chair. Very thoughtful.
Every day a gang of ladies worked their way up and down the north beach removing the seaweed and keeping the beach immaculate. Fantastic!
The only down side of the holiday for us was the journey via Abu Dhabi - we missed our connection and were delayed almost 24hours.

Room Tip: The north side villas are quiet and close to the beach
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

new ,high tech elegent resort..it is situated on 2 beaches each of which we snorkeled. we were transported to the different beach(north) and restaurant by electric buggies . We were there on a half board program which was more than adequate. breakfast buffet huge and lots of choices as was the dinner. The staff was very attentive and quick to answer any questions. the pools were all laid in tile and very clean I think there were 5 pools so we never had to search for a beach chair.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank fishwish
Reading, Berks UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Having looked at a number of reviews, it is clear this perhaps doesn't reach the 5 star levels, with a few silly things like the lights tripping in the bedroom and failing to pass on an excursion booking...but... The staff are very good and are responsive to any issues. This isn't the sort of place whe the staff are all over you bowing and scrapping (that happens in Asia not Africa) but they are all polite friendly and helpful and in some respects I enjoyed being given a little space rather than having someone running around after me all the time. The jewel is for sure the surroundings and although this is a big resort, it is so spread out you never feel like it is crowded... Indeed we often had the south beach or our pool to ourselves. Since the hotel is set behind the trees, when you look at the shore line you would not even know there was a resort hidden there. Extras are expensive but then we went to Victoria and actually things are expensive anyway...why? Because Seychelles is 1000miles from anywhere so everything has to be shipped in, so it will be expensive....having said that a bottle of wine each evening won't break the bank just lok through the menu for something "sensible". Otherwise enjoy and check out the waterfall!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DougReading_BerksUK
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Coming from the airport, a driver was already waiting to take me to the hotel. It took less than an hour with some lovely views on the way - Seychelles is mountainous and though the roads are good, I was still thankful to have an excellent driver navigate those uphill and downhill turns.

It was around 9 a.m. when I got there and found the lobby full of other guests waiting to check-in. Tea, coffee and pastries were available while we waited. (The hotel had a lovely open lounge/lobby area and already I had great views of the ocean!) Fortunately, I didn't have to wait too long - before noon I was taken to my Junior suite by a golf cart and it was just perfect! The bed was decorated with flowers, as was the bathroom, and I had a little balcony outside with some comfy chairs. One side of the bathroom opened to a tiny private garden. Everything was provided for: thick, clean towels, bottled water, tea/coffee-making facilities, toiletries and robe. The room was cleaned every morning and everything was well-maintained, including the gardens outside.

The hotel grounds are extensive, hence the use of the golf carts. You could walk but the heat can make it unbearable. The gardens and grounds are very well-kept and everywhere was clean and orderly. Well, it is a fairly new hotel. Against a backdrop of mountains, it was scenic everywhere!

I was on half board and this is a good deal as the hotel is somewhat out of the way. Breakfast and dinner buffets were superb! Such a lot of variety! Dinner usually had a theme and there was always a great big fish they had caught for the day. In general, staff were attentive, asking what I'd like to drink, how my food was and taking empty plates away. One night though, and it wasn't even a busy night, for some reason no one came near me and I nearly had to shake the arm of a passing waiter just to order a drink! I got my drink but nobody was clearing my table after each course or asked if I wanted coffee or tea later like they normally do. It was only when I was leaving the table that a couple of staff came alive and wished me good evening and said they hoped I had enjoyed the food! I was a little put out by that time but it was the one and only negative experience I had during my stay.

The pool is nice and clean, though not very big. It was 5 minutes from my room but I spent more time at the beach. The weather was perfect during my stay - hot and sunny so this really made an ideal beach holiday for me! There are 2 beaches - the furthest one on the north is better for swimming as the other one (close to the lobby) is too shallow. You can walk for about 15 minutes to get to the north side or just wait for the golf cart - there is usually one somewhere. Lots of sunbeds available. There are locals who use the beach but they don't bother you. Beach boys come up and ask if you want to take trips to other islands for snorkeling and barbecue and other excursions. Their prices are ridiculously expensive - the hotel will offer more reasonable rates.

The hotel provides good sightseeing trips and some free activities in the morning like yoga. Staff are friendly and will answer any questions and make recommendations. You can also get the shuttle into town in the morning and it'll pick you up later in the afternoon. It's a good way to see a little bit of Mahe and the market. I enjoyed the trips to Praslin and La Digue - gorgeous islands! For those who like to buy souvenirs, I found the prices in Praslin and La Digue a little cheaper compared to Mahe - haggle!

When I first came I didn't check the items in the mini-bar (which you have to pay for if you take anything). I did this on my second night and found that there were 2 drinks missing from the list. Concerned that I would be charged for them I called up housekeeping and tried to explain. At first they thought I was complaining about their service but when they realized what I was talking about they assured me that I really wouldn't be charged anything. After 10 minutes they sent a free bottle of white wine to my room as an apology! Amazing!! How many hotels would've done that?! It was just an example of their wonderful hospitality.

My flight was in the evening and they confirmed my airport transfer at 8 p.m. On my last day I checked out at noon and was assured I could still use all the facilities. They even have a little storage room just off the reception where I could keep my luggage. I spent the day at the beach and late in the afternoon used the showers and changing rooms for guests near the reception. There was a little queue as apparently a lot of other guests with evening flights were doing that too. The hotel provides 2 computers for free which was very convenient while waiting.

All in all, I had a wonderful time here: great service, friendly staff, good food and relaxing ambiance. I would love to come again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo