“Modern and Clean”

Ramada Hotel and Suites Netanya
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Netanya
Reviewed January 10, 2013

stayed here for a night and enjoyed it. Very modern feel to the place. Plenty of room in three room suite. Great view of the sea. Our group was here on a Friday night-dinner was included in our travel package. The buffet restaurant was amazing. Terrific variety of foods. I really enjoyed this hotel. Large tub, 2 large flat screen tv's in suite. Very patio with chairs for relaxation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jlantern3

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed in a suite here for one week with my husband and 4 children. The hotel was clean and had lovely spa, pool and gym facilities.
The breakfast was second to none, there was something for everyone and the staff were very attentive.
My only gripe was that the Friday night dinner in my opinion was over priced for a family. It was over 200 pounds for myself, husband and 4 children two of whom were toddlers.

Overall a great hotel:)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jane B
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed here for 3 days and all i can say this was one beautiful hotel and would definitely recommend,
The hotel is brand new and very well maintained the staff extremely helpful and as well as 5* room service.
The views are just awesome from every single room.

Room Tip: all rooms have sea view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at the "Ramda Netanya" as part of the run away south residents. I must say that we choose to stay here because we have a family near by and we thought our children could enjoy the freedom together with them. We must say that we spend only one day with them. All the rest, the hotel staff succeed to fulfill! Starting from the special price the reservation department gave us, continued to the sympathy that the receptionist showed us and above all-the willing that the housekeeping manager showed us when she offered to wash our laundry at her home!
The hotel located at the new Netanya area, facing directly to the ocean view! It is a suites hotel so all the rooms starting from approximately 45 meter (i asked!). It is very convenient because you have a lot of space! the balcony are very large if you compare them to another hotels. The breakfast is amazing! they serve you everything in a small dishes so it seems very personal. As well they make the salad and the omelette on the spot, according to your request.
If i have to summarize this stay to a sentence i must say- the most human hotel i ever come across! I recommend to each and every one of you to visit there. At least once. I know that i will return. for sure.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tomer_28
Reviewed November 14, 2012

we arrived from the US , this is far away from the ramada hotels in the US , the food is very good ,the size of the rooms are execelent , the stuff was very helpfull too .
it was lovely romantice vacation .....

Room Tip: ask for floors 5-18 rooms ending with 07
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Light, modern and spacious suite. Very comfortable bed with the best fluffy pillows I've ever used.

Located on quieter (and dare I say more up market) part of Netanya with breathtaking sea views. The balcony is very large! It's also lovely to walk along the landscaped gardens overlooking the beach.

Plenty of parking.

Pool area is well appointed but we didn't get to use it much as we busied ourselves with trips.

Reception staff were ok... Some more helpful than others (some simply abrupt and rude) but that is what we've come to find in Israel's customer service generally.

There are lots of great facilities if you choose to use them such as the restaurants, bars, spa and business lounge.

Wifi is also free (which is a big plus for us).

Yes, highly recommend. We've had a happy and peaceful stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank KoopyKof
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor,
This review comes as no surprise at this point in my traveling career, having become simply accustomed to the practice of expecting less in the hospitality (specifically hotel) industry. This of course in a general sense should therefore reflect a higher level of perceived reward in situations involving "unquantifiable" levels of customer service. Okay - for the purpose of this review I will curb my polite discretion and put "unquantifiable" down to just plain bad.
Having decided to stay at the Ramada "suites" in Netanya, on a last minute trip to Israel, we opted to stay about 30km north of Tel Aviv, in a smaller but completely beachside city to avoid the 'excitement' and predictably 'noisy' outcome of staying in a capital city center (considering we live in one, I think that's fair).

SO...let me summarize the advantages of this area of Israel first briefly, before moving on to my more colorful review of the 'hotel' property itself.

1. A 30 minute drive from Ben Gurion Airport in a pre-arranged car service (Tal Limousines) cost $100 with change (sending an automated form using the company website allows for pre-payment also, which means the transfer is as easy as meet & greet at the Level 1 counter (next to Hertz) at the arrival hall (after exiting customs). Driver was friendly and informative, offering useful (if not political) insight into Israel and the region (so, in summary a very positive experience)!

2. The city is located on Israel's largest seaside boardwalk, set on stunning cliff tops on the Mediterranean Sea. There are a lot of cafes in town, great sunsets and makes for a very enjoyable walk into town.

3. Tel Aviv is a short drive away, under $50 by cab and about 15-20 minutes, whilst rail connections are good, inexpensive and easily accessible from town.

OK. So now for my review of the hotel, here's a summary of the week's events:

1. On arrival (at about 430 am) we were greeted by the small looking hotel security guard sitting out the front of the hotel (presumably "guarding" the entrance (one of those rolling circular doors, which for no apparent reason was neither locked nor automated) His sentiment was anything but warm at that time of morning, and following a 7 hour trip from Europe. I believe the crisp early morning sea breeze to have in fact been warmer than his welcome. Put simply his response to our attempt to enter the hotel lobby was "You are not checking in at this time. I don't think so". Well somehow I did seem to think so, in fact. It took some convincing, (the thought of just pushing past him with one hand did come to mind) but we were finally able to gain access to the hotel to check in.

2. Following some confusion with the night reception staff (who didn't seem to think that we had a reservation (despite a very blunt reservation and confirmation process over the phone the day before, during which the reservation staff did none other than try to offer a rate largely different to whatever "best available" rate for 8 nights the hotel had posted on its corporate international site. As for booking through the property website itself, forget it - unless you can read Hebrew and fancy being re-directed to a third party booking website, which eventually amounts to nothing, half way through the booking process..and I don't even speak Hebrew?)
After finally having our reservation retrieved, further confusion about the credit card used to pay for the whole reservation; we were given room keys and sent on our way.

3. Shortly after arriving at the room (which I quickly realized was the smallest "56m2" room I had ever seen, I proceeded to the balcony (well there's another 8m2) only to slice my foot open on some loose pieces of glass scattered on the tiles. A phone call to the overly helpful night reception staff was met with "Sorry we don't have any first aid kits,. I think that is all I can help you with." (Pay close attention to the full stop NOT question mark there, it seems in fact that she was not asking me, rather informing me that I would be receiving nothing else as long as she had something to do with it.)
Great, so ripping the glass out and treating the cut with a refreshing wipe from the plane was about as good as I was going to get at this point.

4. The kitchenette was provisioned with nothing but two small espresso cups and some questionable coffee. Vastly different to the glass bottles of Evian and bowls of apples for example pictured in marketing collateral. Okay, not the end of the world I guess, however some milk or spoons to attempt to make the coffee would have been encouraged. By spoons of course, I don't mean the two plastic stirrers, which we used to pull the glass out of my foot earlier. But at this time of the morning (as per the general sentiments of the hotel it seemed) beggars were in no position to be choosers.

5. During a follow up visit to the guest services desk the next day (re. lack of kitchenette provisioning), I was met with a staff member (who despite having something like TL on her name tag, in multiple languages of course) who informed me that there was no one at the hotel working who could help me right now, and of course the sincerely warm reminder that "there is nothing else I can help you with." (Statement, not question) A sorry for your loss would have been more welcomed at this point (as I was fast realizing that this was going to be one of "those" stays.
Clearly I wasn't in the Greek Islands and there was far less on offer here than the 'many possibilities' the Greeks presented at virtually every point of the trip in 2009. Suffice to say not a great deal was accomplished in Greece either for that matter, so back to point A, re; my expectations being at an all time low.
However insistent as I was to have some basic supplies sent to the room (in the hope of utilizing the electric hot plate at some point during the week, if for no reason other than making a toasted sandwich - which are surprisingly good tasting comfort food, when away from home!) I was informed that in Israel people usually bring things from home
when staying at hotels. Going on to ask if that meant I should have packed the kitchen from Europe to bring to the hotel, to my surprise the woman seemed shocked and replied 'of course not, let me see what I can do.' A promising sign, if not a very small one.

6. A knock on the door 25 minutes later, and I was presented with two larger size cups (aka. small soup bowls with handles) and some more bad coffee and very clumpy creamer sachets. The trip was starting to look up at this point and when I received a phone call from the duty manager I thought I had it made. Easy does it - She was calling me to inform me (in her presumably official capacity) that in Israel guests do in fact bring their own "utensils" to the hotels they stay in. And that my wish to use the electric stove to make the said toasted sandwich was in fact "Not [her] concern" in those exact words. I was later informed that the stove "kitchenettes" are only really used by owners of the apartment - which in my opinion is just crap, and provides a misleading representation to the consumer.

7. At this point I think it would be well advised for me to summarize my top 4 quotes for this hotel stay from the first 24 hours.
1. You are not checking in at this time
2. There is nothing I can help you with
3. Guests in Israel must bring their own kitchen items to the hotel 4. That is not my concern
More to come tomorrow, no doubt.

8. Can't seem to go 5 minutes in this place without more material for this wonderful hotel review. Public holiday in Israel today, so as you might have guessed, no restaurants in the hotel were open at 9pm (despite the one open until midnight in hotel services handbook) and room service was not available today. Perhaps a hotel communication under the door to let guests know? No, of course not. (The one communication we did however receive was regarding Friday night dinner, which was of course in Hebrew – not a word in English, very useful once again.)
So ordering Dominos delivery seemed a reasonably seamless process (little English, and very bad Hebrew on my part) But ok - that bit was fine, not quite the part involving picking the pizza up from the lobby. Received a phone call from reception advising that the Dominos delivery driver was here and to please come downstairs. OK. Get down to reception only to find an employee behind the front desk texting and snorting (a bit like a pig - not very kosher now is it?) to her colleague. Her response when I asked about the pizza - 'I don't belong here, so I don't know about your pizza'. Asked the male sitting at the front desk (presumably the one who had called) only to be bluntly informed that he 'did not call' and in his words, 'do not bother me, I do not know about this pizza.'
After an attempt to obtain further information about this pizza (which now had been
waiting for 15 minutes, somewhere at the hotel) (and only to be ignored, of course), a third male member of staff walked out from the back, and when he heard pizza, informed me immediately that it was outside with the delivery driver.
Now that didn't seem too hard, now did it? SERIOUSLY considering moving out of this hotel at this point. Or perhaps contacting Gordon Ramsay for an international segment of Hell to Hotel could perhaps be in order? Let's see if I can live to see another day.

9. A few days later, here are a couple of highlights of my week since I last furiously penned my recount of experiences. Arriving at the hotel pool mid morning, we were advised that there was no towels available, and to come back later. Gee, thanks for that.

10. Again the hotel room "kitchenette" fit out strikes back went to make a coffee after the room was cleaned (more notes on room service to come) to find that there were no spoons again. We had seriously been left with two small cups - I did try, but somehow fingers in a coffee jar ARE NOT the same as a jar of peanut butter. Rang the hotel manager to request some spoons, clearly not amused, half an hour later she sent up three plastic spoons. THANKS for that.

11. Room Service - this is quite a good one. The room service menu comprises basically of a grand choice of a single pizza, a cheese melt, served with butter (don't mind putting on all those calories I just spent an hour burning in the gym, of course) a tuna sandwich and a fruit plate. (Technically the fruit plate was not on offer, however I managed to bargain with the room service phone operator to switch the watermelon and cheese plate to just fruit. The first day it was surprisingly pleasant, however the second time round was not so lucky. The previous day's efforts of custard apple, pineapple, and several other cut fruits were on day two replaced by whole apples and oranges. Nice, a purchase I could have made at the adjacent service station for about 90% less on price, and I have the added benefit of peeling and carving the fruit myself with a blunt butter knife. Consideration at this hotel is continuing to be key to guest satisfaction it looks like.
The punch line of this particular part of my story is that by the third day, when I rang to order a tuna sandwich and asked to have the chicken sandwich, which I had myself brought up from the restaurant in-house the night before, I was answered with "No meat products are permitted in the room." So clearly the American flag hanging in the hotel lobby is by no means a representation of American values (freedom of religion???) How nice to see that local customs are not just imposed, rather FORCED down our throats on a daily basis. After a heated discussion RE: chicken sandwich, we ended up at the tuna sandwich instead. "Ah so you like the tuna sandwich" the voice on the other end of the phone smirked. Well it's not like you leave me much choice, I thought. On the plus side I did discover that this hotel does in fact have a sense of humor - even if extremely dry on most days.
Additional side notes, RE: room service, was the maid service - which on several occasions seemed to enjoy opening the door to the room and waking us up around 9 in the morning, despite the 'do not disturb' sign on the door. Firstly, let me straighten out that it's not that I don't enjoy sleeping in, however I work late most nights, and going to bed at 6, usually doesn't mean waking up at nine. Secondly, thanks for respecting the guest's right to privacy.
One positive however, was the towels that were brought to the room on the last day at the hotel, despite requesting no maid service. However, some toilet paper would have been appreciated also, small oversight there.

12. Woke up sick this morning. Both of us in the toilet for the entire morning. It seemed as though we had both received a mild case of food poisoning from our 600 shekel Friday night dinner, last night.
I spent the morning in some level of agony lying by the pool (trick to getting a towel is getting there around 8 in the morning, before anyone else does), while the number two of our traveling party spend most of the day in bed, (and having a nasty case of number twos) I'm afraid.
Fly out late tomorrow night - weren't offered late checkout of anything like that of course, hardly surprised by now. Thinking of heading down to Tel Aviv tomorrow to have a look at the markets etc. - let's see if Concierge will be of any help determining if everything is open, etc. (I went to the liberty of figuring out our own transport there, just to save the hotel the inconvenience of having to do that for us.)

13. There was an incident at the Spa, with the fish spa one evening. After having used it for several nights before without a problem, I was rather insulted at the point when a male member of staff from the Spa cornered me whilst using the fish spa, to yell at me whilst furiously pointing his finger at a sign in the wall, which seemed to be in Hebrew, reflecting the fee applicable for using this service. I honestly don’t have a problem with this (despite seemingly not being a concern on previous occasions, some consistency would be appreciated and perhaps an education for hotel guests, rather than staff just not caring. I refer at this point to the absurd experience I had with the hotel hairdresser. On the second day at the hotel, the blond girl at the spa offered to cut my hair for me, when I asked for this service, however it would not be that day. I was asked to come the next day in the morning and she would make some time. Upon arriving at the spa on the next day, I was informed that she was not scheduled to work for the next week and this was not possible. Now it seems to me like this girl just could not be bothered the previous day as she was too busy sitting at the spa front desk texting on her phone, with a half empty bottle of wine next to her – is drinking at work permitted at this hotel??) Back to the fish spa – I was actually offended and find this sort of rude behavior towards guests both confronting and unacceptable. Out of courtesy to the situation, I politely agreed with him, however telling him to “fu*k off” would have also been an acceptable response to the situation. Suffice to say that the service was never even signed for and just “appeared” on the hotel bill. Is this acceptable accounting practice at this hotel also?
Final highlights of our stay I list below, due to having already been most exhaustive in this opinion at this point.

14. Arriving back at the hotel one evening, we were met by a completely unfriendly and actually rather rude female security staff member, who did not offer a greeting or welcome to the hotel, instead she just barked at us that we were required to give her the room number before entering the hotel. She did not even bother to hold the door open for us. Don’t expect it in most cases, at a hotel however, is certainly a point of scrutiny after the fact however.
15. Entering the lift one day, I met another member of staff who was busy cleaning the glass with a surface spray. Completely disregarding that I had entered, he continued to clean the glass, spraying in my face and actually asking me to move out of his way so that he could continue to clean. Now this to me was a low point, despite the complete and utter disregard of any level of respect for hotel guests. However again, a running theme at this hotel, so not surprised at this point either.
Let me finish this ‘essay’ with some mention of my level of expectation from my experience at a hotel together with briefly relating this back to the Ramada brand.
I can appreciate that this is not a 5 star hotel for example, which carries the expectation of offering on virtually every level stellar hospitality towards guests and I have come to expect a high level of warmth and commitment towards me as a guest of any hotel of a certain level. The experience received in at the Ramada in Netanya however did not even closely resemble this expectation. The Ramada Brand I am familiar with from staying at properties in Australia and the United States. Thereby, I have had the opportunity of experiencing the grade of service offered by this brand in a general sense, something that this property fell short of.
Our last day however did reflect two positive experiences with members of staff at the front desk. Liat was most helpful and friendly with printing documents required for travel and meetings in Berlin the next day and finally, the front desk manager who provided me with checkout at 2 in the morning was concerned enough to listen to some of my concerns regarding our stay and forward this onto the Guest Relations Manager of the hotel, (and offered to personally carry our bags down to the car for us, very kind) which was a positive note on which to end our stay. Even if the security staff out front seemed to reflect the generally disinterested attitude we had discovered the security personnel to maintain here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business