“can be great but service is uneven in high season”

The Old Man and the Sea
Ranked #14 of 116 Restaurants in Jaffa
Cuisines: Israeli
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: El Ajami
Description: Ernest Hemingway's 1952 novel The Old Man and the Sea depicts the world of a poor Cuban fisherman who fights the wild sea. These elements of sea, fish and noble nature have also inspired the establishment of the well-known restaurant on Jaffa's Kedem Street - The Old Man and the Sea.
Reviewed June 22, 2016

Exquisite display of delicious salads makes this an eye-poppingly fun restaurant when you first arrive. However, depending on the crowds, you can beg for water and wait a LONG time for the extras you might order. By the time the main course comes you may find you're full. Recommend you pay for salads and split an appetizer. Surrounding area is under construction so if you cab there you may want to do so in daylight if you have older guests with you as sidewalk from old city is uneven. Site is beautiful - highly recommend sitting outside. Have been here several times - my views of it range from five star (when I went with one other person) to 2 stars (group of 12) so though they can accommodate large groups it may be best to sample with smaller parties.

Date of visit: June 2016
Write a reviewReviews (4,109)

Reviewed June 22, 2016

We came to Ha Zaken ve ha Yam on our last day with friends and had an incredible lunch. Talk about salads! The spreads were never ending, and wait staff was always available to refill. Incredible quality of food. Truly an amazing dining experience.

Reviewed June 22, 2016 via mobile

We were recently taken by our Israeli relatives to The Old Man And The Sea in the port of Jaffe. What an experience!!! We had just sat down at the table and the waiter arrived with at least 15 small dishes with dips, salads, falafel etc. And those dishes kept coming!! THEN they asked what we'd like for our main meal. I was sooo full that was it for me. The restaurant is enormous, dining inside or outside. Great atmosphere. A great night.

Reviewed June 21, 2016

My husband and I are not big fish-eaters, but that's okay here, even with the name of the restaurant! They bring you 23 small dishes (the menu said 20) of salads and falafel with pita, all of which were very good, then the main entrees. We got chicken kebab and steak, both of which were delicious. We could not finish all the food, but we wanted to keep eating it was so good. They serve you either coffee or tea with a small dessert after, and the meals come with lemonade. We had a seat right by the window, and we greatly enjoyed our last meal in Israel at this restaurant!

Reviewed June 20, 2016

My friends and I visited The Old Man And The Sea one mid week evening.

The place was full to capacity, the hostess was busy elsewhere, I caught the eye of on of the waiters and within a few seconds we were seated at a table outside right by the water front.

15 small dishes of salads, dips and Falafel, were served at an amazing speed together with a jag of cold Lemonade and hot Pittas.
All Salads, dips and falafel tasted excellent. My favourite was the Falafel, on of the best one I have tasted.
For my main course I had Chicken Kebabs, my friends had grilled fish. We all enjoyed our main courses.
We had Mint Leafs Tea with some sweets on the house.. how nice.

I look forward to my Next visit to The Old and The Sea.

Ron Ben-Zvi.