“Our Worst Restaurant Meal Ever!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Tucson
“Our Worst Restaurant Meal Ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

It's slim pickin's on Sunday nights in Artesia. Regretfully, we opted for La Fonda. The service was ho-hum, the atmosphere not at all inviting, but the food was horrible. The 'chicken' my husband ordered seemed like frozen, pressed meat, the sauce thick and tasteless, the rice a mound of hard goop, the beans encrusted and cold. My topopo salad was beyond hideous with a mixture of beef (gristly) and chicken (mushy), blah beans, Fritoes (why?), wilted lettuce, and a stale flour tortilla shell bowl. We could barely swallow the bites we ate and decided to leave without making dents in our plates. The clueless waiter asked if we wanted containers. To top it off, the restroom was not clean. I regret paying for that meal.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars

Ajijic, Mexico
“Large Portions.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We are camping south of Artesia and visited La Fonda on the recommendation of another camper. We weren't sure if it was a Mexican Restaurant, or Southwest dishes, but it seems to be some of everything. I was disappointed that I could not get a cold beer to wash down a very heavy lunch, but learned too late that La Fonda does not serve alcohol. I had the fajitas, which were covered in chili and some other unidentifiable sauce. It was way too heavy for me. My husband had pollo loco which was okay, not great because beans were dry and crusty. We decided that everything was probably pre- cooked and heated up in the microwave. Average food, average service.

• Visited July 2013
Lubbock, Texas
“Great authentic Mexican food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I haven't been here since I was a kid but it was just as good as I remember. We had a selection of Mexican food and a hamburger.

The stuffed sopapillas were awesome and huge! We had a great experience and the waitress was really nice.

Very generous portions and reasonable prices.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Good service, average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This place was very family friendly with excellent service. The Mexican food is average, but given the limited number of restaurants in town I would still eat there again.

Visited May 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Taco Salad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Try the Chicken Taco Salad. The restaurant is homey and the service friendly. Not a bad option for dinner in town.

Visited March 2013