“Better for business than leisure”

Leonardo City Tower Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ramat Gan
San Francisco
“Better for business than leisure”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

This is a hotel that was previously a Sheraton, so it has many of the sheraton-like features: Breakfast buffets, spacious rooms, cleanliness, etc.

However, I found the train and highway noice to be very high and had to change the room. The swimming pool is good, but they do close it up early. The Gym had good facilities as well. There was no sauna available (or working those days when I was visiting).

The wifi internet was free in the rooms, and was pretty good (I could use FaceTime on my iPhone to show the room and views to my family in US from there!)

The staff is friendly, but not exactly pro-active as in other 4 and 5 star hotels, so expect them to help you where you want, and thats it.

One thing that really put me off was the strong perfume that is always present in the lobby. Several of my colleagues noticed that, and it made it very hard to wait around in the lobby!

1 Thank FamilyTraveller44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Staff fantastic friendly,helpful coudn't ask for more.
Great hotel and nice and quite.

Edinburgh
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I stayed at City Tower for 4 nights while on business in Tel Aviv. The newly renovated rooms are comfortable, clean, cool and quiet. The wifi was included and although a little slow, worked well. There was good desk space with comfortable chairs for working and relaxing.
The breakfast is high quality and includes a wide variety of fruit, salads, cheeses and breads. I may have been unlucky as the chef had the skill to make it look as if each omelette he made was his first ever attempt. The service at breakfast could be better as the staff rarely smile and despite there appearing to be many of them, seem reluctant to offer service other than clearing tables.
The pool is a nice feature however as this seems to be a public facility rather than only for hotel guests and it gets extremely crowded in the late afternoon. Best time for a swim is early morning.
The location is fine if you have transport or are willing to take taxis.
Business travellers from Europe and USA may be used to higher quality of service and this is something that this hotel could improve. Even encouraging the staff to smile would help! The maids like to clean the rooms early and I advise that the 'Do Not Disturb' sign is hung if you wish to sleep beyond 7.30am however this may not prevent them from vacuuming at your door.
Overall the City Tower provided a reasonable stay while on business.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor. Rooms start on the 10th floor.
2 Thank Steve_Th
Reviewed July 31, 2011

If you are looking for a convenient business hotel in Ramat-Gan, close to Tel Aviv, this is a great place to stay.

The hotel in a previous Sheraton, became a Leonardo, was renovated recently and is more than correct.

• Stayed July 2011
Gibraltar
Reviewed July 29, 2011

After reading some of the reviews here, I made sure to request a room away from the elevators. This did help, as the sound of the bell each time the elevator stopped would have driven me crazy - but with paper thin walls I could hear every word, sniff and burp from the rooms next door or the corridoor. The traffic noise was also noticable, even on the 15th floor.

That being said, the room was spacious and clean and the service was excellent. Any call I made to housekeeping (for example extra hangars or an extra laundry bag) was responded to within minutes - certainly the fastest I have experienced.

The location was good from a business perspective, but would not be my choice for a holiday, as it is quite a distance from the main tourist spots, being located between the 'bursa' business center and diamond exchange, main railway station and a brisk walk from the Azrieli towers and mall.

The other thing to disappoint was the breakfast service, both for food and, surprisingly given my other experiences at the hotel, service. I normally very much look forward to breakfasts in Israel, but the selection here was underwhelming and felt 'recycled'. The staff were completely inattentive and sullen. The one thing the staff were meant to serve - the tea and coffee - almost never was unless specifically asked for, which few guests did. Most of us just went to the server's stations and poured it ourselves.

One particularly memorable morning there were no spoons laid out at all. Three guests asked the same sullen waiter for spoons for their coffee, and each time the waiter would look more annoyed and go off to bring another, single, spoon. The scowl he gave me when I suggested that he bring more spoons as there were none out, prompted that lady at the table to sympathise with me. She told me she had complained twice about ants in the cereal and was met with the same response. I did notice that the staff seemed to have changed towards the end of my stay, they were less sullen, but I still had to get my own coffee.

So, a bit of a mixed bag. If you appreciate spacious, clean rooms with good housekeeping and front desk service, free wifi and can sleep through background traffic noise and conversations (and eventually even I could after two sleepless nights), don't mind serving yourself coffee at breakfast, eating an average buffet breakfast (mind the ants in the branflakes) and grumpy waiting staff, then this place would fit the bill. Otherwise, if you have a little bit more to spend and there's room, consider the Crowne Plaza in Azrieli. That's where I'll probably be next time around...

Room Tip: Ask for the higest floor you can get and the furthest from the lifts to minimise noise.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Artemistica
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Just wrote a review and it didn't go though so here's the short and sweet:
We arrived at the hotel and were impressed with the modern looking comfortable rooms. We noticed a few ants around the coffee tray before heading out that night. We told the guy at the desk he said he'd "take care of it"...

Well let's just say that he didn't.

The next morning we woke up and found the table crawling with ants (no we didn't bring any food).

Upon checking out we told the lady at the desk the problem and that we were not happy that they didn't change our room when we first complained. She was very nice and apologized. Then she gave us a discount on our stay and invited us to coffee and cake on the house. We certainly appreciated her courteous response. Judging by the other reviews we probably had a spate of bad luck.

In the end we had a wonderful in time general despite the ants.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Faune
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My wife and I visit Israel regularly from London and love this hotel. A Hotel with friendly staff who go out of the way to help and assist guests. Excellent location and an excellent pool and spa.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Leonardo Beach Tel Aviv Hotel
Vital Hotel
Vital Hotel
#18 of 100 in Tel Aviv

Been to Leonardo City Tower Hotel? Share your experiences!