“mamas dishes with sugar daddy's prices”
Review of Margaret Tayar

Margaret Tayar
Ranked #64 of 99 Restaurants in Jaffa
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Year in and year out Margaret Tatar, a widow to a former politician, cooks her great delicious food by the Jaffa port. Politicians actors etc still go there for the food, but the real shabby decor and the " asta mañana " behavior of the service is probably not worth the pricy meal. It always feels as if they bill you based on the way you look, since there is no menu on sight. The food is libyan, delicious, really, and the couscous is devilish. If that's your kind of food and you happen to be there with your pockets full of cash, pass by. At least you will experience something that is not do ordinary, service and all.

2  Thank YAELMOSES
There are newer reviews for Margaret Tayar

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Very good stuffed sardines, delicious morrocan couscous.
But prices are outrageous. Too expensive for the simple food served

1  Thank Rina22Israel
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We walked to Jafa along the beach or bike/walk path. On our way, I asked a woman who looked like a good source where she would recommend eating if I wanted food typical of the area. She said that if price wasn't an issue, try Margaret Tayar.

Most if not all the tables are outside on a very unimpressive patio with lots of flies, stray cats, and very little if any view. Another reviewer commented about how long it took to get a tablecloth. We never got one

We both ordered couscous, my wife vegetarian couscous and I ordered the meat couscous. We were told it would take about 30 minutes which was encouraging since when we first arrived we saw all the appetizers sitting on a counter in the small space just inside the entrance exposed to flies and the customers passing by on the way to the restroom which didn't look too appetizing let alone healthy and we felt a long cooking phase of anything might be good. My dish arrived warm at best and not even close to decent. The meat was difficult to find and the dish bland.

I would never return to this place and it was expensive on top of being terrible all around.

I repeat, do not eat here.

2  Thank WyoBruin
Reviewed April 7, 2013

wonderful view of yafo. eat outside, relax, and enjoy. i don't think it's more expensive than any other place with equivalent food. the couscous specials are just wonderful - stuffed artichokes the size of your fist, vegetables, and a shell of cauliflower with meat and moroccan seasonings. when you can taste the touch of cinnamon in the dish, and wash down your meal with a bit of thick coffee, you have something to dream about until your next trip. if you want fast service, and fancy linens, and foofy drinks, stay at the beach hotels; if you want to experience cooking that's been passed down to margaret -- who you can find busy in the kitchen -- in a place suggested to me by one of my "favorite locals" then pull up a plastic lawn chair and enjoy.

2  Thank snowmanonfire
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Very very good couscous. Great view of the sea and tel aviv coast. They've been around since 1977.
Couldn't understand why we were alone till I got the bill, 51$ for a sample of salads, one plate of couscous and two beers!
The location makes it worth it!

3  Thank DrRobertRehovot