“Unaesthetical and unspiritual”

The Church of the Annunciation
Ranked #2 of 32 things to do in Nazareth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Built on the grotto where Mary is believed to have lived and the Site of the Annunciation, this basilica houses a collection of excavated remnants of churches from the Crusader and Byzantine eras.
Reviewed April 6, 2014

What a disappointment! It is an impersonal experience, big and ugly church and not at all the spiritual experience you expect.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,253)
All reviews
in 62 reviews
"world"
in 173 reviews

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I think that visiting this place is going to be enjoyed much more depending on how it is presented. We had an amazing private guide that made the place come alive. I'm not saying at all that you won't enjoy this on your own since that honestly is the way I tend to usually travel, but this was one of the stops on our Christian private tour and our guide really knew his Bible history and even for those of us that didn't seem to have the entire Bible memorized, he was able to give enough feeling to what everything was that I was just in awe for every place he brought us.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

I was not looking forward to visiting Nazareth, especially after a disappointing visit to Bethlehem earlier on our trip, but the BasilIca of the Annunciation just overwhelmed me. What a tremendous architectural masterpiece! As others have said, it is a modern piece, made from concrete, but the design is so lovely, especially the multi level interior, that you would never think of it being made by such sterile stuff. The interior of the courtyard walls and the interior of the basilica are adorned with art work contributed by countries all around the world (I have to admit that I found the US contribution rather unappealing). Words can't describe the interior, it must be seen to be believed. We spent 2 1/2 weeks in Israel and Jordan (Petra and Wadi Rum), and I consider the visit to the basilica one of the highlights of the entire trip.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

The Basilica of the annunciation is modern, dating from 1960's. The church is nice, but does not have the charm of those in Jerusalem or Bethlehem which are older. The city of Nazareth itself is new, and does not have much interest. If you do not visit it, you do not loose much.