“Great location for exploring Galilee, but a bit over-priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Scots Hotel

Scots Hotel
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Tiberias
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great location for exploring Galilee, but a bit over-priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2008

This is a nice hotel overlooking the Sea of Galilee. I booked one of the antique rooms and paid a premium for it - I was a little bit disappointed - for the price, I think they could have done a lot more with the room which had a lot of potential to be really amazing. That said, the room rate did include a fabulous, gourmet breakfast and dinner (not kosher) with a spread of delicious local products. If you do stay in the antique rooms, you have access to the balconies which are very nice places to sit and enjoy the view of the Sea of Galilee. The gardens are lovely too and there is a good sized swimming pool which you access via a bridge across the road. You can get spa services (massage etc..) but they are done in a converted guest room - there is no spa as such. Overall, this is a nice place to stay, and a good place for accessing the galilee area, I just would have expected a bit more luxury for the price I paid.

• Liked — The food and the views of the Sea of Galilee
  • Disliked — It did not feel like value for money
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank LisaJane072

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
istanbul
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2008

We stayed here for two nights and what a delight they were. The hotel is a boutique hotel and hence you get the warm feeling. The rooms were big, clean and nice. The restaurant was gorgeous with excellant meals. It's not in the city centre like the other huge hotels but I think thats better. Anyway the city centre is only 2 minutes walking distance. Since it has only 50 rooms it provides a fabolous atmosphere. Lovely!

Stayed March 2008
3 Thank zackist
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2008

I stayed with my wife at the Scots hotel to celebrate her birthday. It was a great experience and we loved every minute. Our stay was half board and dinner was real gourmet. The hotel is pricey but it is worth it.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LLBG
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2008

I stayed at the Scots for three nights. The service was very good, the room was spacious, with a magnificent view of the lake. I booked the antique with lake view.

Breakfast had enough variety (i.e. different types of bread, fish, eggs....) and the people were always very courteous.

The only thing I didn't like was that internet was extra ($24 per day???) and I think a hotel of that category should probably include it in the rate and offer the service. But across the street there were three internet places for about US$1 per hour, so it wasn't really a big problem.

The location is excellent. I had a car and it was easy to get out of Tiberias and come back. Also it was close to a major street to go out for a walk, and some good restaurants and cafes for dinner.

Security was outstanding as well....

I loved that the hotel had history, and it wasn't just another big building full of rooms. You'll love it.

• Liked — Beautiful view
  • Disliked — Expensive internet access
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank Psykiya
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2008

One of the nicest hotels in Israel. The room and grounds are beautiful and location is perfect--walking distance to shops and restaurants. The breakfast was a magnificent spread. The lake view room is not necessary, save $ on the garden room.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — only one computer for guests and 8$ per hour to use
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelaurPa
Boston, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in December, 2007. Our biggest concerns were the stench of a dead animal (perhaps a cat?) that came from the elevator shaft, and the cigarette odor in all 3 rooms that we sampled. We complained many times re the dead animal stench. Someone then sprayed the area with perfume, so we then had a perfumed dead animal stench. When we complained about the cigarette odor, we were told that this is a non smoking hotel, and also that the staff had no control over what guests did in their rooms. There were no "Please do not smoke" reminders in any of the rooms.

The room that we finally settled in, despite the cigarette odor, had very basic furniture, and when one takes a shower, the entire bathroom becomes a lake. We were advised by hotel staff to open the windows to ventilate the room from cigarette smoke. Later it got cold, and we shut the windows. It was still cold, and we were having trouble with the thermostat. When we telephoned reception, we were told that the hotel had not yet turned on the heating system for the season (This being December 16), and that they could supply us with extra blankets. We said that we were not cold in bed; we were cold in the room. When they finally turned on the heating, we still had no heat, because the room's thermostat was broken. Eventually it was repaired.

The building that we stayed in has no service elevator, and guests ride the elevator together with dirty laundry bins.

Breakfast buffet dishes are not replenished. When a tomato salad platter is empty, why not at least remove the empty platter?

In lieu of dinner's expensive buffet, hotel guests have the option to order something a la carte at the bar, but the bar staff is clueless (What is the soup of the day? "I don't know, I'll find out"; several minutes later, we ask again; "Oh, did you want me to find out?"), and the bread roles (at an extra fee) are stale.

I wonder why the gardener does not remove flower pots with dying plants (and some of the pots have no plants at all).

While the hotel staff is mostly courteous, this can't be said for the hotel's gift shop staff.

If any of the above were to occur at a one- or two-star hotel, I would have no complaints. But not at a hotel of this caliber. It isn't worth the money. I will not be returning, and I cannot recommend it.

Stayed December 2007
8 Thank danielbgadish
Pipe Creek, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2007

I have stayed at the Scots Hotel on two separate occasions. In fact, on my last stay I had the misfortune of slipping on some stairs- my fault totally, not the hotels- and the staff was extremely helpful and concerned. Fortunately, I was fine, but it just reinforced my opinion of the property. Very, very nice place to stay. I recommend it highly. The rooms are superior, with great beds and televisions, the food is excellent and it's located right in the middle of things.

• Liked — They were of a very high quality.
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike at all.
  • Stayed March 2005, traveled on business