“A hotel to make you appreciate staying home”

Leonardo City Tower Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ramat Gan
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My initial impression of the hotel, perched on the edge of some major roads in a pretty non-descript part of Tel Aviv did not bode well. However, the reception was well lit and welcoming. Check-in was a smooth and painless process and within a few minutes of walking into the hotel I was dropping my bags in the room…and then things begun to fall apart:

The Room

The room was pretty standard, a decent sized bed, small mimibar, kettle etc. There was nothing remarkable about the room but equally so there wasn’t anything offensive about it either. The blinds really didn’t close and the bed sheets were measurably too small for the bed but in the general run of things these can be considered to be the most positive aspects of my stay. The bathroom was definitely shabby, cracked tiles in the shower, a bizarre and somewhat disturbing metal sink which looked like it has been forcibly removed from an operating theatre and tiny slivers of soap which really only served to underline the feeling that someone in the hotel’s management had once heard of complimentary toiletries but failed to grasp the overall concept. The biggest issues with the room was that the air-conditioning, despite being reasonably functional, produced a eerie dripping sound the whole night giving me the impression that I was actually sleeping in a deep, dank cave. Close inspection of the unit did not reveal the cause of this dripping and I didn’t want to complain to the hotel in case the charged we extra for in-room entertainment.

The Lobby Bar

Shortly after my arrival I retired to the lobby bar for a drink and dinner. In the 45 minutes that it took me to attract the waitresses eye for the menu I managed to contemplate the sheer genius of someone who cant work an empty bar and still remain unaffected by the night’s solitary punter gesticulating wildly and making the universal signs for, ‘Help I am dying of thirst…’
The wait for the menu however had set the expectations high which was a major problem as the fare offered, so called Italian Tapas appeared bland and uninspiring. However, I can not make a fair and honest judgement here as after another 30 minutes of trying to catch my waitress I simply gave up and went to bed hungry.

Breakfast

Normally in Israel breakfast is a wonderful spread of fresh fruit, fresh bread, cheeses, coffee, cakes and other such wonders. I have been known to eat my own body weight for breakfast in Israel and was distraught when I saw the breakfast on offer here. Ignoring the fact that it took me 27 minutes to find someone to bring me a cup of coffee (which the more generous traveller, I am sure, will agree, is perfectly acceptable…especially considering the amount of effort it takes to server the two other punters…) the selection was pretty poor. My overall impression was that it has been assembled from left over breakfasts collected from lower star rated hotels. The fruit all looked well past its prime or came from cans, the cheeses all looked bruised and slightly sweaty whilst the yoghurt (at least I hope it was yoghurt…) was something that I will see in my nightmares for many years to come. I am going to ignore whatever was growing in the honey dish as it seemed to be thriving quite nicely and had doubled in size the next day (I only went back on the second day as I have a car crash fascination with the macabre…). I would also strongly advise people of a nervous disposition to avoid the omelette chef as my request for an omelette was received with as much disdain as I have ever seen from one human being.
The Gym

The gym wasn’t too bad – the treadmills seemed to be in good working order and there was a punch bag, which was an added bonus. I didn’t use the pool but it looked clean and well maintained.

The Concierge

I do have to question the concept of putting people who really, obviously detest humanity, in customer facing positions. On my departure (and yes I was smiling from ear to ear…) I asked the concierge to book me a taxi that I could pay using a credit card. This resulted in a series of scowls and long faces and another look of such utter contempt that would have given the poor omelette chef a run for his money. When the taxi arrived, the concierge jerked his thumb in the general direction of the taxi and watched as I struggled to open the door whilst juggling two bags. I don’t think it even crossed his mind to help me or even open the boot of the car.
Clearly, I wont be staying in this hotel again as a there are many many better hotels in Tel Aviv staffed by people who understand the concept of customer service

Room Tip: The best rooms can be found in alternative hotels
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank blazdell
Fattal_Hotel_Chain, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo City Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Guest,
I would very much appreciate it if you would contact us at Yorava@fattal.co.il.
I would like to speak with you about your stay at the Leonardo City Tower.
It is very important to us to learn and improve from our guests comments about there stay, and I would very much like to hear all about your stay with us to see how I may help.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Yora Vardi

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We were delighted with our short stay here and would pick this hotel again. My husband was there on business and I went for a rest. It is in an ideal location, near the bus station and the trains, both less than a few minutes walk. The staff made us so welcome and were very helpful and friendly. We booked with use of the business lounge, which was a real benefit, I could pop in on my own, have a drink and snack and there were always friendly staff there to chat with. Everything was clean throughout the hotel, including the pool and surrounding area, and food was excellent. I thoroughly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Fattal_Hotel_Chain, General Manager at Leonardo City Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear Guests,
It is an absolute pleasure to hear that you were able to enjoy yourself and have the time to rest throughout your stay.
I am very happy to hear that the hotels location was so helpful to you while you were traveling.
We hope to see you with us again soon.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I spent a quite pleasant and long-lasting period in Leonardo City Tower Hotel in Ramat Gan from 07.04.2013 till 06.02.2014 with some small breaks in-between. As a general conclusion: I liked the hospitable service gotten on daily basis at the hotel's front desk, business lounge and breakfast area. The same good and joyful behavior has been seen coming from the spa girls/staffers. All my additional requests have mainly been fulfilled. Special thanks and greetings to the Business Lounge Manager, to the General Manager P.A. & Guest Relations Manager, to the City Tower General Manager and to the Chief Security Officer. And to others, making part of from the hotel's personnel, who have been in contact with me. However, the service in the Tapas Restaurant in the lobby was not according to my expectations at none of my trials being there...

Room Tip: Avoid to get in this hotel rooms having communication doors to one of the neighboring rooms, or clos...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Fattal_Hotel_Chain, General Manager at Leonardo City Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear Guest,
As such a frequent guest at the Leonardo City Tower Hotel is in an absolute pleasure to read your review.
It is always a pleasure to have you stay with us.
I was sorry to hear that you did not enjoy you time spent in the restaurant and I have passed this information on to the relevant managers.
We are all waiting for your next visit!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights when in Tel Aviv and although I wasn't bowled over the staff were mostly ok, although the cafe staff were not great but are probably on mimimum wage. The front desk staff were helpful, especially the lady that was very pregnant and in general service was fine.

The room was ok, not sure why they can't either use fitted sheets or ones that properly fit the bed as both nights my bottom sheet came off as soon as I sat on the bed. TV was fine with a few english speaking channels, the bathroom was clean and the shower excellent.

One key draw back was the ridiculously expensive WIFI which I just don't understand, a business hotel surely should provide wifi free to entice people who mayneed to work when staying there. In the UK I have found it generally to be free now and in Germany. It just feels like a rip off when you pay £16 for 24 hours, that is ridiculous and really put me off using the chain in the future.

It is quite far out of town although near the Tel Aviv 2000 Bus terminal which is very handy considering the lack of a quick train network. In fact I decided that the area around the hotel was quite dull and instead I managed a day trip to Jerusalem by Egged bus (number 480) which was fantastic and cheaper than a day's internet at the hotel!

From the airport get the train to Tel Aviv Centre Savidor which takes about twenty mins, exit by the Ramat Gan exit and if you look up to your right it is the bleeding great tower next to you. You have to negotiate your way through the mall and over the road but it is literally five minutes walk.

The food was pretty average especially the Italian tapas (?) and the breakfast was over priced, I woudl prefer not to stay there again and will request not to if I go back to Tel Aviv.

Room Tip: Some of the higher rooms should have a good view
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

I first would like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to comment about the Leonardo City Tower Hotel.
I would like you to know that I have spoken with the relevant parties about the service in the restaurant and we will be taking care of this matter to the fullest. We pride ourselves on our service and after reading your comments we are taking this very serious.
Concerning your comment about the bed sheets, we have made an order for a new and more efficient product that will make your stay with us even more comfortable.
I would like to comment on your complaint about the WI-FI charge as well as the charge for breakfast, I am not sure with who you made your reservation, but we do provide really great deals through our WEB LEONARDO on-line reservation department and you can find there great deals that include breakfast and when you book with WEB LEONARDO you have free WI-FI included in your reservation.
I do hope that you reconsider and join us again.
Hope that you had a safe trip home.

Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Leonardo City Tower Hotel in Tel Aviv on 1st February 1st until February 2nd .we very enjoyed the courteous service of the hotel reception, the great breakfast in restaurant "Arogula" and the courteous spa girls.
The Girls are very smiling ,and the massages were excellent. Any request we asked, the hotel staff responded with a smile and yes. In addition, there is an excellent standard of cleanliness. The accommodation was just perfect!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to complement the hotels staff.
Our staff works very hard to make sure that our guest requests are meet to the fullest.
I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotels facilities like the spa which provides wonderful spa treatments.
We hope to see you with us again soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

The hotel strikes with its extremely convenient location close to one of the central Tel Aviv railway stations and at the exit from the station a tube passage leads you directly to the hotel's door. Just ask the station staff for the direction towards 'bursa' - the local diamond exchange - and you are there. The room is very cosy and mildly luxurious. We liked it a lot especially as it is located very near to the place where one of our close friend works in Tel Aviv.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment about the Leonardo City Tower Hotel.
Located near the hotel you have a large variety of public transportation, and it is always great to hear that our guests were able to use such transportation in order to make there stay more comfortable.
I hope you had a safe trip home.

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

I visit this hotel on a weekly basis as part of maccabi tel aviv football club pregame rest. I find the facilities very good including the rooms and the food. And the staff very friendly and helpful.
I warmly recommend this hotel.
Nimrod mahler head physiotherapist of maccabi tel aviv football club.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

How wonderful that your sports team joins us so frequently.
I hope you are able to enjoy the hotels facilities and that your team plays a great game.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramat Gan
1 mi away
Rimonim Tower Hotel Ramat Gan
Hotel Indigo Tel Aviv - Diamond District
Kfar Maccabiah Hotel & Suites
Royal Beach Hotel Tel Aviv by Isrotel Exclusive Collection
Crowne Plaza Tel Aviv City Center
Leonardo Boutique Hotel Tel Aviv

Been to Leonardo City Tower Hotel? Share your experiences!