“Nice and quiet place on a hillock”

Albizia Lodge Green Estate
Ranked #8 of 49 Mahe Island B&B and Inns
India
“Nice and quiet place on a hillock”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed at Albizia for 4 nights. The care taker Lyndie is a wonderful lady ready to help you out with anything. Since our flight was arriving at night we had asked for pick up and there we would see Lyndie standing at the airport to welcome us.
I had read many bad reviews about this place, but the owner told that extensive renovation work has been done in the past few months to make it more comfortable. All rooms have AC now, the bathroom fittings look absolutely new. The rooms are quite large and spacious with a private balcony facing the ocean.
Breakfast was basic and not very extensive.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

I spent my first night on Mahé in this hotel as I had to be at the airport early the next morning.
My room was lovely and modern (and very clean) with view over the sea. There was no air conditioning but that wasn't a problem as the fans were enough to keep the room cool.
I didn't have a car but took a cab to the airport (300 roupies = £15) and I took the local buses to travel to Anse Royale (10 min on the bus). The hotel is on a steep hill so if you're on foot you'll be doing some exercise as the bus stop is at the bottom of the hill.
The landlady was nice; some people might think that she is abrupt, but most Seychellois are like that. She gave me tips for the buses and ordered my cab. The food she cooked was delicious and breakfast was also very nice with a platter of fruit, omelette, bread and jam.
The only negative point was that the Wi-Fi was not working, but when you're on holidays it's nice to be cut off from technology to fully relax!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Camille_Reading
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

This place was an absolute delight. Situated on a hillock facing the sea, albizia lodge is a small but comfortable place. the hotel has just 7 rooms but each room is Huge, with a Large Balcony facing the sea. The bathrooms are also huge and clean.
The rooms are eqipped with AC, a small refridgerator, comfortable bedding, nice closets and chests of drawers.
The Manager, Lindy, and her daughter made our stay an absolute delight. She is very helpful and arranged all tours/taxis for our excursions.
If you are looking for a budget hotel, this one is the best. It gives all the comforts at a very affordable price.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

I don’t understand the positive reviews here. Some astro-turfing going on?

LOCATION – This place is well off the beaten path. Although only 15mins from the airport, it is practically in the rainforest and getting anywhere else on the Island is not easy. If you look on Google Maps, it seems like it is only a short walk to the beach. However, that short walk is down a VERY steep incline. We’re talking 70 degrees, and waking down there I was afraid that if I lost my footing I would fall all the way to the bottom. Walking up was one of the most painful experiences of my life and thanks to the humidity it looked like I had just had a shower by the time I got to the top. Having a car is an absolute must if you decide to stay here but only if you are comfortable with steep mountain driving. Locally, there is absolutely NOTHING of interest. Of all the Seychelles beaches I’ve seen this is one of the least interesting. There are a few shops around and they all seem to be frequented by drunks buying liquor, which made me worry about my safety. These shops are not cheap either so don’t think you will get bargains here.

FACILITY – The building itself is quite small. There is a communal TV area, a pool room and an outside terrace where you can sit and stare at the sea over the rainforest canopy. Breakfast is included which was nice, simple and tasty. Dinner costs 15 Euros and was fine if you like Creole cooking. Wifi is free – you need to ask for the code - and is normally OK for basic surfing, but it often goes down too so don’t expect it to be available 24/7.

BEDROOM – The bedroom I got was a good size. Lots of drawers and some cupboard space. They give you a fridge, kettle and a large fan. There’s also a ceiling fan and decent aircon unit. The aircon is useful as it keeps out a lot of the insects. Even so, I did wake up to find ants crawling over my bed and on my pillows. Not a nice experience.

BATHROOM – It’s a good size. The fittings are new and modern. They supply you with hand soap and that’s it, so you need to bring your own toiletries if you decide to stay here. Don’t be surprised to see COCKROACHES, ants and flying insects when you open your bathroom door. Water pressure is strong. Floor is crawling with ants. Ceiling is low so if you are tall you will probably bang your head repeatedly when using the WC.

BALCONY – You get a nice balcony with your room, which has a couple of leathery deckchairs and a view of either the mountainside or the sea. The balcony is carpeted which I found a bit strange as it must get very damp during the rainy season.

OVERALL – This place is not for you if you can’t drive, have mobility issues, hate creepy crawlies or if you want a location close to nice beaches. The staff here are very nice people. They will try and help you as much as possible. But that doesn’t change the fact the location is inconvenient and the place is crawling with insects. This is a last resort option if you absolutely cannot find (or afford) anywhere else. The Seychelles is very, very expensive for accommodation so I guess this cheap place fills a niche. However, I would not come back here.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere. You will be better off paying more somewhere with a higher standard.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Zillimeter
Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

First we were planning to stay at Albizia Lodge only for few nights, but as soon as I arrived and spended first night there I knew that we would definitely like to stay there for our whole vacation – there was absolutely no point of changing place.

Lyndie took care of bringing me first from the airport to Albizia before renting car next day, which she also arranged and with very good deal =) The other half of me arrived two days later and then we spended very relaxing week in the hands of Lyndie.

It was nice to wake up in the mornings listening bats and birds in close by threes and having fresh seasonal fruits with toast and eggs for breakfast. It was beautiful sunrise if got up early enough to see it, and seeing bats flying back to their trees. We enjoyed dinners made by Lyndie every night and had very good and friendly atmosphere during our stay at the Albizia Lodge. Nice and quiet during the nights and only sounds of birds could be heard throughout the night – if even those. Rooms we stayed where nice, clean and most important beds where good to sleep at, at least in our opinion. Bathroom was more than big enough.

We lost our hearts to place and definitely when coming back to Mahe we will come back to Albizia and hopefully will be treated by Lyndie again. Thank you so much for Lyndie for the hole 10 days I spended there and that our week was enjoyable. Mathew have been making a very good deal when discovering her =D

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Timisoara, Romania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

We had a bad experience at this hotel.
We've stayed there for 1 week, but it was horrible....no AC, like it was written when we booked the hotel ( we had in the room only a ventilator) , no TV ( again..like we were promised) - there was only 1 common room (more like a living room ) with a TV -, no Internet only in the common room - and when we asked about it - they used to say "next day" 'next day".
The place is at a good 10-15 minutes from the beach.
Now about the food - poor breakfast - 2 pieces of toast with some gem, and a plate of fruits ( when I say plates - don't get me wrong 4 pieces of fruits - like 1 small banana, 1 quarter of an apple,stuff like this, ) and for the coffee - like many wrote it was nescafe, with hot water - do it yourself
and for dinner- for most of our stay there the owner was available so we ate fish 5 out of the 7 nights that we were there ( now if you are a fan of fish this is ok...but if you are not....too bad :( )
And to complete with this- in our room there was a sofa at the end of the bed - for 2 days, the one day when we came from the beach - there was no more :))...I don't know why...I didn't even want to ask what was the reason that they had to remove the sofa from the room...but this is why I'm writing now this review....so think twice before you go there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
ALBIZALODGE, Owner at Albizia Lodge Green Estate, responded to this review, January 29, 2011
I would like to thanks you for your coment wich is very valuable for us and we do take these coment serioly as you say you stayed in august from this time lot of changes has hapen so concerning the a/c now we do have a/c in our room, we now have wifi and we offer it for free breakfast now we offer more varity
Concerdrning dinner we try our best to give more varity of food and client if free to ask for any special request

management.
Frankfurt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Albizia Lodge extremely. The room was spacious, tidy and had a wonderful terrace. The breakfast was more than sufficient and the staff working was always very friendly.
The best thing about Albizia was our host Matthew. We had some problems with our travel-scheme, but he helped a great deal and was so supportive. Other than that he prepared us delicious dinners and one evening we had a Barbecue of note. He had plenty of good tips/hints/advice for Seychelles-travellers and we had tons of fun talking with him over a beer...
We would definitely stay again at Albizia Lodge.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple