“YUCK”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“YUCK”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Hamat Gader used to be my idea of bliss and a favorite spot to relax and melt stress away (see a previous review of mine entitled Ahhh)
My family visited the site today for a long awaited day of relaxation. We were appalled to find the place crowded with screaming mobs of people - many of whom entered the water in all their clothes. To enter the water one had to walk over a layer of sunflower seed shells spit out by other visitors, there were all kinds of nasty things floating about in the water, people were puffing away on cigarettes in every corner (including underneath no smoking signs). In the special room with hotter water (which used to be my favorite) the acoustics are so horrible that even though I put my hands over my ears I had a headache within 5 minutes. My daughter was appalled and refused to even enter the water - my husband and I went in and out. We'd planned to spend the day but left after half an hour...that was probably 25 minutes longer than we should have stayed. We've crossed this off our list of enjoyable places to visit. We live in Israel so are somewhat used to the noise and dirt which can be found in every watering hole in the country...I wouldn't want to think how this scene would strike someone who came from abroad!

Visited March 2013
9 Thank libidess

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Jerusalem
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 155 helpful votes
“Soothe your muscles while crocodiles roam nearby”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Hamat Gader is a natural spa in the north of Israel, about 25 Km. from the town of Tiberias. The entrance fee allows you to use the changing facilities, to bath in the warm sulfurous pools and in the cool sweet water outdoor pool - this last, not during winter - to see the Roman ruins and to visit the crocodile farm and the small zoo. You can also get special treatments for an additional fee. There are several restaurants and snack bars in the premises, shops and a hotel.

Hamat Gader is a good place to spent a whole day, especially with children; the mineral warm water does sooth muscle and joint pain; however, try to visit on a weekday as it tends to be very crowded on weekends and holiday periods.

Visited April 2012
Israel
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Never on a Thursday night !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

The last time I was in Hamat Gader was about 20 years ago when it was a small nature reserve like hot springs with wonderful Roman ruins, Today it is a very busy and popular attraction with places for kids to play, a crocodile farm (not for kids to play) as well as a hotel spa and a number of restaurants. This time I made the mistake of going with friends on a Thursday night. The place is open until 22:30 and prices go down at 17:00.

Maybe my experience was colored by the fact that it took me over ten minutes to find a clear space to change, and although there were lots of chairs the four of us only found one free to pile out bathrobes etc. It was unbelievably noisy and crowded and not overly clean, albeit they did try. The bottom line was that though the air over the tented part of the pools was a balmy 27 degrees ( mid January), we couldn't take it for more than a half hour.

I talked to a young man at the gate on the way out about our experience. " Evidently you haven't been here for a while, everyone knows never to come on a Thursday night - half the country its here!"

Maybe I will try it again in a few years early on a weekday morning

Visited January 2013
5 Thank elib_travels
Nice, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hamat Gader”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

We loved the Crocodiles and appearence of the park. nice plac to visit in the north if you have several days to travel there.

Visited January 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
2,258 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,050 helpful votes
“Great spa and view.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

A great natural spa experience, combined with a crocodile farm nearby in a mountainous surrounding – what more can you ask.
Considered by many as the best natural spa in Israel, this place is rich in sulfur to an extent some people may find the stench too repulsive.
The spa experience is wonderful and the hot water do magic on sore muscles.
The crocodile farm nearby is a nice gimmick, but nothing more.
Highly recommended to visit during the winter.

Visited April 2012