“An lodge of excellence”

Ranked #1 of 37 Safed B&B and Inns
Tokyo
“An lodge of excellence”
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Tzfat is a great place to visit, a good base camp to explore the Galilee.
Jeff and his wife are doing a hell of a job. Not only the management of their lodge is very professional but also they are such a warm, genuine and charming couple. My wife is Japanese and she now wants to come again.
Honnestly, usually there is always something wrong in an accomodation but this one was just perfect.

For food in Tzaft, Isidora 5 minutes walk from the BB.

Otherwise, in Roche Pina, dramatic view at the Shiri Bistro.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Hebrew first
Rochester, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Everything all the other reviewers say about this place is true. You must stay at Artists Colony Inn if you are going to be in Northern Israel. The Inn itself is wonderful. A lovingly restored and renovated house that is hundreds of years old, yet fitted with all modern conveniences. The rooms are beautiful, and well appointed and the beds are very comfortable. The nicely furnished lobby and courtyards are very pleasant to just sit around in. Our stay was as relaxing as a week at our favorite beach.

The innkeepers are fantastic. They made us feel as if we were cherished guests. Bennay actually went out to find us when we arrived in Safed and couldn't find the inn. She took us on a little tour of the artists colony, and made great recommendations for meals. The brunches she prepared each day were wonderful. We especially enjoyed the elaborate meal that was prepared for Shabbat lunch. When we left for a few days of exploring the Golan Jeff's last words to us were, "If you get lost call."

This place would be perfect if it wasn't so far away from my home in Rochester, NY.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I came to Safed to browse the shops in the artists' colony and stayed overnight at the Artists' Colony Inn. I found the inn on the internet and chose it based on its availability and price. I had no idea how wonderful my experience would be. The proprietress was fantastic. She genuinely cares about her patrons. She took me (not directed me, but actually took me) to the shops (it's not so easy to find them on your own). She made a special early breakfast for me since I needed to leave early in the morning (before usual breakfast hours). The room was spacious, airy, and quiet. It's rare for me to stumble upon a gem when I search for places to stay. But, I hit the jackpot this time! I definitely recommend the inn to anyone staying in Safed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
NY
Reviewed May 9, 2010

After reading the Israel forum on this website we debated whether or not to visit Tzfat. The reviews and pictures of the Artists' Colony Inn tipped the scale, and what a great decision it was!

As others have noted this B&B, or zimmer, has been lovingly restored and decorated by Benay and Jeff Katz, making it both a visual delight and and a comfortable hideaway with all the amenities. Benay's breakfasts are beautifully presented, delicious, and so abundant that we always wondered where the other people needed to eat everything were hiding! Both Benay and Jeff are charming and warm and willing to share their love of Tzfat and Israel with their guests. From our first contacts by phone and email we knew that they would be wonderful hosts.

We enjoyed a late afternoon tour of Tzfat with Jeff on our arrival, visiting several "hidden" synagogues, learning about kabbalah, and discovering lots more than we would have on our own. We also spent a day touring the Galilee and Golan with him. He's a great guide and we left with a new appreciation of how fragile Israel's peace is in the north.

If you can make the time for a visit to Tzfat be sure to stay at the Artists Colony Inn!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed April 27, 2010

To begin this is my first ever review, I don't really know if I will write another one, its just not my style, but I felt compelled to enter tripadvisor and let everybody know that for our stay in Tzfat I am glad to have taken in account the reviews and feedback that people have left for the Art Col.

Tzfat is a delight in itself, but adding the artist colony Inn into the mix was like icing on the cake.

From the first minute Jeff and Bennay made us feel right at home, not only are they greats hosts, but also Jeff is great tour guide and they both are great for conversation.

If you happen to stay there on the Sabbath, a must is to go to Baruch's house for shabbat hospitality, Jeff can hook you up as he did with us.

It seems like every detail has been thought of, and when we came up with a special need, well they were up to the challenge.

We where lucky enough to have stayed during our trip in other top notch hotels in Israel, but in my kids recount and stories they always bring up in first place Jeff and Bennay.

So if you are planning to visit Tzfat, and like clean sunny rooms, comfortable beds and pillows, warm and cozy lobby, great hosts, don't think about it twice.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Toronto
Reviewed April 16, 2010

Benay and Jeff Katz are unique. He will regale you with stories of hhe history and the locale. She will make sure you enjoy the ultimate in luxury. When you open the stone gate and enter this little walled paradise in the old city of Safed, ISrael you are about to have a unique pleasurable experiece.
Coffee, espresso and pastries are available all day and evening. Plates of delicious cookies, candies and dried fruit are placed in your room daily. The rooms are luxuriousy furnished. I marvelled at the contrast of the old stone walls and the ultra modern plumbing. It is all done with exquisite taste. There are only four rooms. Each has its own courtyard and the view is heavenly. Your Israeli breakfast will be delicous. The only problem comes when it is time to leave. You will want to stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
London
Reviewed April 16, 2010

My sister and I stayed here for 2 nights. Benay and Jeff were very friendly and welcoming and made us feel comfortable straight away. Our room was amazing, we had loads of space in our room which had a balcony and a mezzanine level (both of which were lovely for reading and relaxing in the sunshine). The rooms are all very contemporary even though they are set in a beautifully old building. The location in the old town was perfect and a very short walking distance from everything we needed. We also loved the spread for breakfast - especially the wide range of cheeses!! Thank you for a lovely stay! :)

• Stayed April 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Safed
Ruth Rimonim
#3 of 5 in Safed
Bayit Bagalil Boutique & Spa
Amirey Hagalil Boutique Hotel
Artist Quarter Guesthouse B&B

Been to Artists' Colony Inn? Share your experiences!